• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

poissa

Reaction score
I have a disdain for belts. Is it poor form to have trousers taken in and belt loops removed? I ask this first in regard to trad wear, in the context of business casual and secondly, will anyone give a hoot?

JTK

Reaction score
Where should I a post a fit question re: tweed jacket?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skywalker
I found a hole in one of my loro piana cashmere sweaters. Where should I get it fixed? (should i try contacting loro piana)
You need a reweaver. Do a search in the Men's Clothing forum. There are several discussed there.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
I have a disdain for belts. Is it poor form to have trousers taken in and belt loops removed? I ask this first in regard to trad wear, in the context of business casual and secondly, will anyone give a hoot?

Pretty traditional for suits and trousers, suspenders used to be considered the only appropriate thing to wear with a suit, belts were for casual wear.

In terms of business casual, it would look rather odd with chinos IMO, but not too bad if you took off the belt loops. If you really hate belts that much (and I really have no idea why you would, but that's beside the point) go ahead.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an interview on Monday.

My suits are slim, with tapered legs. (Hickey, RLPL St. Andrews) My interview shoes are C&J black balmorals and I only own white semi-spread collared shirts, I sometimes feel that my interview attire is too rakish for a student looking for an entry level position. Especially in DC.

Would it be inappropriate to wear a roomier (not ill-fitting) odd jacket and trousers to the interview? Both solid navy or gray. Tie included, of course.

I really ought to get a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald or Golden Fleece suit.

StylishSometimes

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a big fan of shoes from Alberto Guardiani. Over the years I have experienced that their shoes are a little bit bigger than the same size from other brands. In my case, I buy European size 43 from AG, when I normally go for 43 1/2 or 44.

So, to my question: I'm getting interested in shoes from Cesare Paciotti, but can't get them where I live and will try to buy them on the web. Do you know if shoes from CS are working the same way as AG, i.e. a little bit bigger than normal?

Thanks

Greenduck

Reaction score
I have a suit where the jacket has two buttons. I was just wondering if the jacket should be closed when walking, standing etc. And only be open when you sit? Are there any "rules" here?

Greenduck

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
Top button closed when walking, standing etc.
Open when sitting down.
Never close the 2nd button

Never closes the second button only the top one... Thanks for the reply.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
No problem, but it's not traditional. Removing the belt and loops creates a cleaner more streamlined line - very inkeeping with todays slim suits, wich are more fashion forward.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I find cheap canvas belts? I'm looking at this cheap Chinese crap on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANVAS-Mens-STRI...item895f098655

Do you think it's worth trying them or is there a certain quality one desires from a canvas belt just like from a leather belt? Thanks!

si_128434.jpg

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Do you think it's worth trying them or is there a certain quality one desires from a canvas belt just like from a leather belt?

I think it's worth trying them. Why not?

dlugent

Reaction score
Hey guys, Need help IDing some shoes.

Anyone know what these are?

28miv78.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads