• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Since you piqued my curiosity about high rise pants again I've found these two additional shops:
  • Berg & Berg has quite a few high rise pants as well
  • Berle seems to be a small pants only brand I've never heard of before but they seem to offer a wide variety of rises
  • AMFEAST INTERNATIONAL another brand I've never heard of before

Berg & Berg looks promising, but I have to say that their products are quite expensive. Berle, unfortunately, does not offer my size, but theirs look acceptable. Honestly, I think I may have to stick with Yeossal for now.

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently had a MTM suit made and since I've just had the options of getting a thin or a wide lapel, I've went with the wide lapel. Now I'm a bit self conscious about it and would like to have your opinion on it.

In general I'm definitely a fan of wider lapels but I'm just not sure if this is already too wide (4").

(Please excuse the bad image quality, I was trying to increase the exposure since it was to dark to properly see the lapels otherwise)

The lapel looks fine, fits in with the current trend. Btw, which MTM brand is this?

Reactions: flx

flx

Reaction score
The lapel looks fine, fits in with the current trend. Btw, which MTM brand is this?
I've bought it at Lanieri and had my girlfriend measure me at home.

I think all things considered it turned out pretty well, even if there's still some room for improvement.

The most visible / important thing that had to be altered was the back. Therefore I let a local tailor alter the collar crease and cannelli (not sure how it's called in english). There's still a little bit of excess fabric left now but it wouldn't be economical to alter it since they'd have to redo the whole back (but honestly I don't think it's very noticeable if you are not into suits or don't know specifically what to look for).

Let's see how my next suit from Lanieri will turn out when they can include those alterations directly into the production.

(by the way the picture are still from before I've had it altered)

jalebi

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if this button is handsewn?

Front

20200621_234938.jpg

Back

20200621_234944.jpg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks so, yes

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
1. Can anybody clearly explain and illustrate the Tautz Lapel? I've searched around and found a few places that purport to explain it, but I can't seem to get a clear sense of its shape and most of the time it just looks like peak lapels. Am I missing some subtle, but important difference or is this like how putting a cocktail onion in a Martini makes it a Gibson?*

2. Is there any particular merchant or quality that I should look to for silk knot cufflinks? I'm interested in procuring a few, but I don't really know the available alternatives, much less how I should discern among them.

*I know that there are arguments about proportions of gin to vermouth, bitters and this or that to be made, but I think that the analogy suffices at any reasonable level of scrutiny, which is to say not much.

BlackToothedGrin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a suede tassel loafer $400 or less that either fit wider in the toe box or come in an E width? Having trouble finding one from the preferred makers on the forum. Don’t want to spend Alden money and don’t want AE quality

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to look for a quality shawl collar cardigan in tall sizes? Willing to spend in the $600 USD range.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on where to look for a quality shawl collar cardigan in tall sizes? Willing to spend in the $600 USD range.
I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from him. It's on sale too. Code is on the main page.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Can anybody clearly explain and illustrate the Tautz Lapel? I've searched around and found a few places that purport to explain it, but I can't seem to get a clear sense of its shape and most of the time it just looks like peak lapels. Am I missing some subtle, but important difference or is this like how putting a cocktail onion in a Martini makes it a Gibson?*

2. Is there any particular merchant or quality that I should look to for silk knot cufflinks? I'm interested in procuring a few, but I don't really know the available alternatives, much less how I should discern among them.

*I know that there are arguments about proportions of gin to vermouth, bitters and this or that to be made, but I think that the analogy suffices at any reasonable level of scrutiny, which is to say not much.
As for number two I do t think there’s much variance in quality for silk knots. I‘ve acquired several pairs in a variety of colours (black, navy, red, gold ... ) which I was about to put on eBay. PayPal me $10 and PM me your address and they’re yours!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it’s similar to your Gibson analogy, it’s a peak lapel with a horizontal (or near horizontal) gorge.

As for number two I do t think there’s much variance in quality for silk knots. I‘ve acquired several pairs in a variety of colours (black, navy, red, gold ... ) which I was about to put on eBay. PayPal me $10 and PM me your address and they’re yours!

This is awesome, and one of the bright spots of this forum..... good on you.

ahtynes

Reaction score
Does anyone have any strong thoughts on Rubinacci's Marphy vs. Baudoin & Lange? Fit, comfort, construction in particular.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Can someone recommend a suede tassel loafer $400 or less that either fit wider in the toe box or come in an E width? Having trouble finding one from the preferred makers on the forum. Don’t want to spend Alden money and don’t want AE quality

Worst case, you could go Meermin MTO.

I'm not sue if Carmina's lasts would fit you, but they have sales.

Meermin lists this as E, but that's medium to them, so I don't know: https://meermin.com/collections/mens-loafers/products/101381-brown-suede-e. Their unlined might be more forgiving: https://meermin.com/collections/mens-loafers/products/114424-brown-alicante-suede-e

JackEst3

Reaction score
I have already got several navy crew-neck and v-neck sweaters, but I've been thinking of getting something in other colours for this fall/winter: a v-neck and possibly a cardigan as well.

What colours do you recommend?

They would usually be worn to school in a smart casual style with navy, khaki and sometimes grey trousers, usually layered over a button-down shirt and sometimes under a sports coat in grey or blue.

Grey would be a safe choice, I'd imagine, I've also been thinking of red/burgundy for a bit more interesting option.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a shoulder bag to carry my work laptop in - given that I'm normally in a suit?

I had a Linjer briefcase, but I don't particularly like having to hold the briefcase in my hands as I'm usually juggling an umbrella, coffee, etc. The shoulder strip on the Linjer briefcase is too stiff and the bag generally slips off my shoulder.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics