Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

It depends on the depth of the button. cheap shell buttons are 2mm or thinner. These are more prone to breakage. The super thick buttons that are 3.5mm or thicker are prone to chips. I use 2.5-3mm buttons. I seem to get less breakage. Mop is stronger then trocas, and river shell.

2. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

3. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior member

@joe907 With a proper technique you can iron you're shirts in approx 3 mins each - i thought it took ages then i first begun as well.

4. colco

colco Senior member

I enjoy ironing good quality shirts, in the same way I like caring for shell cordovan shoes. I find it calming.

5. flvinny521

flvinny521 Senior member

Care to share your technique? I've been ironing my own shirts for years. For the shirts I wear with a suit, I only iron the collar, yoke, cuffs and fronts, and it still takes me 7-8 minutes per shirt. A more casual shirt is a good 10-12 minutes. I don't know if it's my technique or the cheap ironing board.

6. Isaac Joyce

Isaac Joyce New Member

Has anyone had any experience with the site defesahetero.org ? They're premium suit prices seem a little to good to be true and I can't find any information about the site and the site itself doesn't have any information about their sourcing. The limited copy they do have seems to be poorly translated.

7. joe907

joe907 New Member

I've read posts about how to quickly iron but still need near 10 minutes to do what I think is a decent job. Perhaps I'm not giving myself long enough to learn, but my schedule makes the extra time painful rather than relaxing at the moment.

8. MrUnderwood

MrUnderwood Senior member

Of course, here is what i do. The time varies abit if the shirt is bad; some shirts are way easier to iron than others.

9. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Senior member

Paris, PM me if you happen to come and want a free
    Hanging shirt for drying and ironing before it's totally dry improved my ironing time, skills also enter into account, but some fabrics just suck for ironing

10. mactire

mactire Senior member

Large washing machines used in industrial settings are harder on clothes I believe. One thing you can do is button them up and turn them inside out so they don't hit off the inside of the machine.

11. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Agreed with the rest. For me to get a dry cleaner quality press. I need to take several minutes per shirt.

12. colco

colco Senior member

On the shirt ironing, nearly all of my shirts are oxford cloth, which irons up very easily. and to my mind is supposed to look a bit rumpled anyway. I don't worry about having perfect creases on the sleeves, etc. I suppose if I favored a more "pressed" look I'd send to the cleaners. I do that for my tuxedo shirts for that reason.