• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

zanderman

Reaction score
Hello,

My school Formal is tomorrow night. I'll be wearing a shawl collar black tux, with a dark blue velvet bowtie just for fun. The thing is, it is cold, and I will need to wear an overcoat. I have only two options: a full length mid-brown tweed with faint red windowpane wool overcoat, or a black, belted, full length rain/overcoat. The latter has a camel hair overcollar. While I know I ought to wear a Chesterfield coat, which of my two options would be less inappropriate?

Many thanks,
Alex

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zanderman
Hello,

My school Formal is tomorrow night. I'll be wearing a shawl collar black tux, with a dark blue velvet bowtie just for fun. The thing is, it is cold, and I will need to wear an overcoat. I have only two options: a full length mid-brown tweed with faint red windowpane wool overcoat, or a black, belted, full length rain/overcoat. The latter has a camel hair overcollar. While I know I ought to wear a Chesterfield coat, which of my two options would be less inappropriate?

Many thanks,
Alex

Probably the latter if only because mid-brown tweed with a tuxedo would be really bad.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
I just bought a SC from a charity shop. It fits pretty great (the sleeves need lengthening a tad but there's matierial to do that.) but the lapels are a little wide for my taste.

How easy is it to narrow lapels, and how much should I expect to pay for it? Oh, the jacket is tweed if it makes any difference and has a PoW check.

Thanks in advance.

See posts 5402, 5403, 5411, and 5414 in this thread.

stevenvg

Reaction score
i've got a croc and what i believe to be pigskin shoes. can i use my meltonian leather lotion on it?

it says on the bottle: "leathers, patents, imitation leathers, reptile skins and vinyls".. which covers pretty much every shoe material.

has anyone used it before on their crocs?

Tom Haverford

Reaction score
In regards to finding the correct collar size for dress shirts, how are you supposed to apply the two finger rule?

It is kind of hard to explain, but are you supposed to slide two fingers in horizontally? or from above vertically?

fingersp.jpg

In the picture on the right, there's two fingers, but it's hidden behind the first one, based on the view.

Thanks!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tom Haverford
In regards to finding the correct collar size for dress shirts, how are you supposed to apply the two finger rule?

It is kind of hard to explain, but are you supposed to slide two fingers in horizontally? or from above vertically?

fingersp.jpg

In the picture on the right, there's two fingers, but it's hidden behind the first one, based on the view.

Thanks!

No need to stick fingers in your collar. If there is no gaps when standing straight, and your neck fat isn't bugling over the collar you are fine. Wear what is comfortable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
i've got a croc and what i believe to be pigskin shoes. can i use my meltonian leather lotion on it?

it says on the bottle: "leathers, patents, imitation leathers, reptile skins and vinyls".. which covers pretty much every shoe material.

has anyone used it before on their crocs?

Never used it, but I would only trust Saphir's exotic skin conditioner.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zanderman
Hello,

Many thanks,
Alex

The raincoat if it is warm enough.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
I just bought a SC from a charity shop. It fits pretty great (the sleeves need lengthening a tad but there's matierial to do that.) but the lapels are a little wide for my taste.

How easy is it to narrow lapels, and how much should I expect to pay for it? Oh, the jacket is tweed if it makes any difference and has a PoW check.

Thanks in advance.

A good tailor can do this, but if there is a button hole in the lapel it will be an issue because it will ride too close to the edge of the lapel and look far worse than lapels that are too big. Depending on the stitching that you want done on the lapels I would say it would run you about $120 for machine stitching, and it would vary and be higher for any hand pick stitching and such. In my opinion it is not worth altering it. Too many potential issues.

Ag229487

Reaction score
Does anyone own the BB Fitzgerald Donegal sport coat and can attest to its quality?

I am looking at the black/white one. Anyone have pics of it in real life?

beansach

Reaction score
smoke colored shoes.... what do you all think.

Seen them worn sharp with green cords and a tweed coat and felt inspired.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads