1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

Does a "split curtain waistband" actually serve a purpose, or is it just one of those sartorial details?
    There's a reason. Think about sitting down... your body is constantly moving and changes shape. As you sit, if the pants were (as they often are) one continuous piece, then they'll gape at the back, which is why you see so many ass-cracks around. Even a belt only does so much to keep the pants pinned to the back. A split waistband solves that problem.

You know how some jackets and zip cardigans bunch up when you sit down? and then some have a second bottom zipper you can pull up? Same idea.

2. bleachboy

bleachboy Distinguished Member

You know how some jackets and zip cardigans bunch up when you sit down? and then some have a second bottom zipper you can pull up? Same idea.

Makes perfect sense -- thanks!

3. bleachboy

If anyone has suggestions for wool pants under $150 I'd love to hear them. Mabitex is too slim and leaves no break. I thought being 153lbs at 6' tall would work ;( Pants that will be appropriate for business casual and have a break substantial enough to cover 3/4 of an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

You can't go wrong with Brooks Brothers. They have different fits and styles in gabardine and flannel at two for $199.

4. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Distinguished Member

I just ordered a pair of AE Bel-airs and they don't seem to have an insole. What's the deal? Am I just retarded?

That's two questions, btw.

5. catside

catside Distinguished Member

Martegani 8.5 wide Lucca, still tight. I loved them. Paid 150, nice deal. Should I send them back or hope they relax by wear, stretch spray etc?
    Help appreciated

6. bleachboy

Martegani 8.5 wide Lucca, still tight. I loved them. Paid 150, nice deal. Should I send them back or hope they relax by wear, stretch spray etc?
    Help appreciated

Return them if you can, or put them up on B&S. You'll likely never be happy with them.

7. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Distinguished Member

Return them if you can, or put them up on B&S. You'll likely never be happy with them.

How do you know when shoes are def. too tight as opposed to when shoes will stretch out? Experience? Feel?

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

I just ordered a pair of AE Bel-airs and they don't seem to have an insole. What's the deal? Am I just retarded?
    That's two questions, btw.

post a pic? or, what do you mean by "insole"? I have a pair, they're the same as all my other AE's. Basically a black somewhat shiny layer (leather?) that's covering a cork base underneath it. It's glued down. do you own other AE's? is this pair different?

9. bleachboy

How do you know when shoes are def. too tight as opposed to when shoes will stretch out? Experience? Feel?

If you COULD wear them all day, but would simply prefer they were not quite so tight, then I'd keep them and try some shoe stretching. Otherwise not.

10. catside

catside Distinguished Member

Many thanks. Got them from Amazon, I will return. I guess this brand is not for me. Any suggestions for a wider cut lace-ups? Should I try AE?

11. skywalker

skywalker Senior Member

I found a hole in one of my loro piana cashmere sweaters. Where should I get it fixed? (should i try contacting loro piana)

12. colins

colins Senior Member

Suggestions on where I could pick up slim-ish wool flannel pants in medium-to-dark gray and 28/29 waist? I really liked the pieces from Epaulet and Howard Yount, but I missed the boat on my sizes. Something of comparable quality and price (<$200) is preferable.

13. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Distinguished Member

If anyone has suggestions for wool pants under $150 I'd love to hear them. Mabitex is too slim and leaves no break. I thought being 153lbs at 6' tall would work ;( Pants that will be appropriate for business casual and have a break substantial enough to cover 3/4 of an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

Maybe more casual than you are looking for but LL Bean Town and Field pants are a bargain at $49 on sale right now. They are medium thick flannel, decently slim (by Bean standards) and dress up well enough to wear with a jacket.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64759?from=SR&feat=sr

14. eternaldrake

eternaldrake Senior Member

I have a small shoe question: I got a job interview for a part time job later this week (World Market, nothing fancy minwage etc), but own nothing but sneakers and dbs at the moment. What would be a fairly cheap pair of shoes appropriate for the situation?

15. BennyAdeline

BennyAdeline New Member

I've got like 3 pairs of pinstriped producer pants. How do I wear them? Solid shirt? Blazer? Help please.