Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. KendallAndKendall

KendallAndKendall Senior member

Not very knowledgeable when it comes to shoes - How would you describe these shoes? The style of shoe (ie: oxfords?) and type of toe (captoe?), and any other information would be appreciated. Also, how would you describe the wear? http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...Various/RL.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Shoes/RL2.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Shoes/RL3.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Shoes/RL4.jpg http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/a...0Shoes/RL5.jpg

2. onix

onix Senior member

[​IMG] Not very knowledgeable when it comes to shoes - How would you describe these shoes? The style of shoe (ie: oxfords?) and type of toe (captoe?), and any other information would be appreciated.
    Strictly speaking, the style is "blucher". When use the word "oxfords" many may understand it as "balmorals". The toe is "perforated captoes", some also use "punch-cap" to describe them. The wear on the sole is medium to light, probably worn about < 10 times. But whoever had this pair doesn't polish the upper well enough (wrong polish color for example).

3. arc

arc Senior member

Punch cap usually refers to just a punch cap and no other ornamentation, no? I think you'd call them semi-brogue bluchers/derbies?

4. KendallAndKendall

Strictly speaking, the style is "blucher". When use the word "oxfords" many may understand it as "balmorals". The toe is "perforated captoes", some also use "punch-cap" to describe them. The wear on the sole is medium to light, probably worn about < 10 times. But whoever had this pair doesn't polish the upper well enough (wrong polish color for example).
    Thank you for the information and fast reply. I paid $73 for the shoes - I felt, considering the wear of the shoe (which really isn't that bad), that i over payed. What is your opinion on that? Edit - I was just refunded $35, so really only payed $38. + Shipping.

5. arc

arc Senior member

$38 sounds like a really good deal if they fit well.

6. onix

onix Senior member

Thank you for the information and fast reply. I paid $73 for the shoes - I felt, considering the wear of the shoe (which really isn't that bad), that i over payed. What is your opinion on that?

Edit - I was just refunded $35, so really only payed $38. + Shipping.

You got a good deal, i.e. not bad but not incredible.

7. SeanathonHuff

SeanathonHuff Senior member

Hey SF, Hey SF, I'm 6'2" and 175 pounds, and I have a large chest. In order to accomodate my 43" inch chest, I have to order a L, but most L shirts are too long & too loose at the waist. [​IMG] Alternative Apparel blanks tees (size L) & GAP fitted shirt (size M) fit well, but I can't find any middle ground as far as my level of 'dressing up'. I'm looking for standard button-down shirts with patterns, but I haven't been able to find any brands that match my body type. In other words, I'm looking for shirts designed for stylish buff people, because I'm certainly not looking good in the skinny scene sizing. I have no problem wearing a dress shirt every time I leave the house after 9 pm, but I look odd at times. Recap Ideally: Pattern button-downs with 43" chest, 29" length, 31" waist. Most brands: Pattern-button downs with 43" chest, 31" length, 35" waist Thanks much Sean

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. arc

arc Senior member

Hey SF, I'm 6'2" and 175 pounds, and I have a large chest. In order to accomodate my 43" inch chest, I have to order a L, but most L shirts are too long & too loose at the waist. [​IMG] Alternative Apparel blanks tees (size L) & GAP fitted shirt (size M) fit well, but I can't find any middle ground as far as my level of 'dressing up'. I'm looking for standard button-down shirts with patterns, but I haven't been able to find any brands that match my body type. In other words, I'm looking for shirts designed for stylish buff people, because I'm certainly not looking good in the skinny scene sizing. I have no problem wearing a dress shirt every time I leave the house after 9 pm, but I look odd at times. Recap Ideally: Pattern button-downs with 43" chest, 29" length, 31" waist. Most brands: Pattern-button downs with 43" chest, 31" length, 35" waist Thanks much Sean
    Looked through the slim fit shirt sticky? It has measurements on tons of RTW shirts. You could also just go MTM. ModernTailor, Cottonworks, etc. Also keep in mind that waist measurements can be reduced really easily and cheaply by having them darted at a tailor.

9. schecterguitar50

schecterguitar50 New Member

Hey guys. So I'm pretty new to this forum and was wondering if I could get some help. Basically, right now I've been wearing a lot of inexpensive clothes and I'm lookin for somethin better. I wear a lot of Bullhead brand jeans (PacSun's brand) and a lot of billabong, hurley, and band t-shirts.

I'm looking for some nicer jeans and t-shirts, and some dress shirts that I can wear to class and still go out in. Any ideas of some brands that I should look into?

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Best cap toes in the $100-$300 range?

Used to be AE Park Avenues*, but I think they just went over $300 and now cost $325. Still, should be able to easily get them any day of the week with at least a 10% discount - try jos a bank.

*This assumes the last fits you. It doesn't fit me, which is why I don't own them.

11. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Option 2, save a small amount more and get Aldens. Park Aves are more than $300 anyway.

1) AE's captoe is much better design than Alden, even despite 360 welt. The captoe is one of those styles that Alden sucks at, and one of those styles AE is good at. Now, if we were talking tassel loafer or Indy boot (or a shell wingtip boot), I would do Alden before AE.

2) AE is routinely available for at least a 10% discount, and it shouldn't be difficult to find one for $200.00

12. YOgun27

YOgun27 Senior member

I just bought an RLBL Black Pinstripe suit on sale (extra 40%) at the RL store for $530 (pre-alterations). Was this a good deal?

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

When Allen Edmonds says `Custom Calf` is that marketing slang for `This isn't full grain`?

I think Custom Calf and Burnished Calf are full grain, and anything with the term "cobbler" or "polished cobbler" in it is definitely corrected grain. (Burnished is almost definitely full grain)

Less sure about the other materials - I know there is a new material being used for the new penny loafers that is supposed to be a high grade/quality corrected grain, but I haven't seen or handled it live yet.

14. dawson89

dawson89 Member

OK, alot of the stuff I see that inspires me comes from films. for example Fight Club and pretty much anything Tyler Durden wears in it. I think another great film for reference is My Own Private Idaho. All I would like to know is if anyone knows the exact name and make of the coat that River Phoenix wears in this pic. Cheers! http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...0&tx=119&ty=57

15. KendallAndKendall

Looking for a pair of chukkas(?). Hoping to spend &gt;$150. Suggestions?