1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. sqweegle

sqweegle Well-Known Member

I recently bought a pair of rubber soled shoes from Bexley. Now I've noticed that the stitches under the front part of the soles (the ones that attach the sole to the welt) are getting worn through, with a few already missing under the toes. Is there something I can do to prevent the soles coming off?

So, has anyone else experienced this? Need advice.

2. svd

svd Well-Known Member

I think it might be right. I have never own one of my own before but knows a friend that did and he confirm that moisture is not a friend of suede anything. Be it suede shoe or suede whatever.

I've been wearing Clark's desert boots in khaki on every bad weather day this winter in NY - and there's been a lot. I've sprayed them with a suede waterproofer a few times, but not many. Misjudged a dirty puddle on a corner one time and got 2 inches of my sock wet. No discoloration so far.

There are more precious types of suede, and I wouldn't do this with an expensive suede jacket or nice pair of shoes, but these have held up well.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

First post here, too. Seems like a cosy place.

So my question is, I have a tie which got twisted after a wearing it a while. Is there any way to straighten it again? I realize that this is probalby just a quality issue, but I really like the look of that tie.

Thanks guys!

I would take it to a tailor. the best place for ties would be to send it to tiecrafters in NYC, but it is a four tie minimum and the bill is most likely more money than your tie. I am sure any dry cleaner seamstress could figure it out.

4. patrickBOOTH

So, has anyone else experienced this? Need advice.

Although you see the stitches coming out the sole is glued as well. The sole will not come off. However, it is usually a good idea to get toe taps put on your leather soled shoes. It stops this from happening at the toe. When the toe wears down like this it can also wear down to the welt, which could make it a much more expensive repair if that happens down the road.

5. gort

gort Well-Known Member

Not sure this is a "quick question" or if it would be better in SW&D, but with warm temperatures approaching, what sort of men's summerwear is SF approved and not hot as hell? I sweat, usually A LOT, and I'm not some big fatty, I'm 6'1", 185lbs and have pretty decent ab definition! I just sweat a lot during the humid DC summers.

Typically I dress down as much as I can (shorts and a polo), but am looking to step up the summerwear a bit while not feeling like I'm roasting. TIA.

6. NOBD

NOBD Well-Known Member

^
    Think linen.

7. Scotty

Scotty Well-Known Member

I need a pair of oxfords just for "the ocassions" as my corrected leather shiny black shoes get nasty after 6 wears in about 6 years (just weddings).
    So I'd like a pair of goodyear welted, leather sole, calf leather not so expensive, new black oxfords.
    Can I find a better deal than this on the web: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...ID=2&seconds=2?
    What do you think?
    Thanks.

8. patrickBOOTH

Not sure this is a "quick question" or if it would be better in SW&D, but with warm temperatures approaching, what sort of men's summerwear is SF approved and not hot as hell? I sweat, usually A LOT, and I'm not some big fatty, I'm 6'1", 185lbs and have pretty decent ab definition! I just sweat a lot during the humid DC summers.

Typically I dress down as much as I can (shorts and a polo), but am looking to step up the summerwear a bit while not feeling like I'm roasting. TIA.

Linen trousers and a buttonup with the sleeves rolled up. It is a notch dressier than your typical summer wear and probably just as cool.

9. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

I just got a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil in bugundy cordovan. They are slightly used so I want to give them a fresh polish. I have some neutral shoe cream from brooks brothers. Is this okay to use on the cordovan, or should I get something else?

10. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

I just got a pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil in bugundy cordovan. They are slightly used so I want to give them a fresh polish. I have some neutral shoe cream from brooks brothers. Is this okay to use on the cordovan, or should I get something else?

From your description, those are shell cordovan, not calf skin so you need #8 cordovan cream or wax. Alden, Saphir, and AE all have their own product.
    Shell does not need to be polished very often and takes very little polish. You may want to try brushing them and buffing them with a soft cloth and decide if they really need to be polished. If you apply a little water and a lot of elbow grease when you buff them, you can get quite a shine.
    Here are Alden's care suggestions:
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

11. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

From your description, those are shell cordovan, not calf skin so you need #8 cordovan cream or wax. Alden, Saphir, and AE all have their own product.
    Shell does not need to be polished very often and takes very little polish. You may want to try brushing them and buffing them with a soft cloth and decide if they really need to be polished. If you apply a little water and a lot of elbow grease when you buff them, you can get quite a shine.
    Here are Alden's care suggestions:
    http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...l_cordovan.htm

Yeah, they are shell cordovan. This is my first pair so i'm unfamiliar with caring for them. Thanks for the help.

12. juliank

juliank Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am in the market for some sleeker chelsea boots similar to a Ferragamo style and was wondering if there was any other brands I should be looking at the 500 and under price point. Thanks.

13. Simon Radash

Simon Radash Active Member

Hello to all this is my second post, and I don't have a question. On the contrary I have answers but answers related to Indian clothing and designers. So if anyone have a question in that respect, feel free to ask me.

14. Ag229487

Ag229487 Well-Known Member

^ Welcome to the board-

Question: Does anyone have a pair of Herring Readings, suede captoes?

Size down .5 or 1 full size?

Thanks!

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am in the market for some sleeker chelsea boots similar to a Ferragamo style and was wondering if there was any other brands I should be looking at the 500 and under price point. Thanks.

People say this a lot around here, but I'll say it anyway: Allen Edmonds. Their boots in this style start around $200-$250 less, I believe, and are of great quality -- at least according to a friend's dad, who owned a chain of high-end shoe stores.

Personally, I've had good luck with vintage Florsheim Imperials, though this would only apply if you were looking for a deal on ebay, not new. [​IMG]

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

It definitely looks like somebody used black polish over a burgundy shoe, or even tried dying them black. A lot of people do this in order to get the patina that you are seeing...not inappropriate for casual shoes at all!
    Ha! Thanks so much for this. I'd never have thought someone would do this on purpose, or that they'd still be recommended for wear. But I do love them. And now that I know this, I think I'm going to trick them out with some of those purple dress laces sold in B&S. Thanks! [​IMG]

17. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Opinions on these CJs? Do they look blobby? [​IMG]

18. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

Opinions on these CJs? Do they look blobby? [​IMG]
    Way too blobby. If they are a 39 or a 40, send them to me, and I'll dispose of them properly. \\Not serious BTW, in case you didn't catch on. They look quite nice.

19. PipersSon

PipersSon Well-Known Member

Question on Lobb shoes. There are apparently two Lobb s out there, quoting from link at bottom of this post:

So which Lobb shoes are regarded as teh shit on this forum? The Hermes version or the ones made by the family-owned shoes shop?

Or both?

Linky

20. bleachboy

bleachboy Well-Known Member

Is there a reason why you don't just buy Ferragamo? Their shoes are excellent.