1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Surreal

Surreal Senior member

I need a new, fitting suit. This is the best I have found so far: [​IMG] Should I go for it? Sorry for the bad quality pics, I couldn't make any better ones. It's wool btw.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I need a new, fitting suit. This is the best I have found so far:
    Should I go for it?

Sorry for the bad quality pics, I couldn't make any better ones. It's wool btw.

It looks too big across the shoulders for you. Look how it's standing off the left side of your neck.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

ah, thanks. i mean "hi-shine" as on, say, the barker dermot (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1516.php) vs. the black calf barker flynn (http://www.pediwear.co.uk/barker/products/1520.php)
    Well, the Dermot is definitely not patent leather. I would guess based on price that it's corrected-grain (or lower quality) leather. Corrected grain leather, regardless of its degree of shine, is not nearly as durable as full-grain leather because it's essentially a veneer of surface leather applied over a lower-grade leather. Do a search here for corrected grain leather if you need more info on it. There are several very informative threads on it.

4. cromulated

cromulated Senior member

Well, the Dermot is definitely not patent leather. I would guess based on price that it's corrected-grain (or lower quality) leather. Corrected grain leather, regardless of its degree of shine, is not nearly as durable as full-grain leather because it's essentially a veneer of surface leather applied over a lower-grade leather. Do a search here for corrected grain leather if you need more info on it. There are several very informative threads on it.

will do...thanks again!

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

If it's black, go for it. I have touched up my wife's black purses in this way. I used shoe cream, though, not wax polish.

neither can do harm to a leather briefcase, quasi

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I disagree. It may depend on type of formality. If you're talking festive occasion, then a wholecut beats the cap-toe.

no

7. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

I need a mid-grey 2-button suit in size 40 for athletic build. Budget under $550.

Any ideas? My head is spinning.

8. blazingazn

blazingazn Senior member

my top button popped of my 26oz Naked & Famous Denim Jeans.

how much would it cost to have a new button stamped in (I'll be getting replacements buttons from Naked & Famous).

9. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

why do some people insist on calling monks loafers?

10. onix

onix Senior member

why do some people insist on calling monks loafers?

Several explanations:
    - For many people: no laces + not boots = loafers
    - For some other: they don't unbuckle the shoes, just leave it there, and put their feet in using shoe horn the same way you do with loafers. So for them, the buckle part is just decoration like penny/tassel/horse-bit.

11. jordanservice

jordanservice New Member

So I got a couple of quick questions:

1.)
    Oxford shirts: What would one look for when buying a decent quality shirt? Obviously fit but besides that.

2.) Washing cotton shirts. I seem to get different results depending on the shirt. Some times the cotton will come out super wrinkly and ironing doesn't really fix it. Other shirts come out relatively wrinkle free.

3.) When using the vinegar oxy-clean method for cleaning shirts, You use white vinegar right?

4.) OK, I have a cloth tape, but is there a reference guide on where I measure my measurements?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but was having a hard time finding the answers.

12. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

2.) Washing cotton shirts. I seem to get different results depending on the shirt. Some times the cotton will come out super wrinkly and ironing doesn't really fix it. Other shirts come out relatively wrinkle free.

3.) When using the vinegar oxy-clean method for cleaning shirts, You use white vinegar right?

Iron damp.

What are you doing that your shirts are this dirty?

13. max_r

max_r Senior member

are trousers supposed to be pitched forward if you look at a profile view of yourself in the mirror? (ie. higher in the back, lower in the front).

it seems i'm most comfortable when my trousers sit at the same height all around my hips, but when i wear them like this, i get excess fabric in the back of the legs that billows out and makes the trousers look like crap. if i pull them up high in the back (to near-wedgie territory) they drape well and sit straight, but they wont stay up like that, even if i tighten my belt alot.

are all my trousers cut weird, or am I just funny shaped?

14. jordanservice

jordanservice New Member

I live in south Florida so you get a ring around the collar after one ware. So this method is get the ring out.

15. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

Can someone please point me in the direction of a comprehensive thread regarding traditional black tie affair? Thanks!

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

are trousers supposed to be pitched forward if you look at a profile view of yourself in the mirror? (ie. higher in the back, lower in the front).

it seems i'm most comfortable when my trousers sit at the same height all around my hips, but when i wear them like this, i get excess fabric in the back of the legs that billows out and makes the trousers look like crap. if i pull them up high in the back (to near-wedgie territory) they drape well and sit straight, but they wont stay up like that, even if i tighten my belt alot.

are all my trousers cut weird, or am I just funny shaped?

Welcome to the club, pal. Trousers are supposed to be a bit higher in the back, more so if you are wearing braces. This excess fabric that you are getting that piles up in the back of your legs is because you have more forward positioned hips. Not funny shaped at all. Most ready to wear trousers are pretty much cut straight up and down, so if you aren't, it rumples in the back. This can be fixed by a tailor drawing some of the excess material in the back up into the waistband so that when you are wearing them at a comfortable hight they don't pile up as much. Think of it as "lowering the waistband" in the back. Be thankful you aren't me, who has this problem as well as knocked-knees. Good luck.

17. R. Prikazka

R. Prikazka Member

Groningen city, Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Iron damp.

Or use a thin damp cloth to put between the shirt and the ironing-iron*
    That is also very helpful if you have black shirts, this way you won`t get 'shiny' shirts. I mean shirts that have a gloss over them.
    Dry them on a hanger. A proper wooden or plastic one that is, not the metal-wire-things.

*Ironing-iron, is that even correct? [​IMG]

18. R. Prikazka

R. Prikazka Member

Groningen city, Kingdom of the Netherlands
    I just had a super nice tip from a friend!

In the local 'institution for involuntary commitment', the criminals have a wood workshop. You can deliver any (wood) project there and they`ll make it for you, and you only have to pay the materials used. Anything goes, from a nice little ebony / oak chess-set to complete window profiles.

So I am going to get some nice hangers exactly to my measures so shirts wont wrinkle that much on the shoulders and suits keep in the perfect shape I bought them in.

Maybe there is something like that in your town as well!

Can anyone recommend a certain wood? I was thinking of Ceder...

(For any FS folks in Holland, you can contact 070-3704888 for your local TBS clinic.)

19. The Trendsetter

The Trendsetter Well-Known Member

Apc's or 3sixteens for men with bigger legs and butts? Specifics?

20. Alex C

Alex C Senior member

What's the tie knot where it looks like a four in hand but a bit of the back end of the broad side of the tie is showing above the knot? Is it just a Prince Albert with a stiff enough tie not to buckle upon tightening of the knot?