• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Things that can be fixed: Vent(s) can be added, lapel can easily be rolled.

what the hell?

vents CANNOT be added. it is impossible.

existing vents can be sewn closed. that's it. vents cannot be created out of a ventless jacket.

Scotty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
what the hell?

vents CANNOT be added. it is impossible.

existing vents can be sewn closed. that's it. vents cannot be created out of a ventless jacket.

Yeah, that's what I thought but researching the forum I found the link to this:
http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-vents-to.html
that says it's not possible but if you read the last answer there's some hope if you have some extra fabric to add. In fact, my mother in law, who is doing all the alterations to the jacket, told me that she could try to make a center vent if I can find some similar enough fabric to add, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle as I also read about ventless that It's more a question of preference that a real faux-pas (with all respect and gratitude to onix for his answers).

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
what the hell? vents CANNOT be added. it is impossible. existing vents can be sewn closed. that's it. vents cannot be created out of a ventless jacket.
Not impossible. Depends on your jacket. I have vent added to a MTM ventless dinner jacket (after the first fitting)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scotty
Yeah, that's what I thought but researching the forum I found the link to this: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/...-vents-to.html that says it's not possible but if you read the last answer there's some hope if you have some extra fabric to add. In fact, my mother in law, who is doing all the alterations to the jacket, told me that she could try to make a center vent if I can find some similar enough fabric to add, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle as I also read about ventless that It's more a question of preference that a real faux-pas (with all respect and gratitude to onix for his answers).
Yeah, people have different perspectives, it's ok
smile.gif
Also, my answer to you about adding vent was without thinking too much. Since all of my jacket was MTM (closer to bespoke than the traditional MTM), it's quite easy for me to change my mind about about vent, so for me it's always possible. But I guess it's much harder for a RTW piece.

lennon

Reaction score
Anybody know the length for custom fit polo size S and M front and back?
I am 170 cm and 130pound ,which size suite me best,will the M size be too long

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up some sport coats and I can't find much in my size/price range. I'm skinny and wear a size 36. Other than Brooks Bros. where can I find decent SCs in the sub $500 range?

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Looking to construct some work ensembles. Just started full-time in Jan. and looking to purchase some new shirts, slacks, shoes, socks. The most important being the first 3. I have an athletic build at 5'8 160lbs and looking for a nice slim fit with my shirts and pants. Recommendations? I was thinking Incotex for some black pants. I hear those are slim-fit. I found some for 199 on Gilt-Man, good price?

Shirts I see a lot of choices on Gilt man however I always act too late and miss out. What are some brands and their fits that I should look out for? Also if there are stores that I should go visit please name them. Thanks in advance!

zerostyle

Reaction score
A question for average-ish height guys and suit sizes: I'm 5'9, but feel like the short sizes in suits fit me better than regular sizes for most suit makers. (38s vs 38r). This excludes the intentionally short brands. When I go to try on suits, most salesmen think I'm absolutely insane to even consider a short at my height. Am I way off? Any other 5'9 guys here wear shorts? I feel like I'm somewhere in between, but the regulars seem just a bit too long on me and seem to make my legs look really short. Most charts/salesmen seem to think 5'7 or so should be the cutoff, though it obviously depends on the manufacturer. Sample images here. This is the 38 regular. (Ignore the sleeves/pants, they are untailored. I'm mostly commenting on the length of the jacket) According to the manufacturer the length of the suit from BOC (bottom of collar) on this suit is 29.5". The short version of this jacket is only about 1/2" shorter at 28.9"
front-2-1.jpg
side-1-1.jpg

RyanAnderson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
A question for average-ish height guys and suit sizes:

I'm 5'9, but feel like the short sizes in suits fit me better than regular sizes for most suit makers. (38s vs 38r). This excludes the intentionally short brands.

When I go to try on suits, most salesmen think I'm absolutely insane to even consider a short at my height. Am I way off?

Any other 5'9 guys here wear shorts? I feel like I'm somewhere in between, but the regulars seem just a bit too long on me and seem to make my legs look really short. Most charts/salesmen seem to think 5'7 or so should be the cutoff, though it obviously depends on the manufacturer.

Sample images here. This is the 38 regular. (Ignore the sleeves/pants, they are untailored. I'm mostly commenting on the length of the jacket)

According to the manufacturer the length of the suit from BOC (bottom of collar) on this suit is 29.5".
The short version of this jacket is only about 1/2" shorter at 28.9"

front-2-1.jpg

side-1-1.jpg

I am in the same position. I go with shorts, I think the longer jacket makes me look shorter, as it does for you in the pics.

Hendrix23

Reaction score
I was wondering if it was possible for tailors to turn french cuffs into barrel cuffs. Basically I'm kinda tall with longer arms, and wear 17" neck, 36/37 sleeves. I'm also on a bit of a budget so thrifting is the best option for now. It seems I have a hard time finding barrel cuffs that are in my dimensions. But it seems like with the extra length of material in the sleeves in french cuffs maybe something could be done. possible?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
...most salesmen think I'm absolutely insane to even consider a short at my height.

Really? I'm 5'9 and always need a short. Most regular cuts look shabby to freakishly long...I've never had a salesman blink at this, though.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Really? I'm 5'9 and always need a short. Most regular cuts look shabby to freakishly long...I've never had a salesman blink at this, though.

Yup, I've received this response at Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, and Saks. Feeling a little better about it now, though.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not your height that matters but the length of your torso. I don't think that jacket looks overly long. Could you go shorter? Try it on and see.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What shoes would you wear with this suit ? Thanks for your replies ... much appreciated
stile_1006st18aa.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads