• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
laugh.gif

ironically I was wearing G&G today.
there was an impromptu snow blanket and i panicked.

Oops, I didn't see the "over" part and thought you had just asked about a good brand for "shoes." I think one brand has been mentioned several times in this forum, but I don't remember the name since I generally switch to boots in bad weather.

eml4sker

Reaction score
Thoughts on this
coat? How do you think it will function as a goto rain coat? Good value?

Newstyle

Reaction score
I'm looking for a white dress shirt that I can wear in more casual settings such as jeans, sweater, SC and no tie, but would also like to be able to wear it in dressier situations as well. Would a point collar or button down be a better choice? I just bought a J. Crew white dress shirt point collar and I'm not crazy about the collar, it lays kind of weird (flat) when layered with a sweater so I'm thinking of exchanging it. Any thoughts?

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say the Brooks Brothers pinpoint button down shirt (or OCBD) but my European brethren may not agree that button down collars are appropriate for "dressier" situations.

Originally Posted by Newstyle
I'm looking for a white dress shirt that I can wear in more casual settings such as jeans, sweater, SC and no tie, but would also like to be able to wear it in dressier situations as well. Would a point collar or button down be a better choice? I just bought a J. Crew white dress shirt point collar and I'm not crazy about the collar, it lays kind of weird (flat) when layered with a sweater so I'm thinking of exchanging it. Any thoughts?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going a cruise next week. There are a couple "formal" nights. I plan on bringing a pair of sneakers and a pair of dress shoes. Out of these, which would you bring?
C&J Bedford (black calf) AE Park Avenue (brown calf) C&J Boston (black calf) AE Player's Shoe (brown suede)​

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
Need overshoes STAT. any Recommendations for a good brand?

Swims. Pick them up online or at Brooks. There are also Tretorns, but they're less of an overshoe.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsallen10
What denim has a fit similar to the 501 STFs? I can't seem to find anything. Thanks.

501s are a bit dumpy, so I can't think of any quality denims that are going to be cut like that. For slim but non-skinny denims try 3sixteens SL100x. You can also try APC New Standards. Both can be had for about $130 if you search for deals.

There's also a denim thread on the SWD side of the board. You should ask them.

--Jonas--

Reaction score
I asked this before, but noone answered:
I have a shirt that has the front buttons (2nd to 5th from the top) attached to a seperate stip of cloth, i.e. you button the buttons through both sides of the shirt.
What's this for?
thanks

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
asuitfrontopen.jpg
can i mismatch trousers with this jacket? if so, what color? and... could i ever wear this suit jacket with jeans? or is it too "suit" looking to do that?

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
asuitfrontopen.jpg

can i mismatch trousers with this jacket? if so, what color?
and... could i ever wear this suit jacket with jeans? or is it too "suit" looking to do that?

I think worsted wool fabrics look weird with jeans. You have to go with a courser material - cotton, tweed, linen.

Plus, shorter jackets are better with jeans.

bob_loblaw

Reaction score
If a jacket fits well in the shoulders but the chest is 2" too big in circumference, can a tailor fix it?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by --Jonas--
I asked this before, but noone answered:
I have a shirt that has the front buttons (2nd to 5th from the top) attached to a seperate stip of cloth, i.e. you button the buttons through both sides of the shirt.
What's this for?
thanks

It's so you can wear it with studs if you like. For formal wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads