• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

moody23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
I am very confused, and I think you are too with regards to the measurements. You wear a 32 by 30 inch waist? Do you mean you wear a 32" waist with a 30" inseam?

If you typically wear a size 38 or 40 coat but an Italian size 46 (US 36) coat fit you well, then either you wear a coat that's too big normally or that Versace was a HUGE 36.

Those pants have a waist of 34.5" with an inseam (from crotch to cuff) of 34.5". Those would fit me okay (I'm 6'3 200lbs). They are WAY too big for you.

Before you spend any money buying a suit online, you need to get yourself measured by a reputable tailor or other knowledgeable individual, else you will be waisting your money.

Sounds good. I'll take your advice. Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

djibouti

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good online resource for evaluating the quality or learning a bit about crocodile and alligator skins?

Looking at this portfolio, which is sort of wonderfully garish. Any clue if something like this is worth spending money on?
4949380821_327091b4fa.jpg

4949972934_e66877cfe8.jpg

This is also incredible, but basically the antithesis of the other. I have no idea how to distinguish what's what.
crocclutch1.jpg

Kensington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Has anyone seen a gray windowpane sport coat like this recently? I checked all the usual sources - BB, Ralph Lauren, J. Press, and O'Connels - but the closest I could find is a brown or tan background with a windowpane pattern. The gray base looks really nice, I think.

16.jpg

Forgot the jacket, where is that sweater from! :0

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jrd617
Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge?

I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford)

I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay?

01211-3.jpg

Yay. I have the same shoe in chili. Love it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kensington
Forgot the jacket, where is that sweater from! :0
Looks a lot like a Tom Ford ad, so try there. RL and Brooks would also be good bets. It's called a fair isle sweater BTW.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by djibouti
Does anyone know of a good online resource for evaluating the quality or learning a bit about crocodile and alligator skins?

Looking at this portfolio, which is sort of wonderfully garish. Any clue if something like this is worth spending money on?
4949380821_327091b4fa.jpg

4949972934_e66877cfe8.jpg

This is also incredible, but basically the antithesis of the other. I have no idea how to distinguish what's what.
crocclutch1.jpg

In a short answer, the top one is pretty much crap, and the bottom one is ridiculously expensive. The top is an old (probably dry) neck and hornback skin, which is not so desirable. The bottom was probably the belly of a 20 foot beast based on the size of those scales. Belly skins (the flat, squarish tiles) are the best cut of the skin there is.

lukejmo

Reaction score
Here's my question: I'm looking for a basic, but high quality, oxford button down shirt, that I can wear untucked. Just a real basic, but very nice, fundamental piece of clothing that'll last, go well with everything, you know what I'm talking about. I'd say my price goes up to about 250. I'm 5'7", slightly muscular but trim build. I don't know my exact measurements off-hand. Thanks in advance. Oh, and if this isn't the most appropriate question for this thread, I apologize in advance.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
is this jacket work-appropriate for a biglaw junior?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Sartoria-Par...item58898675ec

Originally Posted by spreadcollar
do you want to fit in or stick out? if the latter, then by all means...

I agree. This is too far outside of the realm of normalcy. Of course, my understanding of corporate law involves working long hours with generally unpleasant individuals and sleeping under your desk. My fear would be this coat would get you noticed and you would be swamped with snide comments. In some environments (fin serv, big law, consulting), it pays to look conventional, especially as a less experienced employee.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score

eztantz

Reaction score
I have a choice between a 44L and 46L Raglan Sanyo Trenchcoat I believe its this model. Im not sure how a raglan sleeve should fit. Am i supposed to be swimming in it or should it fit like a regular seamed shoulder trench. I am probably in between sizes but which way should I go more fitted or bulky?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads