• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried to find the answer to this elsewhere as I'm sure there are posts on it, but was unable (perhaps because I'm not sure about the terminology I should be using).

I'm trying to buy a new belt (actually two) and was wondering about the one belt loop vs two belt loop (where you tuck the belt on the front of the belt) difference.

Is there a stylistic difference here, because I feel like the two belt loop is a little odd looking, but I have heard that single belt looped belts are flimsy (from an admittedly unreliable source).

also specific recommendations for a black belt and a brown belt for use with a pair of walnut allen edmonds lombards would be appreciated (around $100 dollars).

Thanks.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone please recomend me a nice medium weight (Autumn) charcoal fabric with a fine herringbone pattern? maybe a h. lesser, minnis or something?

i dont have access to samples and am ordering via email...

KingPepe

Reaction score
Hey, I'm sorry if this question is asked pretty often, but I am looking for white v-neck shirts to be worn alone with either jeans or shorts for the summer. I really like the extremely white sheened look like I see a lot of people wear (I'm not sure how to better describe it, its uhh... kind of shiny?) and was wondering what brands those shirts are.

My other problem is I have relatively dark skin and a lot of white shirts are see through or heavy nippling for me.

So far I've tried Banana Republic and Armani Exchange, but I dont like Banana's fit, and the Armani shirt that I tried was pretty transparent (although I have heard that there are other AX white v necks that are less transparent)

If anyone would be kind enough to give me some tips or brands to look at that would be very helpful, thanks.

rockyfella

Reaction score
Is there a trick to cleaning brogue shoes? All the cream and wax is clogging the little perforations. Or is this a non-issue and I am just being OCD?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rockyfella
Is there a trick to cleaning brogue shoes? All the cream and wax is clogging the little perforations. Or is this a non-issue and I am just being OCD?

Horsehair brush should remove most of the remaining polish/wax. Once in a while, I use toothpick to clean the inside, then brush.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monkeyzoncrack
Hi,

I tried to find the answer to this elsewhere as I'm sure there are posts on it, but was unable (perhaps because I'm not sure about the terminology I should be using).

I'm trying to buy a new belt (actually two) and was wondering about the one belt loop vs two belt loop (where you tuck the belt on the front of the belt) difference.

Is there a stylistic difference here, because I feel like the two belt loop is a little odd looking, but I have heard that single belt looped belts are flimsy (from an admittedly unreliable source).

also specific recommendations for a black belt and a brown belt for use with a pair of walnut allen edmonds lombards would be appreciated (around $100 dollars).

Thanks.

The number of loops makes absolutely no difference. And don't AE belts run around $100?

dron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drøn
i just got this suit
pop_7118_Handmade%20Sports%20Blazer_navy%20maroon01.jpg

in a linen/wool blend

i want to change the buttons and need suggestions. i would like to be able to use the jacket as a sports jacket or blazer so i think some non matching buttons would be nice, light horn maybe. or shiny brass.
what do you think?
should the buttons in the trousers be the same as in the jacket if i want to wear the set as a suit as well?

what buttons should i put on this?

TieMyShoe

Reaction score
Brooks brothers sale should have belts 50% off, putting them in the $50 range.

Originally Posted by monkeyzoncrack
Hi,

Thanks.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingPepe
Hey, I'm sorry if this question is asked pretty often, but I am looking for white v-neck shirts to be worn alone with either jeans or shorts for the summer. I really like the extremely white sheened look like I see a lot of people wear (I'm not sure how to better describe it, its uhh... kind of shiny?) and was wondering what brands those shirts are.

My other problem is I have relatively dark skin and a lot of white shirts are see through or heavy nippling for me.

So far I've tried Banana Republic and Armani Exchange, but I dont like Banana's fit, and the Armani shirt that I tried was pretty transparent (although I have heard that there are other AX white v necks that are less transparent)

If anyone would be kind enough to give me some tips or brands to look at that would be very helpful, thanks.

You'd probably have better luck with this question in the Streetwear & Denim forum. Most posters in the Men's Tailored Clothing forum aren't going to want undershirts to show let alone wear them as a regular shirt.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cuervo1387
Looking for a pair of dark brown or black shoes to wear with suits. Anyone have any recommendations of comfortable shoes that look similar to these?

http://www.zappos.com/bruno-magli-ma...rk-brown-nappa

I'm not sure if you're just looking for a captoe shoe for which there are many options or an Italian-designed captoe for which there are fewer options. For the former, you might consider either the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue captoe in dark brown or the Crockett & Jones Audley or Hallam models.

enarchay

Reaction score
What do you guys think of AE's color "tan"? I ordered a pair of loafers and wanted them in chili, but they only had them left in tan. I'm not totally sure how they'll look and what I'll think of the color.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
can someone please recomend me a nice medium weight (Autumn) charcoal fabric with a fine herringbone pattern? maybe a h. lesser, minnis or something?

i dont have access to samples and am ordering via email...

The people who know a lot about fabrics generally don't read this thread. In this particular case, you might consider starting a new thread in Men's Clothing and asking your question there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads