• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0tGQjVu.png

Is this sleeve too short? Is it worth trying to add an inch? (working - and handmade - buttonholes would mean this is an expensive shoulder job)

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How easy is it to taper the legs from the crotch down? I got four pairs of zanella really cheap ($60 each) during black friday. I would hate to return them but they are a bit baggy. How much can I expect to pay in nyc?
I usually get it done from the knee down and I think it usually around $25 a pair. That's a good price though so I would budget for at least $10 more than that per pair.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this sleeve too short? Is it worth trying to add an inch? (working - and handmade - buttonholes would mean this is an expensive shoulder job)

I am not convinced you aren't holding your arm a little bit behind where it would normally fall, exaggerating the situation.

Even if you were not, you don't need an inch, and I don't think the shoulder would be the place.

It may be possible to lengthen from the cuff, even with working buttonholes. The risk is that if the fabric is worn, you might have a lighter line from wear if it is possible to length. If it needs anything, it is only a half inch

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has Charles Tyrwhitt changed their cut in the last year or two?

Used to enjoy their non-iron shirts as a workhorse dress shirt--the slim fit was a bit better on me than BB slim, everything except the poplin fabric felt decent (I like the twills, but the poplin was truly bad), and they could be had for cheap.

Recently hopped on a 3/$100 promo, and having worn 2 of the shirts already, they just don't feel good. The armholes are all wrong...pulls tight at the chest when I lift my arms, cuffs ride up super high when I reach forward (even though I bought my usual 35 sleeve), etc. Shoulders feel off too. Whole thing fits like a random-brand dress shirt you'd pick up for $19.99 at a Kohls, while the CT slims used to have a decent cut.

These shirts I have tried are of a different fabric than usual...more complex weaves like this:
FOB0229RBL_b.jpg
so there is a possibility that the fit is only different for these types of fabric, and might still be the same for the Twill.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have slim fit shirts from CT from a few years back that fit great and now their slim fits don't fit me at all - tight armholes, pulling, as you described. After trying on shirts in one of their stores the other week I'd have to wear classic fit for my chest and then get the sides taken in. The SA couldn't tell me when the cuts changed but they certainly have.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bummer. Probably had something to do with them adding a "Super Slim" and then probably rejiggering the fit of the Slim and Extra Slim

I probably have the same issue as you--it is generally my chest that dictates the shirts I can wear. Never tried the Extra Slim at CT, but that's certainly how it is at BB. The BB slim (or whatever they call it now) could easily be slimmer in the body, but the BB extra slim is way too tight in the chest.

Have any of the online MTM companies come out with non-iron shirts that are comparable to the BB/CT treatments? Been a while since I looked at them.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of the online MTM companies come out with non-iron shirts that are comparable to the BB/CT treatments? Been a while since I looked at them.

Not sure. I have 2 non irons from CT that are nice and soft, and some others that wear like construction paper. I'll probably stick with Luxire going forward. I would have bought some shirts at CT out of convenience but they don't stock my size. Apparently if you're not an Extra Slim Fit you're not a consideration.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure. I have 2 non irons from CT that are nice and soft, and some others that wear like construction paper. I'll probably stick with Luxire going forward. I would have bought some shirts at CT out of convenience but they don't stock my size. Apparently if you're not an Extra Slim Fit you're not a consideration.

Probably the non iron Poplin fabric--I remember that being one of the worst shirts I ever owned.

Shawl Lapel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the non iron Poplin fabric--I remember that being one of the worst shirts I ever owned.

Could be. Not carrying my size in-store and having virtually no selection of spread collar shirts online in 16/36 Classic Fit (I mean c'mon, that's not an abnormal size) pretty much has me writing CT off. They've gone the way of the extreme skinny like everything else these days.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
Where's a good place to find cuff links for about $40-$80 besides Kent Wang?

apolloali

Reaction score
I'm going to a wedding soon and needed a new suit. I haven't bought a suit in years since I rarely need them — I ended up buying a J.Crew Ludlow at 50% off. So about $325. I'm already fairly stressed about the cost, since I'm trying to save right now. Can I do better for that price?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ThomGault

Reaction score
I ended up buying a J.Crew Ludlow at 50% off. So about $325. I'm already fairly stressed about the cost, since I'm trying to save right now. Can I do better for that price?
[Can] you? Sure. Thrift stores, eBay, or the SF sales thread. But that takes time and a knowledge of what you need. An alternative I prefer would be a BB 346 suit. I'm unaware of the current asking price, but I guarantee they're on sale right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics