Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Hey guys, how are Brooks Brothers suits?

Awful at retail. Wait until they're in the clearance bin at 40-50% off, and even then maybe not worth it. Depends on your price range.

2. cb_32

cb_32 Senior member

Awful at retail. Wait until they're in the clearance bin at 40-50% off, and even then maybe not worth it. Depends on your price range.

im mostly inquiring about fit and quality.

3. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

im mostly inquiring about fit and quality.
    Which line of BB suits are you looking at? Golden Fleece, 1818, or 346? -------------- My question: can you wear a white contrast collar shirt with a striped suit? I imagine this is faux pas, but just curious. How about a contrast collar with a great suit?

4. KevinTJH

KevinTJH Member

I need a rockstar costume/outfit for a costume party I'll be attending tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I've got the rocker bracelet and a fake ear ring.

THIS IS REALLY URGENT!

Thanks in advance!

5. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I just got a trench coat that's too long... it has an internal liner that's pretty cool that I want to preserve; it attaches by zipper. What can I expect to pay a decent tailor to shorten it?
    Bump, looking for insight. Might scrap the liner

6. nohio

nohio Senior member

I can't decide if I should change the shoulder, arm, and bicep measurements on my next shirt from Modern Tailor. I'm mainly concerned with the areas around the armpits on the front and back. Also, not sure if the arms are too long. I know for certain that the waist is too small on my first one (that is why it's unbuttoned for the pics). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. landshark

landshark Senior member

I can't decide if I should change the shoulder, arm, and bicep measurements on my next shirt from Modern Tailor. I'm mainly concerned with the areas around the armpits on the front and back. Also, not sure if the arms are too long. I know for certain that the waist is too small on my first one (that is why it's unbuttoned for the pics). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What you should do is get a shirt tailored to fit you perfectly, spend $10 to send it to Modern Tailor, and have them duplicate that shirt with all your future orders.

8. Tanker

Tanker New Member

Hey guys, just registered, first time poster here.

I have a pretty broad/bulky/fat-ish body type with a bit of a small hump below my neck on my back, not fit at all. During the winters I'm fine, however during the spring/summer/fall I often wear t-shirts that don't fit me properly. I've noticed it's becuase the t-shirts I own aren't of good quality or are too thin/flimsy and do not fit on me well. They often have my chest extrude too much or they expose my neck/hump in my back.

Where are some good places to start looking for t-shirts/nice looking shirts that will fit me properly? I don't want any v-neck shirts and I'm looking for shirts that aren't loose and thin.

9. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Will brooks brothers have a sale on regular shirts soon, or should I go ahead and buy them now instead of waiting? Thanks.

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

not sure where to post this. I'm not used to wearing suits/ties beyond funeral/interview/wedding situations, where I traditionally have worn solid shirts. would like to try something different for a wedding this weekend. Saturday night in the city, but certainly not black tie or black tie optional. want to wear something with a little more flavor/fun.
    would this shirt work with this suit? blue or orange ties the best?

no offense, but [​IMG] generally between shirt, suit, and tie, only two should have a pattern at most (generalization). For formal events, stick to white shirts. Those ties are pretty bad, especially the orange one, very 90's. Get a nice simple grenadine in a sharp color like burgandy or something.
    This is a linen suit that I just picked up from alterations after buying it from the b&s forum (my first purchase). I wasn't planning on opening up a new thread, and can't find my proper camera, but was hoping if the fit of the suit is passable? (be gentle, I havn't posted pics before).
    looks good. Maybe a little high on the button stance, but a 9/10 at least. Enjoy! and avoid Ketchup [​IMG]
    Looks pretty good to me. Shoulders look a little wide, arms could be slimmed a little further. Try reaching in front of you (like you're typing). Try crossing your arms - is the back too tight? sleeves become too short? Chest looks ok, maybe just a little big compared to the waist. See what others think too, those are just my first thoughts.

11. poissa

poissa Senior member

Strictly speaking, the style is "blucher". When use the word "oxfords" many may understand it as "balmorals". The toe is "perforated captoes", some also use "punch-cap" to describe them.

The wear on the sole is medium to light, probably worn about < 10 times. But whoever had this pair doesn't polish the upper well enough (wrong polish color for example).

why is this shoe worth < $70 or whatever you said ? if its been worn 10 times has it been sitting in the closet?

12. poissa

poissa Senior member

So I need a new pair of trousers, any type is fine. My first thought coming to mind is try going the MTM route and get some wool pants, ideally once the sizing is correct, I'll avoid paying for the pants and again for finishes. Is said logic flawed? What are some brands that provide decent value? The Docker's brand ain't bad for $30-35 just not a great fit for me.

13. poissa

poissa Senior member

black pinstripe pants with brown oxfords ... is that a no no?

14. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

black pinstripe pants with brown oxfords ... is that a no no?

Depends on the shade of brown.

EZ

15. poissa

poissa Senior member

Depends on the shade of brown.

EZ

the darker the better?