Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 1969

1969 Senior member

Is $250 (plus tax) for a NWT Ralph Lauren Made in Italy Wool Sportcoat a good price or just ok? That's 75% off the retail, but guessing these can be had frequently at that.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

So I have noticed that quite a few of my suit jackets have shoulder divots - what I am not sure about is if they were always there and I never noticed (pre SF), or if this is a new devlopment. (I have tied to look at old photos taken in the jackets and because mainly due to poor lighting, just can tell). The strange thing is that they are mostly on my left shoulder more so then my right.

When I spoke to my tailor, he was saying it because my upper arms have got bigger - and I have done a fair bit of boxing over the past six months (say 3 or 4 times a week). Can upper arm growth cause shoulder divots or is it just my tailor trying to stroke my ego?

Yes, in fact it is very likely to cause divots. Imagine a jacket sleeve and shoulder that falls smoothly over a smaller upper arm. Now imagine that your upper arm gets bigger. It now pushes the jacket sleeve further away from your torso and a divot forms at the shoulder to account for the fact that now the slightly-bent outer side side of your sleeve is shorter that the inner side of your sleeve. Does that make sense?

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Another one about trouser length - sorry!

I am pretty tall and slim (6'5" or abt 2m in Europe, 220llbs/98kg). I want to get some serious cuffs on my next suit. Thinking about 2/2.5 inches, is that just going to look dumb on a big lad like me?

It's all a question of proportion and you're pretty tall, so they'll probably look ok on you. See if you can find some pictures of other people with 2"+ cuffs and see what you think.

4. Valor

Valor Senior member

How can you tell which Zegna pants are actually made by Incotex other than price point? Should this be explicitly stated on one of the tags?

I'd like to know this too, asked the Salesman at Saks and he couldn't give me a definitive answer.

5. wysiwyg

wysiwyg Senior member

When should I get leather-soled shoes resoled? It's worn down to the groove for the stitching and as best as I can tell the stitching is also starting to wear. Is this a good marker?

6. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

Is it acceptable to wear argyle socks with summer suits in a non-business setting?

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

When should I get leather-soled shoes resoled? It's worn down to the groove for the stitching and as best as I can tell the stitching is also starting to wear. Is this a good marker?

When they have a hole in 'em, or the toe is worn down to the welt. Don't worry about the groove and the stitching, the soles will still stay on for a while more. They're glued and lockstiched, so even when one stitch dies, the rest will hold, and the sole won't peel off even after you've worn off most of the stitching.

Another test is to push the center of the sole where your ball is in. If it caves in substantially, you know you're getting close. If it's still quite firm, you're fine.

Is it acceptable to wear argyle socks with summer suits in a non-business setting?

Other than formal events, argyle socks are always appropriate. Make sure you have a variety of colors of them, because they go with everything from beat up jeans to a top end suit.

8. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Can someone explain to me the difference between welted construction and handsewn moccasin construction? I'm considering the AE Everett, but I heard that it is not welted; I'm wondering how this will affect comfort as I plan to wear the loafer to classes.

9. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Question about sizing... as you go down in width (e.g. E down from EEE), does the length change at all? I take a 9E in Sperry boat shoes, and an 8.5EEE in the AE McClain. I'm planning to get the AE Everett, and I hear it runs wide, so I probably need to go down to an E. But I'm not sure if I should get it in 8.5 or 9 length-wise. Any ideas?

10. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

I need to buy a few pairs of nice pants to wear to work. I prefer wool pants, and I'd like a few colors (beige, gray, charcoal, etc.) and some patterns would be fine. What are some good standard nice work pants at a reasonable price?

I'm sure this has been discussed so if anyone knows a good thread please let me know.

Thanks!

Bump. I'm sure someone can help with this one. Thanks.

11. TieMyShoe

TieMyShoe Senior member

Question about sizing... as you go down in width (e.g. E down from EEE), does the length change at all? I take a 9E in Sperry boat shoes, and an 8.5EEE in the AE McClain. I'm planning to get the AE Everett, and I hear it runs wide, so I probably need to go down to an E. But I'm not sure if I should get it in 8.5 or 9 length-wise. Any ideas?

http://www.howtodothings.com/fashion...shoe-size.html

That explains generally the lengths and width of shoes.

I don't know the fit of this shoe specifically, but u might want to call them up and ask what last that shoe is in, then walk in a store that sells shoes in that last and try it on yourself (nordstrom, saks, and neiman usually carries AE if u dont have an AE store near). Others on this forum may have a better answer

12. dron

dron Senior member

i just got this suit
    [​IMG]
    in a linen/wool blend

i want to change the buttons and need suggestions. i would like to be able to use the jacket as a sports jacket or blazer so i think some non matching buttons would be nice, light horn maybe. or shiny brass.
    what do you think?
    should the buttons in the trousers be the same as in the jacket if i want to wear the set as a suit as well?

13. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Anyone have any experience with this?

14. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I need to buy a few pairs of nice pants to wear to work. I prefer wool pants, and I'd like a few colors (beige, gray, charcoal, etc.) and some patterns would be fine. What are some good standard nice work pants at a reasonable price?

I'm sure this has been discussed so if anyone knows a good thread please let me know.

Thanks!

Macy's has Ralph Lauren Green Label at decent prices -

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

They are imported though. If you are looking for an American made trouser consider Hart Schaffner Marx, for only a little bit more -

http://www.hartschaffnermarx.com/men...T.svl=deptnav2

15. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

Thanks!

For ~$100 you can get basic wool pants in a variety of fits from BB (on sale). Color selection is limited though. I usually stick with some shade of grey.