1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kb11235

kb11235 Member

I am looking for some new loafers. I am willing to spend about $200. Any good values out there?

2. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

Is there a gift card sales thread in the new BS?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. DLeeds

DLeeds New Member

Hi guys, I'm new here and I have a quick question. I've always taken pride in the way I look but I've recently come to realize that my clothes don't fit my body type very well. I'm 5'7 and thin, most of clothes seem to fit pretty loose and I would prefer a European/slimmer type fit. Is it possible for a tailor to change to cut of my clothes? Would it even be cost efficient? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate your advice!

-Daniel

4. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

5. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

How do I create a new thread in the "buying and selling" section? I can't find any button anywhere.

6. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

Depends on how close the fit is off the rack. Best thing to do is bring something in to a good tailor and get their opinion.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Does anybody know an online source for quality sewing materials, such as needles, silk twist and so on? Or at least good brands to stick with?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

9. patrickBOOTH

Awesome, thanks a bunch.

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

The answer is "it depends." Some things - slimming a shirt or pants are pretty easy. Some, like taking in the shoulders of a jacket, can be done, but are usually not worth it due to the cost and complicated work involved. This blog is a useful primer on the subject. http://mensstyleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/what-tailor-can-cant-do-part-1-suit.html

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Most welcome. Planning on making button holes?

12. patrickBOOTH

Yes, sir. Hand stitched shirts as well.

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

That is great. Hope to see the making and results on the forum. Good luck.

14. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Orphan jacket or sports coat? I still don't trust my judgement, but im thinking orphan. let me know the rationale, please. Thanks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

15. rexor12

rexor12 Senior member

im saying orphaned, but mostly because traiano is the name for a neiman marcus suit line. might be a odd jacket in the style though, cant say

16. patrickBOOTH

Thanks for the luck! I will post on teh forvm for sure.

17. viator

viator Senior member

I recently purchased a pair of RLPL linen pants off eBay. The care tag says to dry clean them only. Is there a good reason for this, or should I feel free to machine wash in cold water and line dry?

18. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Dry clean them........Linen is a pain in the ass with wrinkles, shrinking, dimensional changes, etc. etc. Even hand washing will result in a mess of wrinkles you don't want to deal with.

Between cleanings hang them from the waistband - then iron before wearing. (I hang other fabrics from the cuff to pull out wrinkles - but find linen is to flexible for this treatement.

19. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Per the rules posted at the top of all the buying and selling forums, new members have to either wait 45 days or buy into the premium seller program.

20. Abstraktmind

Abstraktmind Senior member

Can I get shoulder pads removed from my suit? Bought a suit from Ebay, love everything but the shoulder pads, as I have broad shoulders at it is.