Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. cardguy

cardguy Senior member

2. theyare

theyare Senior member

What are the shoulders like on Brooks Brothers Regent cut suits (soft vs. structured). Thanks!

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

4. max_r

max_r Senior member

does Grenson make quality shoes?

I was at an outlet mall today and I noticed a few pairs of leather soled black cap toe grenson oxfords that were regularly 100£ and were marked down to 65£. they seemed solid and well put together, no noticeable flaws, but i dont know the first thing about leather dress shoes and what indicates quality leather, and i didn't want to blow money on something that turns out to be a not very good investment.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

does Grenson make quality shoes?

I was at an outlet mall today and I noticed a few pairs of leather soled black cap toe grenson oxfords that were regularly 100£ and were marked down to 65£. they seemed solid and well put together, no noticeable flaws, but i dont know the first thing about leather dress shoes and what indicates quality leather, and i didn't want to blow money on something that turns out to be a not very good investment.

They have several different lines of varying quality. The discontinued Masterpiece line was a very good quality shoe. The current Rose line is not as good and they have even lesser lines.

6. max_r

max_r Senior member

They have several different lines of varying quality. The discontinued Masterpiece line was a very good quality shoe. The current Rose line is not as good and they have even lesser lines.
    thanks for the info. do you know anything about the quality of their lower end lines? I've googled to no avail, seems like the cheapest I can find online is in the 150£ to 200£ range... I wish i had written down the model name now, haha I guess they probably would have been a good buy for me regardless, as the only black dress shoe I have right now is some ugly rubber soled pair of clarks and i'm not even sure if they're real leather.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

thanks for the info. do you know anything about the quality of their lower end lines?
    Sorry, I do not. I cannot recall having personally seen one of their shoes from anything other than than the Masterpiece or Rose lines.

8. minervau

minervau Senior member

What are the shoulders like on Brooks Brothers Regent cut suits (soft vs. structured). Thanks!

I have a Regent-cut suit from 1818 line and it's a soft shoulder, as you'd expect from a BB suit.

9. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

am i stuck with black shoes if i'm just going to go basic for white shirt, black tie, black waistcoat, black pants for a wedding? not sure if i could get away with lighter colour shoes

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

am i stuck with black shoes if i'm just going to go basic for white shirt, black tie, black waistcoat, black pants for a wedding? not sure if i could get away with lighter colour shoes

I think the only option you have is black shoes.

11. proximityinfotech3

proximityinfotech3 New Member

Why is there so much hate towards rubber soles? I'm not talking about the chunky ones like on skechers shoes, but ones that have the same slim appearance from the side as leather soles. I ask this because I'm in Ohio and our weather is crappy about 75% of the time.

Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts

12. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Why is there so much hate towards rubber soles? I'm not talking about the chunky ones like on skechers shoes, but ones that have the same slim appearance from the side as leather soles. I ask this because I'm in Ohio and our weather is crappy about 75% of the time.

Used Auto Parts | Used Car Parts

Plenty of other posts along these lines - but I think the main thing people will say is that leather soles are breathable/replacable/natural and of course 'correct.'

Of course you can replace rubber soles to but I reckon you will find that most of the best makers use leather soles because they are more elegant, they just look better than their cheaper mass produced little bros.

13. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Are you going to a funeral or a wedding? Why not opt away from the 'basic white shirt, black tie, black waistcoat, black pants' and be a bit more flamboyant?

Otherwise, yep, you are stuck with the black shoes.

14. mojoe_24

mojoe_24 Member

So I have a wedding to go to this weekend (daytime wedding). I have a navy suit I plan to wear and I bought a lavender shirt today to go with it. What are your opinions on going tie-less? Also the only shoes I have are similar to the image posted. I'm thinking of looking at a few brown shoes (though they will be cheap ones) to go with the suit/shirt combo. Brow fine or should I stick with teh shoes I have? [​IMG]

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

So I have a wedding to go to this weekend (daytime wedding). I have a navy suit I plan to wear and I bought a lavender shirt today to go with it. What are your opinions on going tie-less? Also the only shoes I have are similar to the image posted. I'm thinking of looking at a few brown shoes (though they will be cheap ones) to go with the suit/shirt combo. Brow fine or should I stick with teh shoes I have?

[​IMG]

It is a wedding, wear a tie. I think any shoes would be better than the ones that you have there. Brown would be ok, but if you are going to buy new shoes buy a real pair of shoes, not square toe disasters.

Edit: No loafers at the wedding either.