Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

It's 2010 I'm not sure anybody follows the rule. No white shoes,pants etc.

Dress shirts OTOH are perfectly fine.

2. Macallan9

Macallan9 Senior member

Stupid arbitrary rule. If anyone criticizes you, just ask them what the fuck the point of the rule is. There's no logical reason behind it.

3. viator

viator Senior member

Is it insane to go to Woodbury Common in NY this weekend? If it's not insane, will it be worth my while? I am looking for a suit and had good luck at Barney's last time I was there.

4. spreadcollar

spreadcollar Senior member

Return or keep a nicely cut pair of black wool trousers (odd trousers, not a suit) to wear to work in NYC?

5. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

I wound an automatic watch backwards a few hours like an idiot. I think I broke it. About how much would it cost to get it fixed?

I'm sticking with battery watches from now on. >[​IMG]

6. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

I have some pants that are size 32R that I want to get altered to size 30R. Is this advisable?

7. the_pole

the_pole Senior member

where should the bottom of the sleeve on a suit jacket reach on you hand?

8. onix

onix Senior member

9. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

mid palm (where the fingers start). However, that's for perfectly proportional person. However, this does not apply to people with unsual Arm and/or torso lengths. Hence, take this "rule" with a grain of salt.

Onix - assume you meant the bottom of the jacket, not sleeve length? I like the suit sleeve to end so that about 1/4 inch of shirt cuff is showing.

EZ

10. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge? I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford) I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay? [​IMG]

11. onix

onix Senior member

Onix - assume you meant the bottom of the jacket, not sleeve length? I like the suit sleeve to end so that about 1/4 inch of shirt cuff is showing.

EZ

Argh, I misread the question. Thanks for pointing out.

12. moody23

moody23 New Member

Hello, I recently stumbled upon this amazing site. I am a recent graduate, and as a result, am not as educated on suits as the majority of the members on this board. I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Milano last year, and after witnessing the fashion of the Italian culture first hand, I have developed quite the fascination with well, crafted suits.

Anyhow, I am interested in a suit in the buy/sell area but am uncertain about whether or not it will fit me. Could someone please explain to me what the below sizing means, particularly the area regarding the size of the pants? Thank you. Typically I wear a 32 by 30 inch waist, and fit a size 38R/40S suit. Most of the suits in the buy/sell forum appear to be from Italy, so if it helps I purchased a couple of Versace suits during my stay in Milano that were size 46 and fit exceptionally well on my upper-body . I am short 5'8 with an athletic build.

40S chest: 21.5" / shoulders: 18.5" / sleeves: 23.75" / BOC: 28.25" / pants: 34.5" x 34.75", with 10" rise

Particularly, how does the 10" rise on the pants impact the sizing? Are these pants too big for me? Thank you for any help provided. Please forgive me for asking such tailor-specific questions, but I am ignorant as to buying suits online and also am not aware of my exact measurements. Thanks again

13. blackwar12

blackwar12 Well-Known Member

14. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

Hello, I recently stumbled upon this amazing site. I am a recent graduate, and as a result, am not as educated on suits as the majority of the members on this board. I was fortunate enough to study abroad in Milano last year, and after witnessing the fashion of the Italian culture first hand, I have developed quite the fascination with well, crafted suits.

Anyhow, I am interested in a suit in the buy/sell area but am uncertain about whether or not it will fit me. Could someone please explain to me what the below sizing means, particularly the area regarding the size of the pants? Thank you. Typically I wear a 32 by 30 inch waist, and fit a size 38R/40S suit. Most of the suits in the buy/sell forum appear to be from Italy, so if it helps I purchased a couple of Versace suits during my stay in Milano that were size 46 and fit exceptionally well on my upper-body . I am short 5'8 with an athletic build.

40S chest: 21.5" / shoulders: 18.5" / sleeves: 23.75" / BOC: 28.25" / pants: 34.5" x 34.75", with 10" rise

Particularly, how does the 10" rise on the pants impact the sizing? Are these pants too big for me? Thank you for any help provided. Please forgive me for asking such tailor-specific questions, but I am ignorant as to buying suits online and also am not aware of my exact measurements. Thanks again

I am very confused, and I think you are too with regards to the measurements. You wear a 32 by 30 inch waist? Do you mean you wear a 32" waist with a 30" inseam?

If you typically wear a size 38 or 40 coat but an Italian size 46 (US 36) coat fit you well, then either you wear a coat that's too big normally or that Versace was a HUGE 36.

Those pants have a waist of 34.5" with an inseam (from crotch to cuff) of 34.5". Those would fit me okay (I'm 6'3 200lbs). They are WAY too big for you.

Before you spend any money buying a suit online, you need to get yourself measured by a reputable tailor or other knowledgeable individual, else you will be waisting your money.

15. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

Thoughts on the Allen Edmonds Weybridge?

I picked up the black version today at Nordstrom Rack for $120. Not a bad deal. I got it to take pressure off the only other black balmoral in my rotation. (C&J Bedford)

I've never had a shoe with a floral medallion design like that. Yay or nay?

[​IMG]

I'm okay with the floral medallion. What I don't like is the broguing from the medallion up the vamp to the laces. I think it looks weird. But most people won't even notice, so if you like them, rock them!