1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

i am 177 cm, 5.8 feet (without shoes), should i go for a regular suit or a short ?

What do you normally wear? I'm 5'10" and I was wearing a regular but I switched to short as it covers the behind just enough.

2. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

How long does everybody get out of a pair of dress socks? I find with usual rotation I can get about a year out of them.

I wash the socks myself at home.

I have 5 pairs that I wear on a regular rotation and they its been over a year and they still look good. I've also had some that I bought at some street fair/flea market and they wear out after 6 months.

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Thanks for the reply. The jacket's navy. It came with white plastic buttons.

I can't imagie it with white buttons. Would you consider changing colors on the buttons?

4. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Is it standard to crease chinos or khaki pants for a business casual setting, or for a younger man would it be acceptable to wear flat front chinos without the crease on them ?

I don't think it'll make any difference in a business casual environment.

5. got_nugs

got_nugs New Member

I have a Paul Smith suit, how do I confirm that it is authentic? Just looking for direction as a new SF member. Thanks!

6. Lyon_BC

Lyon_BC Member

I don't think it'll make any difference in a business casual environment.

Thanks for the input....are Navy, Black, Gray, khaki the main colors I should try and stay with for pants in a business casual office? I'd assume those are subtle enough for an engineering office setting.

7. lincolnshirepaul

lincolnshirepaul Active Member

Anyone know where I can find a shirt with a similar or same fabric to the one in this picture here:

[​IMG]

Only the cuff is visible, but I imagine it's not hard to visualise the rest of the shirt.

8. FlyingLotus

FlyingLotus Senior member

Can a tailor take in the collar on a shirt if its a bit loose around the neck ?

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

No.

10. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior member

What do you normally wear? I'm 5'10" and I was wearing a regular but I switched to short as it covers the behind just enough.

I am normally wearing Regular but it seems that it's somewhat long for me. here is the link of a isaia regular suit, u think that it's long ?
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...40#post4363840
    better to go for a short ?

11. Love me style

Love me style New Member

Misunderstanding my instructions, my tailor has stitched a DB suit with wide Fred Astaire style lapels. Is DB still in style, particularly for business wear?

12. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Hey guys,

I'm need to a blazer/sportcoat. I've found a jcrew blazer that's caught my eye.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...2324/42324.jsp

I am not adverse to alternatives, but I am having a hard time finding ones with similar fit.

What do you guys think? alternatives?

Thanks!

Probably fine if it fits your well. These jackets are pretty slim and may look dated in a couple of years. if you like the thin lapels, but want something a little more conservative look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald or Regent fit. There will be a sale soon before Memorial day if they follow the usual pattern.

13. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' ... [sic].
    Right, Prince William (who loves his tassels and tweeds) is so old, I mean, being born in 1982 makes him what? Almost 30 *gasp* ... then there's that whole "old school" prep school crowd who love them, and always will as I do--i.e., Yale, Harvard, Dalhousie, etc. You obviously are not British and/or from the North-East. Tassel loafers (all loafers, really) are old school (aka timeless classics), yes, but hardly are they (or loafers generally) old guy wear ... [​IMG] EDIT: this, unless you mean Italians in Italy (all ages, old and young alike) who sometimes wear loafers as business shoes w/ their suits, but the southern EU continent isn't as conservative as are Brits or North-Eastern North Americans. (Note: if this is what you mean, i.e. pairing loafers w/ a business suit as if they were a formal business shoe then, yes, it looks strange to me, too, but mine are British/North-Eastern sensibilities, so ... [​IMG]

14. rudedog

rudedog Member

In a typical OTR drop-6 suit, how much material is typically available to let out the trousers? I am usually a 40, but have a 35-36" waist. When I see some good deals on places like gilt or yoox, I'm worried that if I buy a 40 there won't be enough material to let out the waist, which is especially a concern for some of the final sale items.

15. Lyon_BC

Lyon_BC Member

What do you think needs to be done to these pants, other than obviously having the length altered for a better fit:

http://min.us/mvoa3Mq

16. RTenenbaum

RTenenbaum Active Member

I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here [​IMG]

Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor?

The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?

17. onix

onix Senior member

I posted this question in the "Slim shirt" thread, but I figure I might get a faster response here [​IMG] Dress shirts tend to be blousey on me when tucked in. Anyone have any luck with buying the cheaper brands of slim fit shirts, such as Arrow "fitted" shirts or the "fitted" Van Heusen shirts, and having them darted by a tailor? The price is right and they fit me well except for blousey-ness around my lower back when tucked in. Would simply having a tailor dart the shirts fix this?
    If you're fine with lower quality shirts with the trouble of alteration, then why not going through online MTM shirts?

18. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

[​IMG]

19. Barnabus

Barnabus Senior member

Anyone here have any experience with a "mazzoni" brand of clothes? There's a leather coat on ebay that i may be able to nab for cheap. Granted if i can get it for the starting bid its a good deal regardless[​IMG] but im wondering how good is the quality is of the brand.? A search on here and online turns up close to nada

20. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' They are also not great for flipping.

OJFC. Alden tassel loafers on the van last, sure. G&G tassel loafers on the Deco last? Something else entirely!

Where can I get suede elbow patches to put on a SC? Online vendors preferred

Thanks for your help

Posted via Tapatalk

Lots of places sell them - Dritz is the most common brand, runs about $8 US for a pair.

Cashmere sweaters, hang or fold?

I've been folding them but I need the space for other stuff. I'm concerned the necks will stretch out if hung, should I be?

Fold!

Yes, but it's never the same.

No.

Why u say this? I've seen it done - it's just not something I'd go for. If the collar and shoulders don't fit on a shirt, it's not worth buying it.

Can anything to be done to repair a gouge on pair of shoes? Or is it just down to lots of Wax?

[​IMG]

What gouge? I see a bit of a scuff, and if these are shell it'll brush out. Calf might require a little more work, but there's a good chance it'll buff out. If not, then go the full route of conditioner, cream and wax and you won't see a trace of it.

If it is an actual gouge, you may have luck using the spoon technique - you apply a little wax, then use the back of a spoon to burnish and smooth the leather - press hard and slide the spoon over the gouge several times.