• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

JilSlander

Reaction score
SF brethren, I can't find a well-fitting, non-iron white dress shirt (spread/classic collar).

The Brooks Brothers Regent/Slim fits me perfectly, but the 32 sleeve length is 1-2 inches too long and can't be shortened given the stitching/construction (as said by my tailors). Tyrwhitt shirts also fit me terribly (Slim is too baggy, Extra Slim is too tight).

Can anyone recommend an alternative? I desperately need one for a wedding next week. Thank you!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
What sleeve “can’t be shortened”? That’s bullshit. Sleeves can be taken up from the sleeve head or by shortening the sleeve and moving the cuff. I’m sure one of these can be applied to the shirt in question, by a competent alterations tailor.

Moose22

Reaction score
Seriously @JilSlander you need to try a different tailor. My local guy shortened sleeves for me as part of the purchase price before I went MtM on shirts. It's about the most common thing behind hemming pants. And there is absolutely nothing odd about a normal Brooks Brothers shirt.

I may be wrong, but since your time frame is a week, get a second opinion from a different tailor.

mactire

Reaction score
This is the third linen garment (two shorts, one pant) from two different tailors that has come apart in the same general area. I believe, but am not certain, that the other rips started closer to the front than this one, but still in the undercarriage, as it were. Any recommendations, other than a smaller ass and balls? View attachment 986386

How old are they? The seat measurement might be a bit on the tight size causing wear. Can you squat comfortably in them? Maybe use a heavier weight?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is the third linen garment (two shorts, one pant) from two different tailors that has come apart in the same general area. I believe, but am not certain, that the other rips started closer to the front than this one, but still in the undercarriage, as it were. Any recommendations, other than a smaller ass and balls? View attachment 986386
I would guess the pants are too tight.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SF brethren, I can't find a well-fitting, non-iron white dress shirt (spread/classic collar).

The Brooks Brothers Regent/Slim fits me perfectly, but the 32 sleeve length is 1-2 inches too long and can't be shortened given the stitching/construction (as said by my tailors). Tyrwhitt shirts also fit me terribly (Slim is too baggy, Extra Slim is too tight).

Can anyone recommend an alternative? I desperately need one for a wedding next week. Thank you!
Non iron shirts are glued together. @imatlas @Moose22
They are a ***** to alter. Take a seam ripper to one and see how hard it is too remove a sleeve placket, wbich is the correct way to shorten a sleeve. Find a regular cotton. shirt. Good luck since most inexpensive shirts are non iron.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ thank you for clearing that up. Makes sense.

Moose22

Reaction score
Non iron shirts are glued together. @imatlas @Moose22
They are a ***** to alter. Take a seam ripper to one and see how hard it is too remove a sleeve placket, wbich is the correct way to shorten a sleeve. Find a regular cotton. shirt. Good luck since most inexpensive shirts are non iron.

Very interesting.

The shirts I got from my tailor were non-iron. Not cheap, but one of the things I liked was that they could be pulled from the wash, hung on a hanger, and would come out looking crisp. He'd always shorten the sleeves for me.

Good to know the BB shirts are different. Learn something every day.

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Recently I bought a sport blazer at YOOX at a good price but its sleeve seems to be too large.
I'm struggling to return it or not.

May anyone know it would be easy and expensive to alter blazer sleeve in a tailor shop ?
will it be strange-looking if a Size "S" sleeve width is adjusted to a Size "XS, for example ?"
But I guess the proportion of the sleeve will likely be damaged.

Much appreciate if any gentleman can leave his opinions / experience on sleeve width alternation

Thomson

Reaction score
@JilSlander

I have had a BB non iron shirt altered at the cuff. It is possible. The folds at the cuff of the original shirt look like they have been pressed. Now, my alterations tailor has just gathered folds of fabric to recreate the look of the BB cuff and the creases are gone. However, only you would notice. It looks fine.

I bought the shirt on a business trip when my bags were delayed. Don't want anybody thinking I buy non iron shirts out of choice :))

useless_username

Reaction score
Could anyone suggest a source for traditional tattersall shirts?

I'm trying to find said shirts in a relatively slim fit (or what would be considered a normal fit for dress shirts). Most country shirts seem to come in huge tent-like sizes...

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could anyone suggest a source for traditional tattersall shirts?

I'm trying to find said shirts in a relatively slim fit (or what would be considered a normal fit for dress shirts). Most country shirts seem to come in huge tent-like sizes...

It’s easy and cheap for any tailor to slim it down for you.

erakettu

Reaction score
Squeaky shoes.

Recent ebay find, meermin monks with dainite soles.
Walking on any surface makes squeaky sound. Which in my opinion tells its not about the rubber sole. Theres no gaps or anything in the sole indicating the dainite coming off.

Shoes are a bit tight from front, but not sure if that's the cause. I don't feel any weird foot (or air) movement.

Not sure if its from the tongue either, since really bending the shoe makes a different sound when the leathers glide on each other.

Kinda baffled with this problem, any more ideas?

ThomGault

Reaction score
Squeaky shoes.

Recent ebay find, meermin monks with dainite soles.
Walking on any surface makes squeaky sound. Which in my opinion tells its not about the rubber sole. Theres no gaps or anything in the sole indicating the dainite coming off.

Shoes are a bit tight from front, but not sure if that's the cause. I don't feel any weird foot (or air) movement.

Not sure if its from the tongue either, since really bending the shoe makes a different sound when the leathers glide on each other.

Kinda baffled with this problem, any more ideas?
Without a definite location of the sound, it's hard to say. If you think it's the leather, you could try a full moisturization/polishing (which you should've done already anyway.)
Otherwise perhaps visit a cobbler and see if they can locate the squeak and repair it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads