• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
What is this color #8 for Alden shoes? I was thinking about buying a shoe in "Dark Burgundy" but I don't see colors labeled as numbers.... !!

Yes, Alden #8 is basically dark burgundy. Due to the popularity of the name "#8", and abundance number of pictures online, it's more accurate to describe a color as #8 then dark burgundy.

TRA8324

Reaction score
what color pants would you recommend for these shoes? I think it's a nice looking pair of shoes, but i'm having trouble picturing pants to wear them with...i'm almost thinking a pair of medium-wash jeans might look pretty good

ae1.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Quick question regarding a proper fitting suit:

Some time ago I picked up a suit that seemed to fit me pretty well.

However, I am noticing that the collar of the suit doesn't really ride up next to my shirt collar properly. (It ends up exposing a lot of shirt collar).

I'll post pictures in a bit, but I imagine this is a common problem.

What's the usual issue? Suit too large in general? Would too wide of a yoke cause this? (It runs just a touch big in the shoulder for me by maybe 0.5" I think)

The chest/waist are fairly snug for me, so there's no way I could drop from a 38 to a 36.

Could be too big, could be too small. It could be the make, or model. Suits (most) don't have a yoke. Basically, the back neck isn't long enough. Generally off the rack suits have the opposite problem, where are roll occurrs behind the collar and the back neck can be shortened to reduce the roll. I am not sure if going the other way is something that a tailor can do. Try asking a local tailor.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRA8324
what color pants would you recommend for these shoes? I think it's a nice looking pair of shoes, but i'm having trouble picturing pants to wear them with...i'm almost thinking a pair of medium-wash jeans might look pretty good

ae1.jpg

Medium grey, medium blue.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would these BB shoes fit someone who wears 9.5 UK in CJ ? Thanks for your help

Surreal

Reaction score
Just bought this ZARA suit. I kind of didn't have a choice, because I don't have a suit for job interviews, and this one seemed to fit me best. It's regular fit not slim unfortunately. None of the slim suits fit me. How is the suit and pants and how is the look altogether? It's wool.

zarasuitregular.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
Just bought this ZARA suit. I kind of didn't have a choice, because I don't have a suit for job interviews, and this one seemed to fit me best. It's regular fit not slim unfortunately. None of the slim suits fit me. How is the suit and pants and how is the look altogether? It's wool.

zarasuitregular.jpg

Those pictures are hard to tell, they don't show enough to get too nitpicky, but I would say that your jacket is way to short and the sides and back could use some shaping by a tailor.

Surreal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Those pictures are hard to tell, they don't show enough to get too nitpicky, but I would say that your jacket is way to short and the sides and back could use some shaping by a tailor.

You mean it is too short in the sleeves or generally? Shaping by tailor - you mean take in the sides to make it appear slimmer in the waist?

maker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maker
So I just found SF, after following what looks to be a typical path:
1. need some nice clothes
2. realize I want what I can't afford
3. think of checking ebay
4. Go nuts over anything with a designer label (Zegna, Armani)
5. Obsess over auctions
6. Buy something random (a mislabeled designer(?) jacket - Nardelli, not Mardelli (is this a decent designer?))
7. Find StyleForum and realize I have no idea what I am doing.

Here's my purchase:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...SA%3AUS%3A1123

I am going on a cruise in March to the carribbean on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. 1st cruise.

I used to dress okay 15 years ago (not by sf standards). I lived in Boston and haunted Filenes Basement.

We got moths. So now I have 1 suit - charcoal pinstripe Jones New York from Mens Wearhouse (embarrassed).

I like to dress up. So I would like to get a blue blazer, and some kind of sportcoat.

What do you guys think of the above jacket as a blazer? Is it an orphaned suitcoat? The tag says drop 6, does that mean it was a suit, or is that term also used to describe the chest to waist of a jacket? It was a gamble, and a cheap one at that, so I can start over if need be.

Thanks for your help
m

So no one has any opinions on my ebay Nardelli Jacket?
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=6313

Is it a blazer?

mrscrouge

Reaction score
I got a (new) Brooks brothers navy blazer for 160$. I received it and it looks nice but it says made in Israel? I though they were made in America. Also the gold buttons seem kind flimsy . However , theseller has almost 100% with 3000+ sales

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
You mean it is too short in the sleeves or generally? Shaping by tailor - you mean take in the sides to make it appear slimmer in the waist?

The hem, the bottom of the jacket is very short. Also, your shot from the back the back of the jacket looks like you are wearing a garbage bag. It needs some tailoring.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrscrouge
I got a (new) Brooks brothers navy blazer for 160$. I received it and it looks nice but it says made in Israel? I though they were made in America. Also the gold buttons seem kind flimsy . However , theseller has almost 100% with 3000+ sales

Off the top of my head I recall seeing BB jackets made in Israel and Italy.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsitsikov
I bought a suit off ebay. The waist on the pants is an inch and a half less than in the listing. It's MTM, no tags. No seam allowance.

I will contact the seller next, but I was wondering what I should expect? He accepts returns, but it's international and I would be annoyed if I had to pay the shipping both ways. I've read the ebay directions for item not as described, but I was wondering if anybody has any insights for the specific scenario? If he says I should return and pay the shipping fees, should I open a case with ebay?

IMO, 1.5 inches is too big an error. He should reimburse you for shipping. I would.

mrtef3

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads