Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. incastoutcast

incastoutcast Senior member

having a navy blue suit made. Considering i will only be wearing this suit with brown shoes: belt loops, fasteners or braces?

i live in a hot climate and take my jacket off frequently.

I'd say you're best off with belt loops, especially given that you will be taking off your jacket frequently, but I'm not much a fan of the other two options (braces are great, but only with jacket on...)

2. slacker4life

slacker4life New Member

ok so im wearing a white dress shirt under a red v neck sweater...would a striped red tie go with it?

3. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Like the ones on the jacket in the post below? Those are bellows pockets, flapped as is almost always the case with them.

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...90&postcount=1

Those are the ones, thanks for your help

4. A Dapper Fellow

A Dapper Fellow Well-Known Member

What is all your opinion on these: [​IMG] Is the heel too high to the point where it is noticeable?

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Those boots are [​IMG] . Maybe you would get a different reaction from the streetwear and denim crowd.

6. incastoutcast

ok so im wearing a white dress shirt under a red v neck sweater...would a striped red tie go with it?

I'd say it depends on a number of factors - what the stripes are like, what the red is striped with, your complexion. Ultimately, I'd say it's workable, but difficult to pull off well.

As to those boots... yea.... anytime you have to ask about heel height, not a good thing, and honestly, you might be better off looking at a different style entirely.

7. A Dapper Fellow

OK, the heel height was 1.75 inches, that is too big then.
    I will not post another example of that style.

What is a good, fashionable dress/formal boot that has a heel height of around 1.5 inches and a shaft height of 7 inches or more(preferably 8 inches or more)?

8. incastoutcast

I can't speak for exact heel heights and shaft heights, others here probably have more specific knowledge in those regards, but I might recommend looking for something like these: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Just to give an idea of style/quality. I found all those in the "Shoe Pictoral Index" thread

9. dmash

dmash Senior member

Do you guys usually match shoes to belt EXACTLY or alter the color a little. Such as if I'm wanting to get some AE wingtips in Walnut and I got an AE belt in the exact same color scheme..

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Do you guys usually match shoes to belt EXACTLY or alter the color a little. Such as if I'm wanting to get some AE wingtips in Walnut and I got an AE belt in the exact same color scheme..
    Exact if I have it, but close is generally good enough. E.g., tan, mid-brown, and dark brown belts generally cover the entire spectrum of brown shoes. I don't worry about matching more closely than that.

11. A Dapper Fellow

I can't speak for exact heel heights and shaft heights, others here probably have more specific knowledge in those regards, but I might recommend looking for something like these: [​IMG]
    [​IMG] This looks similar to that. It's the same style as the first one I posted but with 1.3" heel rather than 1.75.

12. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

any advice on how to ship a suit??? I jsut sold my RLBL suit and want to make sure it makes its way to the buyer in good shape...

13. incastoutcast

[​IMG]
    This looks similar to that. It's the same style as the first one I posted but with 1.3" heel rather than 1.75.

They may look similar to you, but to me, they look about as far apart as they come. The one you posted has what I believe is called a "bicycle toe" (the two lines running down the front) which, to my eye, looks quite ugly.

The boots you posted look waxy and shiny in a bad way, the better boots have a soft glow to them, a luster. The boots I posted have a longer, more gently tapering toe, which will fit a foot better...

Those are the main points as I'm seeing them now.

14. incastoutcast

any advice on how to ship a suit??? I jsut sold my RLBL suit and want to make sure it makes its way to the buyer in good shape...

1224 posts, and you don't know to look in the best post index?

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=520

I believe that's the thread you're looking for, and I demand an apology.[​IMG]

15. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

My opinion on this, which is worth less than nothing, is that this is a rule everybody knows, so it should be one of the first that you break. If you're wearing an obviously high quality belt and nice shoes, no one is going to think the mismatch is because you don't know any better. I just wouldn't do black and brown. But with different shades of brown and burgundy I say why not?