Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Pull the tag out of the pocket. Under FIT it should say one of

Rom aka ROMA
    MIL aka Milano (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's MIL)
    TRL something like for traveller.

The label will also list fabric makeup. Drop.

Does it fit you?

Most people here don't like black suits. Not a great choice for your first suit.

fits great not my first suit though i have a blue double breasted pal zileri and a dark blue single breasted canali but people keep telling me you "must" have a solid black suit, why dont people like black suits and what do you mean by "here"?

2. in stitches

Pull the tag out of the pocket. Under FIT it should say one of

Rom aka ROMA
    MIL aka Milano (I'm too lazy to check but I think it's MIL)
    TRL something like for traveller.

The label will also list fabric makeup. Drop.

Does it fit you?

Most people here don't like black suits. Not a great choice for your first suit.

also does the fit you refer to on the tag have anything to do with quality or strictly style of the fit

3. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

^ "Here" means on this forum. Black is traditionally viewed as mostly worn for funerals and such, and is meant to only be worn at night (the general consensus on this forum.) I agree, it's not very a versatile color, but your dark blue one sounds like it is, and it's nice you have a double breasted suit already.

Depends a bit on what you plan to use it for. You going out at night in it for fancy dinners, etc? Might be nice. Generally not regarded so well for the work place unless you are a funeral director or a minister.

EZ

4. onix

onix Senior member

fits great not my first suit though i have a blue double breasted pal zileri and a dark blue single breasted canali but people keep telling me you "must" have a solid black suit, why dont people like black suits and what do you mean by "here"?

here = styleforum
    black suits = wedding (few now) or funeral. I guess the only reason you must have one black suit is that everyone will need to attend some funerals anyway [​IMG]

5. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

also does the fit you refer to on the tag have anything to do with quality or strictly style of the fit

All three are basically the same quality.

Milano and traveler tend to be cut a little closer to the body. Softer shoulder.

6. in stitches

blechboy nicola ezethatsme and oinx thanks for your help on this one, i think i will pass on the suit it seems i dont "need" a black suit after all (although i would like a zegna, maybe when my coin stack is a little taller ill get a su misura) at present im not funeral director or minister and i dont attend too many formal evening events

7. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Senior member

J. Peterman, and have them tailored?

Isn't this the company that Elaine worked for in Seinfeld? I didn't know it actually existed.

The Gatsby shirt and the French Farmer's shirt are good options that I'll probably try (and have tailored if I find a fabric that I like).

Any others? I found a few on Yoox, Ebay, and the Opening Ceremony webstore but still not exactly what I'm looking for (and I am open to tailoring as I said so I'm looking for more fabric options). Anyone know of a distinction between chinese/mandarin collar, banded collar, and collarless (and I even found one listed as tab collar but searching that yielded something different for the most part)?

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

J. Peterman is a real company. Elaine fictitiously worked for it in the same way George fictitiously worked for the Yankees.

http://www.jpeterman.com/

9. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

I agree with this. I'm 37 and I wear boots much less frequently than wingtips. But as a college student, you should go with the Indys. Much more appropriate with jeans and khakis and all that.

Ok. Right now I have a pair of Stuart McGuire wingtips (they are pretty nice, though I can't find any info on them anwhere) that I purchased off of here, so I think I don't need new ones (although the Alden's are too die for). I found a pair of Indy's slightly used for $300
    in an 8D but as per recommendations I think I would need a 7.5D. Should I buy these and save some money or just get new ones? Thinking I could just wear heavier socks with them. This is time sensitive.

10. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

Ok. Right now I have a pair of Stuart McGuire wingtips (they are pretty nice, though I can't find any info on them anwhere) that I purchased off of here, so I think I don't need new ones (although the Alden's are too die for). I found a pair of Indy's slightly used for $300
    in an 8D but as per recommendations I think I would need a 7.5D. Should I buy these and save some money or just get new ones? Thinking I could just wear heavier socks with them. This is time sensitive.

Why would anyone pay $300 for some used shoes that are probably the wrong size?

11. thrice

thrice Well-Known Member

Have anyone heard of a brand name Bill Tornade? I got a par of pants, but since they need to altered a bit I wonder if it's worth it.

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

Have anyone heard of a brand name Bill Tornade? I got a par of pants, but since they need to altered a bit I wonder if it's worth it.

If they fit nice and you like them it's always worth it.

13. Newstyle

Newstyle Senior member

Why would anyone pay $300 for some used shoes that are probably the wrong size?

I don't have a job and I have a limited number of funds but have a few pieces I want to get.

14. DaBatMan

DaBatMan Senior member

What's the best color shoe polish to use on a shoe that's "Venere Brandy" in color?

15. unknowinglyforgotten

unknowinglyforgotten Member

Dark gray pants would work with a black slim fit suit jacket?
    white button down
    slim black tie
    black loafers
    and white? pocket square?

would that be ok or should I just go get black pants>