Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. thewho13

thewho13 Senior member

2. Hannes

Hannes Senior member

What do you think of pairing an odd jacket with a double/french cuff shirt? Is it doable?

3. yamete

yamete Senior member

I tried on the http://store.jilsander.com/navigatio.../U/season/main in the store in sz 8 and they fit fine, but I dont remember if they were US8 or UK8. I'm typically a US9 in sneakers and US8.5 in Alden true balance last. Anyone enlighten me with the sizing with Jil?

4. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

RL shirts comes in three different sizes (classic fit-->custom fit-->slimmest fit). I'm using slim fit shirts, since the other two (classic and custom) is to big. Also using small in Ralph Lauren sweaters.

I don't understand why Ralph Lauren have marked some of their sweaters with "Custom fit". Here is two examples:
    Custom-Fit Long-Sleeved Tee
    Custom-Fit Long-Sleeved Polo
    A Ralph Lauren sweater like this one, in small, fits me perfectly. Would these "custom fit" sweaters fit me? or too big?

Anyone know this? Really need to know before they fit before I buy them. Can't find them in my country, so can't try it. But I know small RL sweaters fits me.

5. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

I'm not living in the US, so I can't try these "custom fit" sweaters and I'm certainly that someone have help me.

6. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Washing BB non-iron dress shirts - want to make sure I'm doing it right. 1) Take out collar stays, unfold collar(unbutton, too?) 2) Cold, delicate, light detergent 3) Tumble dry delicate 5-10 minutes 4) Hang dry(smooth out wrinkles with hand(should I restructure collar here or once dry?) Thanks for any tips
    From my personal experience (almost all my dress shirts are BB non-iron) that will work well. I also tend to turn my shirts inside out and also put some stain remover (e.g. Shout) on the collar to help with "ring around the collar". You can also try skipping step 3.

7. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

C&J Audley or C&J Belgrave? [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Washing BB non-iron dress shirts - want to make sure I'm doing it right.

1) Take out collar stays, unfold collar(unbutton, too?)
    2) Cold, delicate, light detergent
    3) Tumble dry delicate 5-10 minutes
    4) Hang dry(smooth out wrinkles with hand(should I restructure collar here or once dry?)

Thanks for any tips

step 2 depends on color and dirt level. Sometimes I wash medium/perm press. And I skip step 3. And I don't smooth out the wrinkles by hand, either, I just shake and let gravity do its thing. That said, I do press them briefly once damp.

What do you think of pairing an odd jacket with a double/french cuff shirt? Is it doable?

It depends on what you're throwing together. At a casual wedding, I went with a khaki jacket, white FC shirt with bold purple box plaid, sage slacks, and tan shoes - and I felt fine.

That said, you can also go navy jacket, white FC shirt, medium denim, and brown shoes and be in good shape as well.

I only wear silk knots, though: anything else seems too dressy.

9. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

Quick advice: [​IMG] + Navy pocket square, red socks. For a party, not business environment. Any changes? What color shoes?

10. nothclif

nothclif Well-Known Member

Looking to get some more pants for work(IT corp enviroment, business casual/casual). I'm interested in a slimmer fit and was looking at JCrew's slim fit chinos but was wondering if there were any other options?

11. cigarsmoke

cigarsmoke New Member

I would vote for brown shoes. How red are the socks?

12. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

I would vote for brown shoes. How red are the socks?

As red as red can get. Set your computer to 255,0,0 - and that's how red they are.

Pocket square is navy blue with dark green and red pattern on it.

I'm thinking navy belt and black shoes right now.... gotta head out of the house in a few minutes.

13. line_skogans

line_skogans New Member

that outfit is going to be super bold. props for that. more power to you and enjoy the new year.

14. scarn15

scarn15 New Member

Are slim ties considered just as professional as standard width ties?

15. chasingred

chasingred Senior member

I'm interested in getting a tie with a contrasting blade, kind of like this, but in a more handsome pattern

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what words I should search for? Also, can any recommend a maker? The one above is by Pierrepont Hicks, but I'm not terribly crazy about their fabrics or patterns.