1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Probably tweed. You get those at various menswear shops. As for one in that particular Prince of Wales check, couldn't tell ya.
    I tend to consider seasonal propriety a weather thing rather than a date thing. The historical development of menswear would support that. If it's still 85 in December, feel free to wear linen!
    Depends. For dress shirts, snaps are a big no no. For casual shirts, go right ahead. They're very common on western styled shirts. Wear a short sleeve one in summer (tucked in) in place of a polo, or wear a long sleeve version in fall with a canvas jacket.

2. D.B.Cooper

D.B.Cooper Senior member

Is there a rule of thumb about how much the waist of a pair of trousers can be taken in before the overall look and shape is comprised?

3. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Along with white and blue, cream may work, depending on the tone of the gray. I have a very light lilac Barba that might work with a very sober tie. I would stick with solid shirts.

4. Yuckers

Yuckers Member

What's a good store to buy casual clothes for a 62-year-old retired man?

I was leaning towards stores like J.CREW.

Mistake?

Good idea?

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

J Crew certainly works well enough. Plenty of other places where you can find adult casual pieces, but Jcrew has a decent selection of that style and makes quality stuff.

6. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

I'm pretty sure that's a picture of a girl... The jacket itself looks like a pretty generic tweed jacket in PoW.

7. Dope Nixon

Dope Nixon Well-Known Member

Are Allen Edmonds Barton a good choice for private school shoes? Is it worth getting them re-soled?

8. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

Just my opinion,those shoes are ugly you can buy better shoes for the price.

9. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Seconded. I am a fan of AE, but these are some of the least attractive shoes they make.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  10. Juba

Juba Member

I have a question that probably have been asked dozens of times before.

What is the difference between a Sport Coat, a Blazer, and a Suit Jacket?

I can usually tell a Sport Coat/Blazer (if they are the same thing) and a Suit Jacket, but my "confusion" stems from the fact that some Sport Coats look just like suit jackets and vice versa.

Please reply, I really need a clarification on this.

11. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Whether or not the jacket comes with matching pants.

There's no difference in construction. Mainly the difference is in fabric selection- stripes don't tend to look good worn on their own, so they're very rare in sportcoats. Rough and heavy fabrics would make a suit way too warm for the modern climate controlled world, so tweeds and such are mostly restricted to sportcoats these days.

And there is a difference between sportcoat and blazer, though most people use them interchangeably. Sportcoats are made with fun fabrics to be worn casually (back when such things were truly casual), while blazers are evolved from uniforms. They were originally designed go show organizational affiliation- military, school, yachting team. Generally a plain fabric with metal buttons. Actual uniform ones will have a patch on the breast pocket.

13. domenickb

domenickb Active Member

Is it appropriate to wear a hat to a somewhat informal wedding?

I have an itch to pair a herringbone short brim fedora with my grey suit

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Thank you very much! That's good news for me. And if people look at me funny, I'll just say, You, sir, obviously lack an understanding of the his-to-ry of mens-wear.
    :satisfied:

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

For a private high school kid? Get some cheap, cool-looking driving shoes, and wear them into the ground. (And keep in mind all driving shoes are cheap and will wear out, regardless of the price tag).
    :slayer:

[​IMG]

16. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Do not wear a fedora. Just don't.

[​IMG]

17. domenickb

domenickb Active Member

That's not fair.

I'm not a ginger.

18. Juba

Juba Member

Thanks cptjeff.

So if I happen to have a suit jacket (with or without its matching pants), is it "OK' to wear that suit jacket with non-matching pants?

Lets say I have a navy suit jacket, can I just wear it with any color? like grey for instances? What is the fashion rules (so to speak) on this issue?

And thanks again for the clarification.

19. squelchy451

squelchy451 Senior member

I have a really cheap suit. I have a budget of around $500. New suit or take the cheap one to a tailor?

20. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

It depends on how 'suity' the jacket is. If it's really fine with no pattern, it probably won't work as a sportcoat.

Some jackets are very obviously parts of suits. Those you shouldn't wear on their own. Others you can. It's a case by case situation.

There have been various threads detailing what you can and can't do in this regard, I would suggest searching the forum and reading through a few.