Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

What is meant when sellers speak of a drop in sit size? For example (I'm making this up) "The suit is a 54 R drop 7". Thanks.
    In your example, the trousers would be a size 47W. The drop is the size of the trousers in relation to the size of the jacket.

2. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

3. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Another question - based on SFers experience typically what stuff that you buy on here can be fitted to your size of you take it to a tailor?

Sports coats, suits, trouser, other....?

I often come across deals I tend to leave out because the coat , otherwise perfect, is a tad bit too long etc.

Obviously I'm not speaking of 'impossible' alterations, just alterations that would take off the lenght by a few inches, or loosen the shoulders, waist to within a near size, etc.

4. rfpgh

rfpgh Active Member

Where can you find sweaters with sleeves on the short side (say 23" shoulder to cuff) so that you don't need to pull them back too much to show the cuff of the shirt you're wearing underneath? Or am I being too fastidious here? I guess if you wear a blazer regularly this is less of an issue.

5. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

That jacket is similar to a CWU-36 US military flight jacket (the green one in this photo). They are common on ebay and sell anywhere from $50 to $150, maybe a little more for a tan one. Some will have velcro for patches and you probably don't want that. They are available in a desert tan color or green. It is an excellent jacket, and fireproof to boot.
    [​IMG]

Steve Smith, [​IMG]

6. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

Where can you find sweaters with sleeves on the short side (say 23" shoulder to cuff) so that you don't need to pull them back too much to show the cuff of the shirt you're wearing underneath? Or am I being too fastidious here? I guess if you wear a blazer regularly this is less of an issue.

Not sure if this will help, but a knit tailor can shorten sleeves for you. If you don't have a decent knit tailor near you, these guys will take orders through the mail.

http://www.knitalteration.com/

I've never used them, FWIW. However, it does seem that they charge about 2-3x as much as the knit tailor near me, so it might be best to find a good knit tailor in your area first. Try giving them some beater knit first though, in order to examine how well they do things.

7. elgreco

elgreco Senior member

Though I have no real reason to doubt the legitimacy of this eBay item, without a picture of the jacket's info tag, I have no way to truly verify. So, I thought I'd run it by the expert eyes here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT Thoughts?

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Weird. I figured a linen square would fall under casual, like a linen shirt does. I guess it differs from piece to piece.

Mind giving me a basic rundown of (what you feel is) the spectrum of sportcoat/suiting fabrics in terms of formality? What materials are more conservative/dressy, and what are considered more casual?

There's no strict spectrum for pocket squares although white linen is definitely the most formal. Roughly speaking, I would say that solids are more formal than patterns and linen more formal than silks. That said, appropriately patterned silk squares are generally acceptable with business suits which might seem like a mismatch in their relative formalities. I would suggest looking through some of the WAYWN photos to get a sense for what constitutes harmonious pocket square/jacket pairings.

9. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Another question - based on SFers experience typically what stuff that you buy on here can be fitted to your size of you take it to a tailor?

Sports coats, suits, trouser, other....?

I often come across deals I tend to leave out because the coat , otherwise perfect, is a tad bit too long etc.

Obviously I'm not speaking of 'impossible' alterations, just alterations that would take off the lenght by a few inches, or loosen the shoulders, waist to within a near size, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but it's worth knowing what a tailor can and can't do. Sleeves and pant legs can be shortened without a problem, and sometimes lengthened a bit if there is extra fabric. Jackets and pants can be slimmed down. Making shoulders smaller will require re-cutting the jacket and is likely not worth it. I don't think anyone can make the shoulders bigger. Shortening a jacket can be done, but proceed with caution.

10. southernstyle

southernstyle Senior member

Does Drakes ship to the United States?

11. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

I have a fit pic I would like to post but I don't know how to post. What do I do?

12. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

What is meant when sellers speak of a drop in sit size? For example (I'm making this up) "The suit is a 54 R drop 7".

Thanks.

In your example, the trousers would be a size 47W. The drop is the size of the trousers in relation to the size of the jacket.

Continuing with drop questions, what does it mean when there's a drop listed in a sport coat? I've picked up one sport coat, size EU54, that lists the drop as 8, and I'm fairly certain it isn't an orphaned suit jacket. On the other hand, I've got another coat which I thought might be an orphan, but it has an "R" drop on the tag, instead of a number.

13. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

I have a fit pic I would like to post but I don't know how to post. What do I do?
    Go to imageshack.com and upload your image. After it's uploaded, an address for the image will appear. Copy that address. Now, in the forum reply box, click the "insert image" button at the top of the box. It's a square with two "mountains" in it and should say "Insert Image" when you hover over it. A window will pop up and ask for the link. Paste it there. Et voila!

14. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

What's shell cordovan and how can you spot it? I'm looking to pick up some shoes for my collection through thrifting and I have no clue how to spot it.

15. chasingred

chasingred Senior member