1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Im looking for a solid 2-button charcoal suit in 38R with a trouser waist that can be let out to 35". My price range is <$750. Any idea what labels I should be looking at? It sounds like I need to go MTM...

2. sweatlodge

sweatlodge Member

Slim fitting chinos with a high-rise...is there such a thing? if so, where can I buy?

3. Se7en

Se7en New Member

1.How much approximately Roy Robson classic tuxedo is worth ? In dollars
    2. On the Hugo Boss jacket are written "Super 100" and on the pants label are written "Hugo Boss Angelico/Parma", What "Super 100" and "Hugo Boss Angelico/Parma" means ? and how much the suit is worth?

4. Torrente

Torrente Well-Known Member

Would appreciate if anyone knows what is, if any, the difference, fit-wise, between black label and white label Barba shirts (black base/white lettering and vice versa)? If there is any difference is it manageable to size up or down to compensate?

Thanks in advance.

5. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm going mad over the back fits of my some of my jackets. I need to start buying bespoke! If only I could afford Kilgour or Steed. That or fill out more. Thoughts? I just realized that the back vent doesn't close on the navy jacket when buttoned. [​IMG] I can also see an obvious collar gap and roll on the back. (Doesn't lay flat) On both jackets, I see excess fabric under the arms. An average person wouldn't bat an eye (well, maybe with the weird single vent closing problem), but I've succumbed to iGent obsessive compulsive disorder. [​IMG]
    The jacket on the left may have been taken in too much on the hip and could be let out but another cause on this jacket is a long back. you can see the horizontal wrinkles under the collar. You probably have shoulders that are high/square compared to the cut of the jacket. if you pull up on the center back seam at the collar you will see the center vent straighten out. This problem is also common on anyone with an erect posture. center vented jackets need correct front/back balance to hang properly.

6. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Tcenter vented jackets need correct front/back balance to hang properly.

Chris - I'd say this applies just as much to double-vented jackets as well, non?

I assume it's just that much more noticeable on single vents.

7. Despos

It is most obvious with center vents. It effects side vents, especially when there is insufficient cloth on the side body to extend under the back panels.

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

It is most obvious with center vents. It effects side vents, especially when there is insufficient cloth on the side body to extend under the back panels.

This is exactly the problem I used to run into.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is exactly the problem I used to run into.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to altering a jacket's center seam?

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I'm looking to start up a decent wardrobe for a college student for when I need to dress up for occasions..

Currently I have...
    A black TaT suit
    anddddd thats it.

I'm looking to add another suit to the collection.. what color would benefit me most?
    Khaki/Charcoal/Grey?

As for dress shirts.. I currently only have one white shirt.. what other variations do you guys suggest?

I have no dress shoes at all.. looking to get a black and brown pair.. do you guys have any suggestions for brand and models?

I would love to also grow my sock + tie collection.. and certain brands and colorways/designs you guys think are essential?

Thanks so much

A navy suit would be best, if you're ever planning to use the brown shoes you want to buy. As for shirts, white is good. Works for anything. I would also add a blue, and those two colors will certainly work for anything. There are lots of fun shirtings, but if you're sticking to the basics, white and blue.

Socks and ties are your call. I like more fun socks- Gap often has a good selection of classic patterned socks in interesting (and more basic) colors, and believe it or not, Target has a pretty good selection under their house line, Merona. Ties, you'll need conservative for interviews, a skinny black (or predominantly black) one for wearing to parties with that black suit, and whatever catches your eye otherwise. Stick to darker ties, light ones often look simply bad. In terms of essentials, one of my personal favorites is a burgundy tie with a pattern of small gold diamonds. Nice 3" width too. Another favorite is a predominantly navy regimental. But, there are lots of good looking ties out there.

11. Despos

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to altering a jacket's center seam?
    Center back seam is more or less a fixed line. Adjustments should be made on the side seams of the back and side body first. Adjust the center back seam to make changes for the curvature of the back or a very straight back or if you need more room than just the side outlets have to let out.

12. Surreal

Surreal Senior member

[​IMG]
    How is the fit of this shirt?

13. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

I've recently had to throw out nearly my whole brown shoe collection due to neglect and wear. This has left me in a tough spot, especially in the rainy winter. I have a pair of leather bottomed dbl monks, and a pair of beeswax Clarks DB's. What I need are something dressier then the Clarks that I can wear with slacks and a sports coat, I'll wear them 1-2 times a week, outside a fair amount, but only for 4-5 hours at a time. Hopefully around or under $100. I have been wearing the Clarks, but it just looks much to casual to me. I have found these.. Any thoughts?

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html
    http://www.bluefly.com/Original-Peng...601/detail.fly
    http://www.landsend.com/pp/ChukkaBoo...8&origin=index

My wife thinks another pair of chukka's will be to similar and that I'm better off with chelsea boots. Also budget is important, i'm a recent member and my bank account has already taken a pretty good beating.
    Your suggestions?

14. officeboy

officeboy Senior member

Slim fitting chinos with a high-rise...is there such a thing? if so, where can I buy?
    See this blog post for some good rise and leg measurments of chino's http://thisfits.me/post/872111848/la...o-measurements You could also try Lands end tailored fit, but probably you would be better off getting regular chino's and getting them altered to be slimmer fitting, Especially if you are trying to do this to match up with some unusual body proportions.
    Im looking for a solid 2-button charcoal suit in 38R with a trouser waist that can be let out to 35". My price range is <$750. Any idea what labels I should be looking at? It sounds like I need to go MTM...
    Or find somewhere selling separates and swap them around. Might be hard to find anything priced as highly as your budget though.

15. AE7

AE7 Senior member

16. Acer

Acer Well-Known Member

17. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

question: authentic or not?
    follow-up: buy it or not?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brooks-Brothers-...#ht_3745wt_906

any of you bastages swipe this from me and.. well, i'll probably just cry [​IMG]

BB isn't faked, especially not something like that. Buy it if you like it.

18. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

19. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
  20. rfpgh

rfpgh Active Member