• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bpm2000

Reaction score
can you get away with wearing a fabric belt with a casual suit? think khaki + suede or something.

downwithianbrown

Reaction score
i just got the BBBF suit on gilt http://www.gilt.com/s/black-fleece-1f9/product/37713085 i know nothing about the ettiquette of suits/seasons. I'm clueless. Can I wear this to a wedding on labor day weekend? it's not a black tie wedding. kind of casual. I was thinking with a blue oxford and a thin vintage rl floral tie I have. what im really asking is this too heavy of a suit? can I wear this year round?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Valentino blazer
Kiton shirt
Gucci pant
MD belt
Pantherella socks
JL loafers
Creed cologne
Piaget watch

confused.gif

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was at Club Monaco today and found a blue and white striped oxford cloth shirt with white button down collar, as well as a blue oxford cloth shirt with a white club collar, and Im not 100% sure if I should keep them. They were both slim fitting and on sale for $30, but I cant tell if it would be a good look. Any opinions?

daruma

Reaction score
so a friend who is real short and heavy (5'2 160lbs) is going to the wedding im going to but he doesnt know what suit to wear or what to look for. a local tailor is recommending a 3-roll-2.5 but i just wanna know what the general opinion here is for people of my friends build

unkownone

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a hat to go with a suit that I bought. The suit is a kind of pastel purple with a thin plaid pattern. The coat has matching pants and I usually wear it with a hot pink dress shirt and a white tie. I'm not really sure where I would even buy a hat or what would even match. I would really appreciate your help
smile.gif
If you'd like pictures of the colors or the full ensemble, that's totally do-able. Thanks
smile.gif

By the way, I really have no knowledge of terminology of stuff or any real knowledge of fashion.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by downwithianbrown
i just got the BBBF suit on gilt
http://www.gilt.com/s/black-fleece-1f9/product/37713085

i know nothing about the ettiquette of suits/seasons. I'm clueless. Can I wear this to a wedding on labor day weekend? it's not a black tie wedding. kind of casual. I was thinking with a blue oxford and a thin vintage rl floral tie I have.

what im really asking is this too heavy of a suit? can I wear this year round?

A solid dark gray suit is appropriate for nearly any non-formal occasion regardless of the time of year. Whether it is too heavy is a question of comfort more than appropriateness.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unkownone
I'm trying to find a hat to go with a suit that I bought. The suit is a kind of pastel purple with a thin plaid pattern. The coat has matching pants and I usually wear it with a hot pink dress shirt and a white tie. I'm not really sure where I would even buy a hat or what would even match. I would really appreciate your help
smile.gif
If you'd like pictures of the colors or the full ensemble, that's totally do-able. Thanks
smile.gif

By the way, I really have no knowledge of terminology of stuff or any real knowledge of fashion.

What you're describing is costume, not fashion or style. If you're wearing a suit like that, what difference would a hat make? You're not going to get any more or less attention or be considered by others to be wearing any less of a costume than if you wore just the suit by itself.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unkownone
smile.gif
smile.gif

Actually...ditch the hot pink shirt. Get a cream linen shirt (wear unbuttoned at all times) and a light brown (tan) fedora. Plus a dark tan and white/black spectators. It'd totally work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads