1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. blzer76

blzer76 Member

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

so I have a 2 Button Single Breasted Double Vent slim fit suit that's got quite a bit of waist suppression. The problem I see is taht the back vents sort of "kick" out, ie the back flap doesn't lie flat. I feel like it emphasizes the backside...

any ideas what might be causing this?
    (I'm not sure if there might be too much waist suppression? maybe the jacket length is too short?)

Thanks!

3. Sander

Sander Senior member

so I have a 2 Button Single Breasted Double Vent slim fit suit that's got quite a bit of waist suppression. The problem I see is taht the back vents sort of "kick" out, ie the back flap doesn't lie flat. I feel like it emphasizes the backside...

any ideas what might be causing this?
    (I'm not sure if there might be too much waist suppression? maybe the jacket length is too short?)

Thanks!

I once read about adding little weights to the corners of the vents, so that the cloth hangs straight. I've never seen this in person though, just ask your tailor?

4. Master-Classter

I once read about adding little weights to the corners of the vents, so that the cloth hangs straight. I've never seen this in person though, just ask your tailor?

Thanks for the idea, in the end I just ended up actually sewing the vents down, sort of solved the problem.

subtle bump on what should have been a more useful thread...[​IMG]

5. Master-Classter

a question about something not discussed much here... can someone please explain to me a bit about "Quarters" of a suit? I just purchased a suit where it seems a bit off. It's single breasted, rounded bottoms, but when buttoned the two sides completely overlap. It's slim fit through the waist area and the button+hole are correctly places, it just seems odd. Thoughts? Thanks

6. Sator

Sator Senior member

Quarters = internet fora-speak. I wish people would stop using this made up term as no such a part of a coat exists. Generally what people mean is the degree of cut away of the front of the skirt.

If the whole of the front of the coat overlaps that can mean it is too long in the front balance. The overlap will be apparent when the coat is unbuttoned. It may be incorrectly cut or else you may have an erect stance. If the latter, then - congratulations - your solution is to go bespoke.

7. Master-Classter

8. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

I have a 3 piece suit with a pair of pants that are unrepairable. It is black with very fine gray dots(invisible at 10 feet). Would it be acceptable to wear the vest, or jacket, or both with plain black trousers of similar looking material? Would that make me look like a tool? I've seen guys wear just a suit vest before as well. Opinions on that?

9. Crosstalker

Crosstalker Senior member

Is it conceivable that a good tailor could bring down a 38R to a size somewhere in the neighborhood of 36S (or maybe 36 semi-short)?

10. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

11. ijung

ijung Active Member

Hi, I am on a very low budget for a sport coat. I bought a lauren ralph lauren but I had to flip it because it was way too wide, and the arm holes were very low. Does anyone know where I can get a slim fit, higher armhole sport coat for around $100ish? Thanks.

12. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

13. ijung

ijung Active Member

Would you know any brands that are slim fit? Thanks.

14. Crosstalker

Crosstalker Senior member

No.

What about bringing down a 38R to a 38S? Is that possible?

15. JohnsNotHere

JohnsNotHere Senior member

Saw a really nice sports coat at country road... fabric is sateen. Is that a good or bad thing?

16. agordon

agordon Well-Known Member

What about bringing down a 38R to a 38S? Is that possible?

We can't really say how much a tailor can or can't do to a jacket without knowing a lot about the jacket and the tailor.

Your best bet is to take the jacket along to your tailor, explain the problems you have with the fit and talk to him about what he would be able to do to alter the jacket.

17. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I have a 3 piece suit with a pair of pants that are unrepairable. It is black with very fine gray dots(invisible at 10 feet). Would it be acceptable to wear the vest, or jacket, or both with plain black trousers of similar looking material? Would that make me look like a tool? I've seen guys wear just a suit vest before as well. Opinions on that?

I think with non matching black pants you would look like a tool, as you put it. The vest alone or jacket alone could work.

18. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

Glen plaid has become a generic term for plaid. The origin of the term from the dictionary says it is short for glenurquhart plaid, from Glen Urquhart, a valley in Inverness-shire, Scotland. Where as a Tartan would represent your family of origin a plaid represents your town or area you are from. Prince of Wales is a specific coloration with in the glen plaid genre. The colors of a Prince of Wales plaid were originally a navy blue with burgundy.

I have no idea of the quality of a Paul Smith suit.

After a navy jacket I would get a lighter colored sport coat. Then you have a dark jacket to wear with lighter trouser and a lighter colored jacket to wear with dark trouser. Could be tan, camel, carmel brown, grey, whatever is a good color for your skin tone and works with your trouser selections.

Well, I bought this silk herringbone as my" light" sport coat.

I know a white/ light blue shirt with either a charcoal or dark-navy trouser is fine, what patterns/colors do I avoid with the tie?

Is the rule to stay with solid ties to match the solid pant?

Any pictures or links to pictures would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. CruzAzul

CruzAzul Senior member

Does anyone know where I can get a slim fit, higher armhole sport coat for around $100ish?

When I think cheap and slim fitting, I think Uniqlo.

20. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Can this be pinned?