Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. daruma

daruma Senior member

for a wedding: navy blue suit, 3-roll-2, peak or notch lapel?

2. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Topic: Brioni sportswear shirt sizing

Bought a Brioni sportswear shirt, size M. The collar is 16.5 inches but the sleeves are 35 inches. I wear 16.5x33. Essentially, the sleeve is extended by the width of the barrel cuff (2 inches).

Is the line designed this way on purpose? The SA said they make the sleeve length this length in Europe as they like long sleeves, however I'm skeptical though.

Is it possible they designed it to allow for as much tailoring as required for a fit?

Well in Europe a 16.5 wouldn't be a medium. Some companies would label that a XL.

3. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Your wedding?

I'd go lighter then navy. Lapel isn't a deal breaker.

4. ctbrew

ctbrew Member

Definitely.

I left my french cuff at my grandma's place when I went to visit. She changed them to normal cuffs without even asking me.

Thanks! I'll have it done.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

If you really like the shirt you can always just replace them with white for high contrast [​IMG]

And I thought my question was too obvious.

6. dbmalo2

dbmalo2 New Member

What tie, shoes, and suit would go best with this shirt?? i have a black, a grey with white thin pinstripe suit, and a brown suit. all kinds of ties and i gotta buy shoes i have a 200 dollar limit on the shoes :/ please help i need it by thursday
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=Navy

7. cardguy

cardguy Senior member

I use Meltonian shoe cream on a pair of brown leather loafers after every two to the three wears. Is it adequate to just work the cream in with a cloth and let the shoes sit, or is there something that needs to be done after the cream has dried, such as brushing or wiping? Thanks!

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have some old shirts with worn collars. Anyone have an idea what to do with those?
    Are they reversible? When I was young I remember (esp. school) shirt collars being reversed when they wore/frayed. It was done at home by mothers or aunties and wasn't all that complicated. Now they weren't working to iGent standards of finish but simply saving money. It might not work for dressy occasions. The wear occurred on the top folded over bit not around the lower band. ( I can't describe it properly if you were here I could point and show you)) edit: I just looked at your link to the wear on the blue gingham - thats it - thats where it wears the wares

9. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have some old shirts with worn collars. Anyone have an idea what to do with those?
    no idea what the font is doing

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Your wedding?

I'd go lighter then navy. Lapel isn't a deal breaker.

Navy is a perfectly acceptable choice of color. Peak lapels are perhaps a little more common with one-button jackets than three-button jackets. A notch lapel is probably the better choice on a 3-roll-2 jacket.

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

What tie, shoes, and suit would go best with this shirt?? i have a black, a grey with white thin pinstripe suit, and a brown suit. all kinds of ties and i gotta buy shoes i have a 200 dollar limit on the shoes :/ please help i need it by thursday
    http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...ult_color=Navy

That's a casual shirt not intended to be worn with a suit and tie. Wearing it with a business suit and tie would look strange. The only way I can envision it looking ok is if it were worn with odd trousers, a sport coat and some kind of casual tie such as a coarse knit tie.

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I use Meltonian shoe cream on a pair of brown leather loafers after every two to the three wears. Is it adequate to just work the cream in with a cloth and let the shoes sit, or is there something that needs to be done after the cream has dried, such as brushing or wiping? Thanks!
    All your questions are answered in Ron Rider's thread on shoe care. It's linked in the "HOF: Glossary of terms/ Best posts/ FAQ/ Links" thread that is pinned at the top of the Men's Clothing forum.

13. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Navy is a perfectly acceptable choice of color. Peak lapels are perhaps a little more common with one-button jackets than three-button jackets. A notch lapel is probably the better choice on a 3-roll-2 jacket.

I didn't say it wasn't acceptable. I said I would go lighter for a wedding. It's festive event. The darker suits can be saved for divorce court -)

14. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

15. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

I just polish the cream in with a cloth. Once its done its done. I don't lather the shoe in the cream and just leave it though. I polish it.