• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jhe0417

Reaction score

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scotty
My father in law gave me this houndstooth jacket ............
My mother in law, a great non professional seamstress that makes all the tailoring for the family...

Your wife have an unmarried sister?

chapuchi

Reaction score
Can someone drop me a list of sites that carry some Junya? That isn't ssense or tresbienshop?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vncrz
Question about shoe care: Will the build up of shoe polish on the areas where spit shine is applied (I only do the toe) prevent the leather from properly conditioning when applying conditioner during the next polishing session?

Yes. The whole point of a spit shine is that you're filling in all the pores and creating a perfectly smooth wax surface. But you don't really need to condition every polish, considering all real polishes (no guarantees for something that comes on a sponge or in a bottle) have some form of oil in them to condition.

Scotty

Reaction score
In fact, she does. Are you visiting Spain any time soon ?
wink.gif
Any thoughts about the jacket?

Scotty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
Your wife have an unmarried sister?

In fact, she does . Are you visiting Spain any time soon ?
wink.gif

Any thoughts about the jacket, by the way?

maker

Reaction score
So I just found SF, after following what looks to be a typical path:
1. need some nice clothes
2. realize I want what I can't afford
3. think of checking ebay
4. Go nuts over anything with a designer label (Zegna, Armani)
5. Obsess over auctions
6. Buy something random (a mislabeled designer(?) jacket - Nardelli, not Mardelli (is this a decent designer?))
7. Find StyleForum and realize I have no idea what I am doing.

Here's my purchase:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...SA%3AUS%3A1123

I am going on a cruise in March to the carribbean on Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. 1st cruise.

I used to dress okay 15 years ago (not by sf standards). I lived in Boston and haunted Filenes Basement.

We got moths. So now I have 1 suit - charcoal pinstripe Jones New York from Mens Wearhouse (embarrassed).

I like to dress up. So I would like to get a blue blazer, and some kind of sportcoat.

What do you guys think of the above jacket as a blazer? Is it an orphaned suitcoat? The tag says drop 6, does that mean it was a suit, or is that term also used to describe the chest to waist of a jacket? It was a gamble, and a cheap one at that, so I can start over if need be.

Thanks for your help
m

Guvnor

Reaction score
Though I recently turned 30 but my hair started to turn grey too quickly, within a year I have bunch of 'em... only front hair are turned grey though... most of the friends says if I colour all may turn white Is it true?
Is there any way not to color instead make them lesser grey?
Or I should colour them?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guvnor
Though I recently turned 30 but my hair started to turn grey too quickly, within a year I have bunch of 'em... only front hair are turned grey though... most of the friends says if I colour all may turn white Is it true?
Is there any way not to color instead make them lesser grey?
Or I should colour them?

You should ask this question in the Health & Body subforum: http://www.styleforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6

zerostyle

Reaction score
Quick question regarding a proper fitting suit:

Some time ago I picked up a suit that seemed to fit me pretty well.

However, I am noticing that the collar of the suit doesn't really ride up next to my shirt collar properly. (It ends up exposing a lot of shirt collar).

I'll post pictures in a bit, but I imagine this is a common problem.

What's the usual issue? Suit too large in general? Would too wide of a yoke cause this? (It runs just a touch big in the shoulder for me by maybe 0.5" I think)

The chest/waist are fairly snug for me, so there's no way I could drop from a 38 to a 36.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a friend with a tuff of grey hair at 15. It never got any worse until he lost all his hair.

Farmgate

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying these Zellis, which are on sale for less than $200. They're lighter brown in natural light:

http://hansensclothing.com/display.asp?id=8764

Is the fashion forward split toe look ok for someone under 40? The suit is cut slim.

Also, will I be able to wear them with dark gray trousers?

Thanks for any advice.

tsitsikov

Reaction score
I bought a suit off ebay. The waist on the pants is an inch and a half less than in the listing. It's MTM, no tags. No seam allowance.

I will contact the seller next, but I was wondering what I should expect? He accepts returns, but it's international and I would be annoyed if I had to pay the shipping both ways. I've read the ebay directions for item not as described, but I was wondering if anybody has any insights for the specific scenario? If he says I should return and pay the shipping fees, should I open a case with ebay?

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
What is this color #8 for Alden shoes? I was thinking about buying a shoe in "Dark Burgundy" but I don't see colors labeled as numbers.... !!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads