Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

stripe patterned white shirt ... yay or nay?
    [​IMG]

sorry not feeling it with that suit tie combo go with crisp white no pattern imo also dimple in tie needs work

2. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

sorry not feeling it with that suit tie combo go with crisp white no pattern imo also dimple in tie needs work
    Thanks
    I was on my way to the mall to return the shirt anyway
    I had never heard of a tie dimple before browsing the forum starting a week ago so it's going to take me some practice

3. Duckelf

Duckelf Member

Navy Suit
    White Shirt
    Solid Burgundy Tie
    Dark Brown Belt
    Dark Brown Derby Shoes
    White Pocket Square

Do you think this would work well for a university end of semester party? Should I wear I different colour tie? Have a tie with more of a pattern? Should I drop the pocket square?

4. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Navy Suit
    White Shirt
    Solid Burgundy Tie
    Dark Brown Belt
    Dark Brown Derby Shoes
    White Pocket Square

Do you think this would work well for a university end of semester party? Should I wear I different colour tie? Have a tie with more of a pattern? Should I drop the pocket square?

In my university the end of semester party is done casual style. No one wears a suit to those. Might want to mention what style of university you are going to. Navy Suits are very conservative, suitable for interviews, very odd for parties.

5. Vecna

Vecna Senior member

I'm interested in buying some OK leather gloves for 50-60 USD. I would be using them for driving and general gallivanting. They would be used for NY's winter in the 20s F. They don't have to be really thin, but I'd prefer if they were thin enough for fiddling around in pockets or handling a cigarette. I'm 6'3" so my hands are rather big, and fit is important to me. What do you advise?

Thanks.

6. Duckelf

Duckelf Member

In my university the end of semester party is done casual style. No one wears a suit to those. Might want to mention what style of university you are going to. Navy Suits are very conservative, suitable for interviews, very odd for parties.
    A suit would be suitable for this party, in fact a fair few people wear black tie/highland dress to this event. That is what I would have done but I could not find a decent dinner jacket in my price range, so I am going for the navy suit which will also be used for interviews later on. My flatmates are wearing black lounge suits to this event, although I am going with navy as I think that it is more versatile and classic. Do you think that a solid burgundy would work for such an event? What about a pocket square? Should I wear one? EDIT: There is a mention of the event on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow...on#Daft_Friday Although it is no longer much of a black tie event.

7. onix

onix Senior member

Depends on the school. When I was back in school, the holiday party was a (semi-)formal party. I got an invitation to come back as an alumni this year, and they explicitly state that no jeans, jacket required, formal wear encouraged.

8. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Anyone know the 40% J Press promo code they are listing on their site right now?

9. BBC

BBC Senior member

Anyone know the 40% J Press promo code they are listing on their site right now?

PSDEC10 but it only applies to a very limited number of items.

10. BBC

BBC Senior member

Why don't I see black suede wingtips anywhere? I see brown, tan, dark brown, coffee, mink, otter, grey, blue, and everything except black! I even see black suede loafers, but no wingtips.

Is there something wrong or unfashionable about black suede wingtips?

I'm seriously considering buying these - I love the idea of black suede wingtips
    [​IMG]

11. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm interested in buying some OK leather gloves for 50-60 USD. I would be using them for driving and general gallivanting. They would be used for NY's winter in the 20s F. They don't have to be really thin, but I'd prefer if they were thin enough for fiddling around in pockets or handling a cigarette. I'm 6'3" so my hands are rather big, and fit is important to me. What do you advise?

Thanks.

I advise that you do anything and everything you possibly can to stop smoking. It's not big or clever. I once had a Mam and a Dad but they were both smokers and both died of lung cancer. Just say no.

12. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I advise that you do anything and everything you possibly can to stop smoking. It's not big or clever. I once had a Mam and a Dad but they were both smokers and both died of lung cancer. Just say no.

Not to gang up, but when I quit I read Allen Carr's "Easy Way to Stop Smoking." Worked for me.

13. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

what is the general opinion of SF on THEORY brand clothing?
    is it just like hugo boss? same quality, same price?
    or better?

14. ohmy

ohmy New Member

Can this tweed jacket be worn casually during winter/spring? Or is this an autumn exclusive?

[​IMG]

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

^
    I would definitely wear it in winter. And maybe in early spring as well.