Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cakv

cakv Senior member

Ah, so may I ask what soft tailoring is then? I'm reading an old thread started by David reeves and am still not sure.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I take it to mean tailoring (jackets) with little or no padding, light canvas, and sometimes (though not always) literally soft cloth used to make the jacket. The canvas seems to me to be the most important factor in achieving a "soft" look. Something lighter than the heavier horsehairs that accompanies other jackets and gives them a structured, "harder," look. If I can give my own example, here is a picture of a flannel sport coat by Kent Wang with no padding and a light canvas. It almost fits and feels like a sweater.

tnb2.png

3. Kelvin0683

Kelvin0683 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have recommendations as to where I can find cufflinks for around $100?

4. cakv

cakv Senior member

@Caustic Man

Thank you! That was very helpful. Is rooing inherently formal? If I were to make/buy a coat, I'd like it to have very lightly padded shoulders with roping

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

IMO very little is INHERENTLY formal. It all depends on the context an led what you do with it.

@Kelvin0683 it depends on what kind of cuff links you want. KentWang.com has some excellent ones.

6. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior member

I have some trousers that are a bit loose around the seat. I asked my local alterations place if they could take in the centre seat seam around 1cm on each side of the seam. They said that it wasn't possible to do this without taking in the waist as well, as the 'seam needs to remain straight'. Can that be right? I would have thought doing this wasn't any different, in a way, to letting the waist out by this amount and leaving the lower seat unaltered.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM

7. Luaks

Luaks New Member

I'm not sure if I am in the correct thread here, cause this is my first post, but I have a question regarding my new trousers. Since I moved to a new city, I gave them to a new tailor, who didn't do a good job in my opinion. The pants only needed to be hemmed, but after the alternations, they don't fall naturally/straight anymore (not in one line). Could that be, because the cuffs aren't aligned correctly to the inseam? I'll attach two pictures to show you what I mean. Any other solutions for my problem?

Thank you!
    IMG_20170920_005032[1].jpg IMG_20170920_005100[1].jpg

8. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

Without seeing you in the pants. It can be done without going into the waist

9. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored