1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. smk

smk Well-Known Member

Would it look alright to wear a taupe suede desert boots with khakis with colors little lighter than the dbs, with a white dress shirt, and a navy blazer?
    Or should I go with darker shoes?

2. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Thanks BoomDiggs! I... am... not confident about that! But I'll look into it.

One more question tonight:

This is about checking my measurements. What is an acceptable margin of error when comparing my fit to eBay listings? I measured my best-fitting jacket, and the chest width is 20 inches. There's a jacket on ebay with a width of 21 inches. Is that too large a difference?Curiously, I'm an inch off in the other direction on the shoulders. My best fit is 18 inches, the listed jacket is 17. This is an unstructured cotton jacket. What do you think?

Thanks!

3. Makoto Chan

Would it look alright to wear a taupe suede desert boots with khakis with colors little lighter than the dbs, with a white dress shirt, and a navy blazer?

Doesn't sound bad, but I think you should have something else that's a little darker to go with your jacket. Could be a tie. If you're just wearing light or white things and a navy blazer, then go with some darker shoes.

4. GiltEdge

GiltEdge Senior member

Noticed on here from photos that people that have bought very high end shows final sale, that have holes drilled into the button to prevent returns. While I have the advantage of just buying Grensons at cost at work, I am looking at a great loafer on eBay that has to holes drilled into the bottom. They are near the heel and wouldn't touch the ground, but does this effect the shoe's wear and performance?

5. SartorialConductor

SartorialConductor Well-Known Member

Found these today AE shoes today. I know nothing about shoes but I'm curious to learn. What are your thoughts?
    [​IMG]

6. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

It all sounds great, except for the titanic cliche that is the navy blazer and the solid-solid-solid composition. You sound like a progressive guy; you should try something a little more original. How about a navy cardigan instead? Or a brown blazer? Something with some texture or pattern?

7. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

Found these today AE shoes today. I know nothing about shoes but I'm curious to learn. What are your thoughts?

Tassel loafers are considered 'old guy wear' They are also not great for flipping.

8. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Where can I get suede elbow patches to put on a SC? Online vendors preferred

Thanks for your help

Posted via Tapatalk

9. Lyon_BC

Lyon_BC Member

I'm going to be in an internship at a business casual office this summer, and I just bought a pair of off hwite BB advantage chinos, would these be appropriate to wear with a dress shirt/OCBD and some black or brown oxfords? Also I'm kind of at a dilema whether to iron a crease in them or not...I'm 20 and didn't know if this would look a little too formal/ old man like for the pants. So to crease or not to crease??

10. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Cashmere sweaters, hang or fold?

I've been folding them but I need the space for other stuff. I'm concerned the necks will stretch out if hung, should I be?

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I've been folding them but I need the space for other stuff. I'm concerned the necks will stretch out if hung, should I be?

I fold all my sweaters to keep their shape.

12. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I just got some new buttons for a blazer. Can I take this to any ol' alterations shop? Or do I need to go to a (more advanced level) "tailor?"

[​IMG]

(got em from someone here on StyleForum

Any tailor can do it. Its a pretty simple job. What color is your blazer to go with those buttons?

13. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Does anyone know how easy it is to raise the armholes of a rugby shirt yourself? Thanks

Unless you know what you're doing it sounds like a recipe for disaster.

14. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Your concern is warranted. Don't even THINK about hanging them.

What's the other stuff you need space for? Maybe you can hang some of those things instead?

15. intfxdx

intfxdx Senior member

i am 177 cm, 5.8 feet (without shoes), should i go for a regular suit or a short ?

16. Makoto Chan

Any tailor can do it. Its a pretty simple job. What color is your blazer to go with those buttons?

Thanks for the reply. The jacket's navy. It came with white plastic buttons.

17. enigma7

enigma7 Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm need to a blazer/sportcoat. I've found a jcrew blazer that's caught my eye.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...2324/42324.jsp

I am not adverse to alternatives, but I am having a hard time finding ones with similar fit.

What do you guys think? alternatives?

Thanks!

18. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

How long does everybody get out of a pair of dress socks? I find with usual rotation I can get about a year out of them.

I wash the socks myself at home.

19. Lyon_BC

Lyon_BC Member

Is it standard to crease chinos or khaki pants for a business casual setting, or for a younger man would it be acceptable to wear flat front chinos without the crease on them ?

20. onix

onix Senior member

How long does everybody get out of a pair of dress socks? I find with usual rotation I can get about a year out of them.

I wash the socks myself at home.

Interestingly, I found my dress socks last... forever. I rotate among about a dozen pairs. It has been 2.5 years for this batch, and I can see them going strong for another several years. FWIW, All of mines are robert talbott wool OTC, and I machine wash them using the gentle cycle.