Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ctbrew

ctbrew Member

Can a shirt with French cuffs be tailored to have normal cuffs?

2. mattt

mattt Senior member

I'm looking for a pair of trousers for job and future grad school interviews, as my current ones are the dreaded black suit pants. Anyone have recommendations for good quality and relatively inexpensive ones (under $100 preferably), that make a size 29 waist, in charcoal or something else appropriate?

3. blynch

blynch Senior member

Which shoe should I get? Would wear frequently with trousers/button up, and occasionally with a suit. The alden would run ~$50 less.
    A) Black calf C&J Hallam leather sole
    B) Black calf Alden Plain toe Bal on plaza last single leather sole?

Never tried any C&J before, but for Alden the copley last works well for me while the barrie is too loose in the heel/ankle (haven't tried plaza).

4. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

anyone have a picture of a good suit on someone who has very sloped shoulders?

Phat Guido's shoulders are not very sloped but a little more than average. Check his px out.

5. scopecks

scopecks New Member

What I'm looking for is a slim fitting black suit or sport jacket with slit pockets which is somewhat short, with two vents or no vents (shorter jacket), in my size, 36S.

Problematically I've found that it's pretty difficult to find exactly what I want in this size.

I'm a student, 19, in the UK and I realise the value that suits hold, however because I'm a student I'm reluctant to take a train ride to Savile row, as I think a bespoke suit would be way above my price range. I'm looking to pay up to the £650 price range for the jacket alone, currently.

The closest I got to what I was looking for was at a concession in the Trafford Centre Selfridge's called 'Alexandre Savile Row' but I feel the suit there was too business-like and didn't have the right pockets. I am looking for something somewhat versatile, that I can wear with pushed up sleeves and a casual shirt or don a pink dress shirt when the time comes for that.

Here is the style of jacket I am looking to find:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

6. dron

dron Senior member

i have a suit with a non working buttoniere. can i just cut a hole through the fabric inside the stitching or do i have to have a tailor make a real buttonhole? sorry for big crap pics - will take them down as soon as my question is answered. thanks. [​IMG]

7. onix

onix Senior member

i have a suit with a non working buttoniere.
    can i just cut a hole through the fabric inside the stitching or do i have to have a tailor make a real buttonhole?

sorry for big crap pics - will take them down as soon as my question is answered. thanks.
    [​IMG]

Just slit it yourself. No damage will be done.

8. dron

dron Senior member

thank you.

9. asdf

asdf Senior member

If you know if you have hard water supplied to you house and you steam your clothes, do you still use the tap water or use exclusively filtered?

I got tired of buying filtered water at the store so I started using the tap.

Use a brita

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

That's only true if it's a real buttonhole that's tacked shut. It's much more likely that it's a faux buttonhole in which case you cannot simply slit it open inside the stitching.

11. onix

onix Senior member

That's only true if it's a real buttonhole that's tacked shut. It's much more likely that it's a faux buttonhole in which case you cannot simply slit it open inside the stitching.

This is a boutonniere though, not cuff button. Meaning there is no real button there, just a hole right there.

12. rubbishtheory

rubbishtheory Senior member

Does Anyone know who makes/made Bergdorf Goodman's shirts (in Italy) ?

13. eztantz

eztantz Senior member

Contemplating buying an Aquascutum trench coat here on the forum. Does anyone know how they fit - I'm a 46L and his one is a Regular. can someone tell me how they are sized or cut. I know Sanyo's sometimes fit even when they are regulars. Its hard to take sleeve measurements as its a raglan sleeve. Anyone have experience?

14. TieMyShoe

TieMyShoe Senior member

If you know if you have hard water supplied to you house and you steam your clothes, do you still use the tap water or use exclusively filtered?

I got tired of buying filtered water at the store so I started using the tap.

If your clothing is expensive, buy bottled water.

15. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Can a shirt with French cuffs be tailored to have normal cuffs?

Definitely.

I left my french cuff at my grandma's place when I went to visit. She changed them to normal cuffs without even asking me.