Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Amizerek42

Amizerek42 Member

Is the Nordstrom's sale on AE Park Aves the best price ($219.90) i'm gonna find for a new pair?

2. whiskeybeard

whiskeybeard Senior member

I'm thinking of purchasing a BBBF suit (this one) online, and am trying to determine what size to get. There is no store nearby where I can try one on, so I figure I'll just chance it and return if it doesn't fit, but I'd prefer not to have to. I'm pretty sure I should a be a BBBF2 or 3, but not sure which because

1. In most suits I'm a 40R (6'0 178lbs), which I understand is equivalent to BBBF2.
    2. But I have tried on BBBF dress shirts, and BBBF3 was the best fit (I wear a 16" neck.)

So should I go with the 2 because that matches my general suit size, or a 3 because that matches my BBBF shirt size (and as I understand it BBBF generally runs somewhat slim)?

Thanks!

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Is the Nordstrom's sale on AE Park Aves the best price ($219.90) i'm gonna find for a new pair?
    It does seem to be harder to find popular AE models such as the Park Ave in common sizes for really low prices. All things considered, you're probably getting a pretty good value on Park Aves at $220.

4. KeatonCollar

KeatonCollar Well-Known Member

Question: It is understood that most on SF like to rock a certain look to the utmost. However, are there any parts of an outfit that can be less expensive as to focus on another item? (ex: middle of the road tie with high quality sports coat)

5. onix

onix Senior member

Question: It is understood that most on SF like to rock a certain look to the utmost. However, are there any parts of an outfit that can be less expensive as to focus on another item? (ex: middle of the road tie with high quality sports coat)

Monetary value is quite irrelevant to one's look. Many veterans here look stunning even though their wardrobe is not bespoke, Kiton, EG... (Dig up for pictures of Doc Holliday for example, he doesn't post on WAYWRN much, but each post is a lesson). So if you have a bespoke suit, that doesn't mean your tie or shirt need to be bespoke. As long as they fit and go well with each other, you're good to go.

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I have some old shirts with worn collars. Anyone have an idea what to do with those?

7. onix

onix Senior member

I have some old shirts with worn collars. Anyone have an idea what to do with those?

You can take them to a shirtmaker to have the collars replaced. Expensive and only certain colors (white mostly) though. For example CEGO does it on white only, both collar and cuffs for $60 as in here.

8. KeatonCollar

Monetary value is quite irrelevant to one's look. Many veterans here look stunning even though their wardrobe is not bespoke, Kiton, EG... (Dig up for pictures of Doc Holliday for example, he doesn't post on WAYWRN much, but each post is a lesson). So if you have a bespoke suit, that doesn't mean your tie or shirt need to be bespoke. As long as they fit and go well with each other, you're good to go.

Thanks onix.

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

You can take them to a shirtmaker to have the collars replaced. Expensive and only certain colors (white mostly) though. For example CEGO does it on white only, both collar and cuffs for $60 as in here.

Thanks, onix. Hm, white only. I was thinking about patterned shirts, navy gingham, for instance.

10. Getzione

Getzione Senior member

Thanks, onix. Hm, white only. I was thinking about patterned shirts, navy gingham, for instance.

If all else fails, you can always make pocketsquares [​IMG]

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

If all else fails, you can always make pocketsquares [​IMG]

Great idea. Should've thought of that myself.

12. KeatonCollar

Topic: Brioni sportswear shirt sizing

Bought a Brioni sportswear shirt, size M. The collar is 16.5 inches but the sleeves are 35 inches. I wear 16.5x33. Essentially, the sleeve is extended by the width of the barrel cuff (2 inches).

Is the line designed this way on purpose? The SA said they make the sleeve length this length in Europe as they like long sleeves, however I'm skeptical though.

Is it possible they designed it to allow for as much tailoring as required for a fit?

13. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

If you really like the shirt you can always just replace them with white for high contrast [​IMG]

14. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Would this belt be appropriate to wear with jeans, and is it worth the price on sale?

15. acecow

acecow Senior member

Would this belt be appropriate to wear with jeans, and is it worth the price on sale?

The belt should fit the loops in your jeans. If it fits them, this belt will look good, but if it's too thin, don't wear it with jeans. Simple as that. However, I could never justify spending more than $25 on a belt. I go to Nordstrom Rack where they have a nice selection of belts and buy them there.