• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullrams
Can anyone recommend a tailor in downtown / FiDi San Francisco for suit alteration? If one is familiar with Style Forum, all the better!
Oxford Tailors. Be warned, however, that they're expensive. I also use Advanced European Tailors in Berkeley and have found them to be excellent. They're much cheaper than Oxford, though maybe not as experienced as OT. Still, I've had them do serious surgery on sportcoats (such as narrowing the shoulders) and they've turned out very well.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who is the person at the shirt factory that's in charge of folding up shirts for packaging and is all like, "Press those barrel cuffs FLAT. Put some weight into it! Really crease that ****!"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Who is the person at the shirt factory that's in charge of folding up shirts for packaging and is all like, "Press those barrel cuffs FLAT. Put some weight into it! Really crease that ****!"

This guy:
pesci.jpg

bullrams

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Oxford Tailors. Be warned, however, that they're expensive. I also use Advanced European Tailors in Berkeley and have found them to be excellent. They're much cheaper than Oxford, though maybe not as experienced as OT. Still, I've had them do serious surgery on sportcoats (such as narrowing the shoulders) and they've turned out very well.

Thanks much!! I will check them both!

Erlendsen

Reaction score
This is my first post in this forum. Let`s not kill this chicken, boys.

I am wondering what this kind of shirt is known as:
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1267786037

I would like to use it along a dress and a bow tie, and therefore, I want a different collar than the one in the picture. However, that`s the only shirt I`ve found in a shop, so I am clueless here.

Thanks for any help,
Erlend

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Erlendsen
This is my first post in this forum. Let`s not kill this chicken, boys. I am wondering what this kind of shirt is known as: http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1267786037 I would like to use it along a dress and a bow tie, and therefore, I want a different collar than the one in the picture. However, that`s the only shirt I`ve found in a shop, so I am clueless here. Thanks for any help, Erlend
That's a wing-collar tuxedo shirt that is technically proper for white-tie formal affairs. For black-tie events, the turn-down collar tuxedo shirt (see http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3063050) is appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by using it "along a dress and a bow tie," but neither shirt is appropriate for anything other than white or black tie wear.

Erlendsen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That's a wing-collar tuxedo shirt that is technically proper for white-tie formal affairs. For black-tie events, the turn-down collar tuxedo shirt (see http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3063050) is appropriate. I'm not sure what you mean by using it "along a dress and a bow tie," but neither shirt is appropriate for anything other than white or black tie wear.

Okay, thanks for the help!

I got inspired by the movie American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman wears a black tuxedo, that kind of shirt, and a bow tie. Is that a fashion faux pas?

SnarlPatrick

Reaction score
What brand is the tie on the left? It only has that symbol and no name. (pictured next to the Versace tie I got today for 50 cents)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Erlendsen
Okay, thanks for the help!

I got inspired by the movie American Psycho, where Patrick Bateman wears a black tuxedo, that kind of shirt, and a bow tie. Is that a fashion faux pas?

Yes, but a relatively common one since many people wear wing collars with black tie attire. Perhaps its frequency makes it less egregious? I don't know. I just wear a turn-down collar with black tie.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people do with hats/gloves in overcoats? They aren't something I can't afford to have with me currently, but putting them in my coat's pockets make me look pregnant.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
What do people do with hats/gloves in overcoats? They aren't something I can't afford to have with me currently, but putting them in my coat's pockets make me look pregnant.

I put my gloves in the the breast pocket, but I have a waxed cotton driving jacket, so the pocket's size makes that a bit easier. No idea what you mean by a hat, as you can't put hats in overcoats?

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
I put my gloves in the the breast pocket, but I have a waxed cotton driving jacket, so the pocket's size makes that a bit easier. No idea what you mean by a hat, as you can't put hats in overcoats?

I guess instead of "hat" I meant more "beanie". I have a couple pairs of gloves: one slim and one thick and warm. The thick ones create a large bulge.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what happened to manton

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Is a pair of resoled vintage FLORSHEIM inferior to the one with orginal soles? I have an eye on a pair of wingtips on ebay.

whizod

Reaction score
http://men.brownsshoes.com/eng_ca/pr...llSeason/21376

I recently bought these because I loved the way they look and were the last pair in my size, on sale.

As much as I love these boots I have two issues with them.
1) The soles of these boots have absolutely no grip on them, what can you guys suggest to add grip to these shoes?

2) The left boot feels tight where the laces begin at the bottom, and so when the boot flexes the crease formed pinches down against my foot. Is there something I can do about this?

Thanks again!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads