• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyanAnderson
I tried asking this before and got no feedback. How does the fit of this shirt look? I am a little concerned that it's too tight in the chest:

Regarding the fit in the chest, I think it does look a bit too tight. I base that on what appears to be fabric pulling from the sides on the second button from the top. I think a slight increase in chest measurement is all that's needed though.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Looking to take my first dive into the world of blazers. Was looking at the mens wearhouse 2 for 1 special they have going. It's a look I haven't done before so the idea is to go for the affordable experimentation route since most "normal people" won't have a keen eye like all of the experts here. If I feel the blazer look works for me then later down the line I could go for a fancier make.

This is what I was looking at: http://www.menswearhouse.com/webapp/...1_?cm_vc=40160

Thinking one in each color. I think the blue one looks fine, but the tan one makes me slightly hesitant. Would that tan work with say navy pants? The plaid looks more subtle and easier to pull off on the navy blazer than it does on the tan one, but that just might be the lighting of the photos.

will mostly wear these with slacks/dress shirt but perhaps sometimes with some nice jeans for a night out if I can pull it off.

Ugh, MW can't get even the description correct. Those are windowpane patterns, not plaid. A blazer is a solid color so that navy windowpane jacket will look like an orphaned suit coat. The tan one might pass for an odd jacket but if you want a navy blazer, you should definitely hold out for a solid fabric.

Smudge

Reaction score
RyanAnderson, shirt certainly looks wearable as is. I wouldn't pay too much money to get it altered until its been washed a couple of times. If this is a MTM shirt then I think the comments about (everso slight) pulling near top of chest might be worth taking on board.

Thanks for clearing up my "blobby shoes" question, dah328 I just wasn't sure if there was a specific trait that made a shoe "blobby". Shapeless it is.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would a size 42/52 suit jacket with a BoC measurement of 30" be a regular or a short

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

Vecna

Reaction score
Sorry, let me rephrase. What are good dancing shoes for a club setting? And also because I'm new to this - what's wrong with black chinos?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
When shoes are described as "blobby" what does that mean?

i261421021_68525_5.jpg

meok

Reaction score
How easy would it be for a tailor/alterationist to create and attach a belt loop from left over fabric?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Would a size 42/52 suit jacket with a BoC measurement of 30" be a regular or a short

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

Short. I am wearing US 36 and the rule of thumb is that anything below 30 for BoC is short. So for your case, 30 BoC is definitely short for US 42.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecna
Sorry, let me rephrase. What are good dancing shoes for a club setting? And also because I'm new to this - what's wrong with black chinos?

I think you get a lot more accurate help in the "Streetware and Denim" forum instead of the "Men's Clothing" forum. The kinds of Club people in MC goto is not the type of dancing club you are referring to. Here will recommend you some Leather Soled dress shoes with English/Italian names you never heard off. SW&D will probably recommend you some LV/Gucci/Prada/Kenneth Cole slip-on loafer.

As for Black Chinos, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I own 2.

Vecna

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
I think you get a lot more accurate help in the "Streetware and Denim" forum instead of the "Men's Clothing" forum. The kinds of Club people in MC goto is not the type of dancing club you are referring to. Here will recommend you some Leather Soled dress shoes with English/Italian names you never heard off. SW&D will probably recommend you some LV/Gucci/Prada/Kenneth Cole slip-on loafer.
As for Black Chinos, I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I own 2.

Thank you very much, I'll head over there

jef

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know what do you think about black and brown?

Do you think that putting brown pants and a black shoes (or the black pants and brown shoes) is a bad idea ?

Thank you for your asnwears

globe1969

Reaction score
I looked at a sport coat I am interested in. It has no lining at all. Is this normal? It is a well known italian brand. Thanks for any help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads