Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

i got a pair of florsheim imperials re-heeled today. the cobbler said he had some very nice "high-quality" leather to use for it, the brand he used is called "ultra." i was expecting vibram? anyone heard of this brand and does it matter in the long run if this guy seemed super competent?

[​IMG]

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

i got a pair of florsheim imperials re-heeled today. the cobbler said he had some very nice "high-quality" leather to use for it, the brand he used is called "ultra." i was expecting vibram? anyone heard of this brand and does it matter in the long run if this guy seemed super competent?
    Your question is confusing. Vibram isn't leather, so I'm not sure how you would expect that if "high-quality leather" was what the guy mentioned. The heel surface is usually either completely rubber or a split rubber/leather. It's hard to tell from your photo, but if the piece stamped "Ultra" is leather, then you have the latter type of heel and it certainly wouldn't say "Vibram" on it.

3. ctrlaltelite

ctrlaltelite Senior member

sorry, i meant he said he had high-quality heels for leather-soled shoes.

edit: ok, looks like i had a pair with the infamous v-cleat heel. so looks like i no longer do. which i'm thankful for because they were really annoying.

4. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

sorry, i meant he said he had high-quality heels for leather-soled shoes.

edit: ok, looks like i had a pair with the infamous v-cleat heel. so looks like i no longer do. which i'm thankful for because they were really annoying.

Brand doesn't really matter. Vibram makes a good product, but the reason you know their name isn't because of that, it's because they market much more then other brands. If your cobbler seems competent, I wouldn't worry. A rubber heel won't run you too much if it needs to be replaced in a year instead of a year and a half anyway, or whatever the life on your heels typically is.

5. xensphere

xensphere Member

Does anyone know of websites that sell cotton and linen fabrics suitable for making pants and ships worldwide? Thanks in advance.

6. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

I'm about to go on a work placement for about 12 months I was looking into the 'essential suits' that I need to have in my wardrobe.

1) What colours? I already have a dark grey
    2) How many suits for the week? One for each 5-day week?

7. onix

onix Senior member

I'm about to go on a work placement for about 12 months I was looking into the 'essential suits' that I need to have in my wardrobe. 1) What colours? I already have a dark grey 2) How many suits for the week? One for each 5-day week?
    Essential colors: charcoal, gray and midnight blue (ie. very dark navy). Ideally 5 suits for 5 days. In tight budget, 3 suits in 3 different colors will do. Minimally 2 suits. Also, it is recommended to get 2 matching pants per suit if possible since they wear out quickly.

8. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

Essential colors: charcoal, gray and midnight blue (ie. very dark navy).
    Ideally 5 suits for 5 days. In tight budget, 3 suits in 3 different colors will do. Minimally 2 suits. Also, it is recommended to get 2 matching pants per suit if possible since they wear out quickly.

In terms of gray, would it be a similar but lighter colour to the charcoal or a more lighter pronounced one à la Don Draper?
    [​IMG]

9. onix

onix Senior member

In terms of gray, would it be a similar but lighter colour to the charcoal or a more lighter pronounced one à la Don Draper?
    [​IMG]

Either will do, but my personal choice is the lighter shade like the one in this picture.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?
    Not true. I don't know where the idea comes from. A sitcom episode?

11. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I'm about to go on a work placement for about 12 months I was looking into the 'essential suits' that I need to have in my wardrobe.

1) What colours? I already have a dark grey
    2) How many suits for the week? One for each 5-day week?

Essential colors: charcoal, gray and midnight blue (ie. very dark navy).
    Ideally 5 suits for 5 days. In tight budget, 3 suits in 3 different colors will do. Minimally 2 suits. Also, it is recommended to get 2 matching pants per suit if possible since they wear out quickly.

I would largely agree except the navy is preferable to midnight blue as the latter is more of an evening wear or formal wear color. Also, the two matching trousers per jacket suggestion is good if you actually wear out trousers noticeably faster than jackets. There are lots of people for which that is not the case.

12. highendstyle

highendstyle Active Member

Favorite button up shirt for under $100? I need to expand my wardrobe!

13. highendstyle

highendstyle Active Member

I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?

I think you can treat it so it doesn't get ruined, but a modest amount of moisture might not affect it, at least it didn't ruin my suede jacket.

14. stevenvg

stevenvg Senior member

I'm flying from US to Asia in a couple of days' time. I have about twenty ties that I need to bring with me. Does anyone have any good transport solutions?

I'm thinking of putting them inside my clothes which I rolled (the clothes, not the ties). So lie each tie flat on a t-shirt and roll the t-shirt with the tie in it.

15. onix

onix Senior member

^ I've done this before. Stack the ties, then roll, then put in a box.