• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Pull the tag out of the pocket. Under FIT it should say one of

Rom aka ROMA
MIL aka Milano (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's MIL)
TRL something like for traveller.

The label will also list fabric makeup. Drop.

Does it fit you?

Most people here don't like black suits. Not a great choice for your first suit.

fits great not my first suit though i have a blue double breasted pal zileri and a dark blue single breasted canali but people keep telling me you "must" have a solid black suit, why dont people like black suits and what do you mean by "here"?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Pull the tag out of the pocket. Under FIT it should say one of

Rom aka ROMA
MIL aka Milano (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's MIL)
TRL something like for traveller.

The label will also list fabric makeup. Drop.

Does it fit you?

Most people here don't like black suits. Not a great choice for your first suit.

also does the fit you refer to on the tag have anything to do with quality or strictly style of the fit

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
^ "Here" means on this forum. Black is traditionally viewed as mostly worn for funerals and such, and is meant to only be worn at night (the general consensus on this forum.) I agree, it's not very a versatile color, but your dark blue one sounds like it is, and it's nice you have a double breasted suit already.

Depends a bit on what you plan to use it for. You going out at night in it for fancy dinners, etc? Might be nice. Generally not regarded so well for the work place unless you are a funeral director or a minister.

EZ

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoodsuitfan
fits great not my first suit though i have a blue double breasted pal zileri and a dark blue single breasted canali but people keep telling me you "must" have a solid black suit, why dont people like black suits and what do you mean by "here"?

here = styleforum
black suits = wedding (few now) or funeral. I guess the only reason you must have one black suit is that everyone will need to attend some funerals anyway
confused.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by agoodsuitfan
also does the fit you refer to on the tag have anything to do with quality or strictly style of the fit

All three are basically the same quality.

Milano and traveler tend to be cut a little closer to the body. Softer shoulder.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
blechboy nicola ezethatsme and oinx thanks for your help on this one, i think i will pass on the suit it seems i dont "need" a black suit after all (although i would like a zegna, maybe when my coin stack is a little taller ill get a su misura) at present im not funeral director or minister and i dont attend too many formal evening events

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrtef3
J. Peterman, and have them tailored?

Isn't this the company that Elaine worked for in Seinfeld? I didn't know it actually existed.

The Gatsby shirt and the French Farmer's shirt are good options that I'll probably try (and have tailored if I find a fabric that I like).

Any others? I found a few on Yoox, Ebay, and the Opening Ceremony webstore but still not exactly what I'm looking for (and I am open to tailoring as I said so I'm looking for more fabric options). Anyone know of a distinction between chinese/mandarin collar, banded collar, and collarless (and I even found one listed as tab collar but searching that yielded something different for the most part)?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J. Peterman is a real company. Elaine fictitiously worked for it in the same way George fictitiously worked for the Yankees.

http://www.jpeterman.com/

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree with this. I'm 37 and I wear boots much less frequently than wingtips. But as a college student, you should go with the Indys. Much more appropriate with jeans and khakis and all that.

Ok. Right now I have a pair of Stuart McGuire wingtips (they are pretty nice, though I can't find any info on them anwhere) that I purchased off of here, so I think I don't need new ones (although the Alden's are too die for). I found a pair of Indy's slightly used for $300
in an 8D but as per recommendations I think I would need a 7.5D. Should I buy these and save some money or just get new ones? Thinking I could just wear heavier socks with them. This is time sensitive.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newstyle
Ok. Right now I have a pair of Stuart McGuire wingtips (they are pretty nice, though I can't find any info on them anwhere) that I purchased off of here, so I think I don't need new ones (although the Alden's are too die for). I found a pair of Indy's slightly used for $300
in an 8D but as per recommendations I think I would need a 7.5D. Should I buy these and save some money or just get new ones? Thinking I could just wear heavier socks with them. This is time sensitive.

Why would anyone pay $300 for some used shoes that are probably the wrong size?

thrice

Reaction score
Have anyone heard of a brand name Bill Tornade? I got a par of pants, but since they need to altered a bit I wonder if it's worth it.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thrice
Have anyone heard of a brand name Bill Tornade? I got a par of pants, but since they need to altered a bit I wonder if it's worth it.

If they fit nice and you like them it's always worth it.

Newstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Why would anyone pay $300 for some used shoes that are probably the wrong size?

I don't have a job and I have a limited number of funds but have a few pieces I want to get.

DaBatMan

Reaction score
What's the best color shoe polish to use on a shoe that's "Venere Brandy" in color?

Reaction score
Dark gray pants would work with a black slim fit suit jacket?
white button down
slim black tie
black loafers
and white? pocket square?

would that be ok or should I just go get black pants>

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads