Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I"d like to get a handful of sweaters for business casual. Any suggestions of places to shop that will provide good quality at a reasonable price. I'm looking for quality over fashion [​IMG]

A Suitable Wardbrobe store has some good ones at times.

2. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

^ I've been buying a lot of J Crew sweaters lately. Not expensive and seem to hold up well.

Anyone have any experience with Black Brown 1826? It's Joseph Abboud's collaboration with Lord and Taylor.

3. daft

daft Senior member

Can anyone tell me about Kid Mohair fabric? I've did some digging but couldn't find anything useful. How does it differ from mohair?

4. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

I"d like to get a handful of sweaters for business casual. Any suggestions of places to shop that will provide good quality at a reasonable price. I'm looking for quality over fashion [​IMG]

J Crew is a good bet. Department stores like Bloomingdales often have decent sweaters that seem to always be on sale.

5. Merlin Coryell

Merlin Coryell Active Member

Can the shoulder profile of a jacket be altered easily?

I have a used jacket that has fairly square pads and Im not sure if it was taken in at the sleeves or what, but there is a noticeable bump right where the sleeve meets the shoulder that I dont care for.

Any way to take care of this at home, or is it something that can easily be altered by someone who halfway knows what theyre doing?

This was part of a 3 pc suit I scored on the cheap, so taking it somewhere to drop $50+ for the alterations isnt worth it.

Thanks.

6. vncrz

vncrz Senior member

Somewhat unrelated, but I have nowhere to ask. I created a post in the FS thread, http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=179066, and now I can't edit the original post nor change the title. I PMed on of the admins but have yet to receive a reply. Thanks

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Can the shoulder profile of a jacket be altered easily?

I have a used jacket that has fairly square pads and Im not sure if it was taken in at the sleeves or what, but there is a noticeable bump right where the sleeve meets the shoulder that I dont care for.

Any way to take care of this at home, or is it something that can easily be altered by someone who halfway knows what theyre doing?

This was part of a 3 pc suit I scored on the cheap, so taking it somewhere to drop $50+ for the alterations isnt worth it.

Thanks.

Part one: no. Part two: Definitely not.

Shoulders are a very difficult thing to modify. Donate it back.

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Thanks for the answers folks!

Got another couple questions:

1. How does a 50/50 Silk Linen blend wear? Am I going to look like a walking prune?
    !

Are you asking about wrinkles or warmth?

I've got one that is basically that with maybe 5% of something else. It wrinkles less then pure linen. OTOH it seems warmer.

9. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Can anyone tell me about Kid Mohair fabric? I've did some digging but couldn't find anything useful. How does it differ from mohair?

Kid Mohair is the softest, finest hair and it comes from young kid goats. As the goats get older the hair becomes more coarse and it's less valuable.

10. vince85

vince85 New Member

Hi Guys,

Have anyone bought any fabric for shirts/suits from Italy? If yes, any recommendation where I can get good fabrics at a good price?

11. dbc

dbc Senior member

Are his sleeves too long?

[​IMG]

12. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hi Guys,

Have anyone bought any fabric for shirts/suits from Italy? If yes, any recommendation where I can get good fabrics at a good price?

Vitale Barberis Canonico is very good value for the price and are available all over the place. Where are you located?

13. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

What does one wear with a relatively bold pair of black/white houndstooth or glen plaid wool trousers?

14. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

What does one wear with a relatively bold pair of black/white houndstooth or glen plaid wool trousers?

If it's bold, then just a plain sky blue poplin shirt will be sufficient. Either that or a black turtleneck.

15. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Can anyone ID this jumpsuit or recommend something similar? I like the slim fit and the pockets.

[​IMG]