Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. moody23

moody23 New Member

I am very confused, and I think you are too with regards to the measurements. You wear a 32 by 30 inch waist? Do you mean you wear a 32" waist with a 30" inseam?

If you typically wear a size 38 or 40 coat but an Italian size 46 (US 36) coat fit you well, then either you wear a coat that's too big normally or that Versace was a HUGE 36.

Those pants have a waist of 34.5" with an inseam (from crotch to cuff) of 34.5". Those would fit me okay (I'm 6'3 200lbs). They are WAY too big for you.

Before you spend any money buying a suit online, you need to get yourself measured by a reputable tailor or other knowledgeable individual, else you will be waisting your money.

Sounds good. I'll take your advice. Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

2. djibouti

djibouti Senior member

Does anyone know of a good online resource for evaluating the quality or learning a bit about crocodile and alligator skins?

Looking at this portfolio, which is sort of wonderfully garish. Any clue if something like this is worth spending money on?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is also incredible, but basically the antithesis of the other. I have no idea how to distinguish what's what.
    [​IMG]

3. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Has anyone seen a gray windowpane sport coat like this recently? I checked all the usual sources - BB, Ralph Lauren, J. Press, and O'Connels - but the closest I could find is a brown or tan background with a windowpane pattern. The gray base looks really nice, I think.

[​IMG]

Forgot the jacket, where is that sweater from! :0

4. acecow

acecow Senior member

Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge?

I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford)

I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay?

[​IMG]

Yay. I have the same shoe in chili. Love it.

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Forgot the jacket, where is that sweater from! :0
    Looks a lot like a Tom Ford ad, so try there. RL and Brooks would also be good bets. It's called a fair isle sweater BTW.

6. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Looks a lot like a Tom Ford ad, so try there. RL and Brooks would also be good bets. It's called a fair isle sweater BTW.

I found it. Apparently it's "Morris Stockholm" and it's not available in the US. [​IMG]

7. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Any recommendations for Penny loafers? Just a decent pair. Don't want to go high end with Aldens. My only requirement is that they don't have a super slippery sole and one that makes a clacking noise when you walk around.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Does anyone know of a good online resource for evaluating the quality or learning a bit about crocodile and alligator skins?

Looking at this portfolio, which is sort of wonderfully garish. Any clue if something like this is worth spending money on?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is also incredible, but basically the antithesis of the other. I have no idea how to distinguish what's what.
    [​IMG]

In a short answer, the top one is pretty much crap, and the bottom one is ridiculously expensive. The top is an old (probably dry) neck and hornback skin, which is not so desirable. The bottom was probably the belly of a 20 foot beast based on the size of those scales. Belly skins (the flat, squarish tiles) are the best cut of the skin there is.

9. Imperator

Imperator Senior member

10. lukejmo

lukejmo New Member

Here's my question: I'm looking for a basic, but high quality, oxford button down shirt, that I can wear untucked. Just a real basic, but very nice, fundamental piece of clothing that'll last, go well with everything, you know what I'm talking about. I'd say my price goes up to about 250. I'm 5'7", slightly muscular but trim build. I don't know my exact measurements off-hand. Thanks in advance. Oh, and if this isn't the most appropriate question for this thread, I apologize in advance.

11. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

12. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

is this jacket work-appropriate for a biglaw junior?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Sartoria-Par...item58898675ec

do you want to fit in or stick out? if the latter, then by all means...

I agree. This is too far outside of the realm of normalcy. Of course, my understanding of corporate law involves working long hours with generally unpleasant individuals and sleeping under your desk. My fear would be this coat would get you noticed and you would be swamped with snide comments. In some environments (fin serv, big law, consulting), it pays to look conventional, especially as a less experienced employee.

13. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

14. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

15. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

I have a choice between a 44L and 46L Raglan Sanyo Trenchcoat I believe its this model. Im not sure how a raglan sleeve should fit. Am i supposed to be swimming in it or should it fit like a regular seamed shoulder trench. I am probably in between sizes but which way should I go more fitted or bulky?