• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quarters = internet fora-speak. I wish people would stop using this made up term as no such a part of a coat exists. Generally what people mean is the degree of cut away of the front of the skirt.

If the whole of the front of the coat overlaps that can mean it is too long in the front balance. The overlap will be apparent when the coat is unbuttoned. It may be incorrectly cut or else you may have an erect stance. If the latter, then - congratulations - your solution is to go bespoke.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Edited out...

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I have a 3 piece suit with a pair of pants that are unrepairable. It is black with very fine gray dots(invisible at 10 feet). Would it be acceptable to wear the vest, or jacket, or both with plain black trousers of similar looking material? Would that make me look like a tool? I've seen guys wear just a suit vest before as well. Opinions on that?

Crosstalker

Reaction score
Is it conceivable that a good tailor could bring down a 38R to a size somewhere in the neighborhood of 36S (or maybe 36 semi-short)?

ijung

Reaction score
Hi, I am on a very low budget for a sport coat. I bought a lauren ralph lauren but I had to flip it because it was way too wide, and the arm holes were very low. Does anyone know where I can get a slim fit, higher armhole sport coat for around $100ish? Thanks.

ijung

Reaction score
Would you know any brands that are slim fit? Thanks.

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Saw a really nice sports coat at country road... fabric is sateen. Is that a good or bad thing?

agordon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Crosstalker
What about bringing down a 38R to a 38S? Is that possible?

We can't really say how much a tailor can or can't do to a jacket without knowing a lot about the jacket and the tailor.

Your best bet is to take the jacket along to your tailor, explain the problems you have with the fit and talk to him about what he would be able to do to alter the jacket.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
I have a 3 piece suit with a pair of pants that are unrepairable. It is black with very fine gray dots(invisible at 10 feet). Would it be acceptable to wear the vest, or jacket, or both with plain black trousers of similar looking material? Would that make me look like a tool? I've seen guys wear just a suit vest before as well. Opinions on that?

I think with non matching black pants you would look like a tool, as you put it. The vest alone or jacket alone could work.

Swan Song

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Glen plaid has become a generic term for plaid. The origin of the term from the dictionary says it is short for glenurquhart plaid, from Glen Urquhart, a valley in Inverness-shire, Scotland. Where as a Tartan would represent your family of origin a plaid represents your town or area you are from. Prince of Wales is a specific coloration with in the glen plaid genre. The colors of a Prince of Wales plaid were originally a navy blue with burgundy.

I have no idea of the quality of a Paul Smith suit.

After a navy jacket I would get a lighter colored sport coat. Then you have a dark jacket to wear with lighter trouser and a lighter colored jacket to wear with dark trouser. Could be tan, camel, carmel brown, grey, whatever is a good color for your skin tone and works with your trouser selections.

Well, I bought this silk herringbone as my" light" sport coat.

I know a white/ light blue shirt with either a charcoal or dark-navy trouser is fine, what patterns/colors do I avoid with the tie?

Is the rule to stay with solid ties to match the solid pant?

Any pictures or links to pictures would be appreciated.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ijung
Does anyone know where I can get a slim fit, higher armhole sport coat for around $100ish?

When I think cheap and slim fitting, I think Uniqlo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads