Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Apologies for asking this twice, but I hope someone who knows sees this and can help me out.

I've got a pair of suit pants that are almost destroyed at the bottoms. Unfortunately, they're at just the right height for me, so I can't just hem it. There is plenty of material inside. Can I just have someone cut out the bad section, sew the material back together and then wear the pants cuffed to hide the seam?

Is it a stupid idea?

Post a picture of this damage and I think you will have a better chance of getting an accurate response. I suspect what you are describing can be done if there is enough fabric, but it might look funny if someone took a close look at it.

2. odiv

odiv Well-Known Member

Okay thanks. Will post a pic when I take one. Here's another quick one. Is this tie too light/bright? I'm trying to figure out what tie to wear with this shirt and 3-piece and I have a limited selection. Are the shirt and suit just too dark to wear together in the first place? Colours are accurate. [​IMG] Thanks.

3. Baverso

Baverso Well-Known Member

It could be your camera, but I think the tie needs to have a richer color. The bigger problem with that picture is the shirt/suit choice. They're the same colors and as you mentioned yes, that kind of combination is too dark to wear in the first place. You should try to break the suit up with a different color or tone of shirt. It's possible that with the right color shirt that the tie could be acceptable.

My question: Is there a proper length for the back blade of a tie? When I wear a windsor the back blade is 2'' short of my naval.

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

^ The back blade will vary depending on the knot you use (as you've noticed) the total length of the tie and your height. The main thing is tie the tie so that the tip of the front blade is basically centered on your belt buckle. Wherever the back blade ends up doesn't matter.

EZ

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Is it absolutely necessary to roll knit and woven ties? Will they become stretched permanently if you hang them?

6. gort

gort Senior member

7. zbelden00

zbelden00 Member

Best place to buy basic work pants to be used everyday, no pleats, unhemmed? Should I just go to Kohl's? Looking for best bang for your buck here.. ~50$ per pair

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    When does Brooks Brothers usually start their Christmas sale? Also, do they ever give you additional off coupon codes that can be staked with other sales/clearance or is it just mark downs?

9. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Is it absolutely necessary to roll knit and woven ties? Will they become stretched permanently if you hang them?

Yes they will stretch, but not to any real noticeable degree. (Assuming we are not talking about centuries of hanging). Best to roll them though.

10. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Okay I'm a beginner but I think I know the answer to this. Just need to check. A friend of mine is wearing a black suit with red threads on the shoulder line and along the cuffs. I think this looks like the jacket is unfinished and/or those threads need to be cut. He says it's intentional and part of the jacket.

Who's right? Is this egregiously foolish?

Thanks

11. porcelain monkey

Okay thanks. Will post a pic when I take one.

Here's another quick one. Is this tie too light/bright? I'm trying to figure out what tie to wear with this shirt and 3-piece and I have a limited selection. Are the shirt and suit just too dark to wear together in the first place? Colours are accurate.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

I would not wear that shirt with a suit of any kind. The problems with the suit you have are that the colors and pattens are too similar. With that tie, switch to a light blue shirt.

12. porcelain monkey

Best place to buy basic work pants to be used everyday, no pleats, unhemmed? Should I just go to Kohl's? Looking for best bang for your buck here.. ~50$ per pair

J. Crew? Gap? LL Bean has some wool pants called Town and Field (or something like that) that are pretty nice for the money.

13. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

The Milano Chino from BB is about 65-ish if you buy 2.

14. dah328

dah328 Senior member

15. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

So I just received a pair of shoes in the mail and I am having a hard time telling if they are to big or not? If I tie them tight they seem fine. I can't really walk in them because then I can't return them. Any ideas on how to tell? My other dress shoes are 8.5 and these ones supposedly fit true to size. There is a fair amount in the toe box because they are long and come to a point. Something about them doesn't feel right. It might be because I don't own too many dress shoes and I am comparing them to the fit of other non dress shoes I have.