• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do these Alden captoes look like they're worth $230?

capturejj.jpg

capture2vk.jpg

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
That's what the label said.
It's shaven wool, I don't know how you call it in english...
Still doesn't answer my question though

If it's not shaven, it's still on the sheep.
laugh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srendam
Hi guys is taking in the rise of the back of trousers something a tailor would be able to do?
Yes, it can be done. It just messes up a bunch of other areas, so I've had the front and back rise taken up on pants before but maybe about an inch in total at the most.
Originally Posted by pandamonium
Really? How would I apply the hair conditioner?
I would imagine just a few drops in a bucket of water, then soak, then rinse in a clean bucket of water, then lay flat to dry.
Originally Posted by aj_del
With a navy suit, would snuff suede shoes look better or dark brown suede. Please keep in mind that I am a conservative dresser. I am looking for a low key look rather than a flamboyant one
I think the dark brown is the more conservative and would advise that...
Originally Posted by max_r
is 2" of extra space at the end of the toe of a dress shoe too much? I just got some new dress shoes in the mail with kind of a tapered toe, and i'm not sure if they're too long or not. I would take a photograph, but i currently dont have a camera apart from my cellphone, this is the stock image of the shoe. the size is 9UK, and they dont feel tight in the toe area. should I send them back in exchange for an 8.5UK?
thanks for any help

The simplest answer is, are they comfortable? It sound like they're either just too big, or rather they're not the right shape for your foot. Most of my shoes have a little slip, but maybe an inch at the toe at the most, and if I kick my foot forward, I might have enough space to stick in one finger at the back, but that's it. Shoes should be snug, not tight, but not loose either.
Originally Posted by ronnierobjr
Anyone get these annoying rips in the elbows of your dress shirts? I seem to continue to get them in the same spot on each shirt I buy. It takes some time but they eventually get it. Is this repairable/patchable? Thoughts or suggestions on how to avoid this? Thanks RR
Do you lean your elbows on your desk a lot? do you have really narrow sleeves so your elbows take a lot of strain? Do you wash your shirts harshly or send them to a bad cleaners?
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Some of the B&S regulars may have noticed I've been doing a LOT of closet cleaning lately. I ran across a really nice Gloverall toggle/duffle coat that I had special ordered from England -- their very top of the line model! -- and although it's something like a 38 and I wear a 41, the thing is HUGE. I didn't return it because I had to pay like $150 to customs to get it, blah blah. My question is... is such a coat SUPPOSED to be really big? It doesn't look bad, and I've worn it once or twice, but I can't help but feel like I'm swimming in it. Or is that just a reaction to the current trend of slim-fitting stuff? Thanks in advance!
I think they're meant to fit a little big, but that sounds like it's just far too much.
Originally Posted by BlackSheepChef
I just found a Burburry long tan trench coat at a thrift store. I can't find the size but it must be either a 40 or a 38 (I think). At any rate I picked up cause I knew it was a find, but what should I do with it? Sell it? I could keep it but the sleeves are a bit too short.
Some things you just have to figure out on your own. Either keep it and wear it or try to sell it. Just don't assume you'll get that much for it, just saying.
Originally Posted by BYucko
College student, want to get a Bay St. internship, need a new suit. Budget is around 500, but will consider everything sub-800.
Stats: 5"8 135lbs and growing
Thinking 1 or 2 buttons. Navy, black or gray.
Emporio Armani from Yoox?
http://www.yoox.com/item.asp?cod10=49115614
Or should I go to a MTM shop in Toronto? How much will it run me for a basic (but sleek) one? Thanks.

Unless you've tried on that Armani, I wouldn't risk it. There are a number of MTM Toronto options including 5th on King (changed names I believe), GotStyle, even Spiros. Check around since there are some threads on this, plus check the SF google map (check old posts of mine since I've put the link on several responses just in the past few days alone).
Originally Posted by Big Pun
What's the difference between bluchers and derbys? I know nothing about proper shoes. Anyone have a link to a site where I can learn stuff like this?? Besides SF.net please.
smile.gif

If only there were some sort of guide, but I haven't seen anything comprehensive so far. There are a few threads around (search) covering some good books for beginers. Generally there are 2-3 main books that should get you on your way.
Originally Posted by Red Glasses
ok, I bought a great brown/black herringbone sportscoat made of 'new' wool. Yesterday, after a dinner party, it was raining cats & dogs and someone offered me a jacket to 'save' my coat. I accepted, but really: can't a new wool (different than normal wool?) sportcoat handle rain?????
I suspect it's not the wool that's ever the problem. It's all the other stuff that's sewn along with it. If you just had a sheet of cloth and it got wet, naturally it would probably bend, twist, and generally change shape a little. Once it's composed together as a jacket along with a canvass, shoulder pads, etc, I just don't see how it would not change shape after getting wet and then presumably drying in a pile somewhere.
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
Is there a RTW suit hierarchy thread somewhere here? I did a search and couldn't find one. Thanks.
Joking? Not sure if you're serious here. Short answer, YES, there's a rather big one. Do a search (advanced) for keyword "hierarchy" and select search titles only.

xanatos

Reaction score
I'm just getting into buying actual shirt with a sizing than buying small medium whatever.
So i went to BrooksBrothers and the lady sized me at a 16 1/2 by 34 saying the 15 would be too tight around the neck.I normally wear a small or medium depending on brand cause I like my stuff slim .
So alas it fit like I'm wearing daddys shirt.I could still go to a 14 or 15 and be fine with that and not be able to button up the collar?Since I dont wear a tie anyways.
Or would that not fit right.And just need to find another brand?I'm pretty avarage 5'11 160 pounds.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you try a shirt on?

You might want to check the slim shirt thread.

I'd avoid buying a shirt with a too small collar. You end up looking like you've gotten fat and don't care enough to buy bigger shirts.

Abliss

Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning on buying a watch that support nato straps. Right now i am looking at either Seiko 5, Citizen Eco-Driver.. Both fine a bit military inspired watches.

My question is, i have a soft spot for Omega watches, does anyone know ANY (military or not) Omega watches that would look great on multiple nato straps?

And a fellow up, would you recommend black, white or ivory dial color? - in the long run. I plan on wearing the watch as more of a casual every day type.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Do these Alden captoes look like they're worth $230?

capturejj.jpg

capture2vk.jpg

No.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I'm just getting into buying actual shirt with a sizing than buying small medium whatever.
So i went to BrooksBrothers and the lady sized me at a 16 1/2 by 34 saying the 15 would be too tight around the neck.I normally wear a small or medium depending on brand cause I like my stuff slim .
So alas it fit like I'm wearing daddys shirt.I could still go to a 14 or 15 and be fine with that and not be able to button up the collar?Since I dont wear a tie anyways.
Or would that not fit right.And just need to find another brand?I'm pretty avarage 5'11 160 pounds.

I think it will look a bit off if you are unable to button the collar (weather you plan to or not). Try slim fit and extra slim fit at BB, or go to another store with trimmer shirts. You can also have a tailor bring in the sides or add darts if you like your shirts slimmer.

xanatos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I think it will look a bit off if you are unable to button the collar (weather you plan to or not). Try slim fit and extra slim fit at BB, or go to another store with trimmer shirts. You can also have a tailor bring in the sides or add darts if you like your shirts slimmer.

All my shirts I buy from Jcrew and wherever are pretty tight at the neck but look perfectly slim everywhere else..I tried on the slim fit at BB but i think she just sized me wrong.
I like the look of BB and the trying to find nice collars with buttons and everything else at department stores suck in terms of cut/fabric/details. And have went around everywhere to try to find something decent at a good price below the 100 dollar level.
Plus I cant find a good tailor in the OC that is competent enough.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Any wool sportscoat can handle rain. The sheep do not come in when it rains.
Bad analogy. Different weaves of wool shed water better than others. A wool jacket that ends up soaked will often need to be pressed to restore its shaping. The other components of the jacket (canvas, lining, etc.) should also handle water without too much trouble, but I still wouldn't recommend using a wool jacket as a rain coat.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
********, tell me how to pronounce "Hsieh." I meet with someone who has this name today and I dont want to look like an ass by mispronouncing it.

AnnSOS

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xanatos
I'm just getting into buying actual shirt with a sizing than buying small medium whatever. So i went to BrooksBrothers and the lady sized me at a 16 1/2 by 34 saying the 15 would be too tight around the neck.I normally wear a small or medium depending on brand cause I like my stuff slim . So alas it fit like I'm wearing daddys shirt.I could still go to a 14 or 15 and be fine with that and not be able to button up the collar?Since I dont wear a tie anyways. Or would that not fit right.And just need to find another brand?I'm pretty avarage 5'11 160 pounds.
Have you considered made to measure? I worked at Brooks Mens years ago and their slim is still quite generous. I now am a J. Hilburn rep, whose quality starting price point at $79 and topping at $175 with all the bells and whistles which I think is superb, however most good clothiers will give you some great made to measure options. This can be even more advantageous if they offer fabrics that can be made into sport or casual shirts, because here, men must choose SMLXL and can't even pick a sleeve length like with a dress shirt.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does a "split curtain waistband" actually serve a purpose, or is it just one of those sartorial details?

poissa

Reaction score
If anyone has suggestions for wool pants under $150 I'd love to hear them. Mabitex is too slim and leaves no break. I thought being 153lbs at 6' tall would work ;( Pants that will be appropriate for business casual and have a break substantial enough to cover 3/4 of an Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads