Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

I recently bought a pair of trousers. They fit excellent. However, after a couple of wears the pockets have begun to flare out. Can this problem be fixed (by tailor) without the chance of getting the fit ruined?

Perhaps you've gained weight?

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

That's not a shirt, more like a mock neck sweater. Do you see the trim on the diagonal raglan sleeves - typical of a sweater.

I don't think it's a sweater"”it's short-sleeved.

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I don't think it's a sweater"”it's short-sleeved.

It can still be a sweater. Short sleeve sweaters still exist in women's fashion, and used to exist for men, but pretty much died out decades ago.

4. dbc

dbc Senior member

I get the idea that for barrel cuffs, the shirt sleeves should be long enough so that the front edge of the cuff kisses the first joint of your palm. But what about double cuffs (when folded up)?

I ask because I've seen photos where the cuff seems to extend a bit further so that the cufflinks can be seen when wearing a jacket.

*bump*

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

5. onix

onix Senior member

*bump*

Anybody? Thanks in advance.

No, same thing goes for French cuffs. And it should only be 1/2 inch longer than the jacket sleeve. That gives no room to show cufflinks, or you can show about 1/2 of the cufflinks at best. And that's how it's supposed to be.

[​IMG]

6. barkeybark

barkeybark Member

So this is my first post! I was looking forum a fashion style forum where i could ask this specific question:

I am going to a wedding this weekend... and i always have this one theory that a grey suit fits any occasion... however, i usually have the same style... So i need some reccommendations on suits for a wedding. I don't want to look too fancy, i usually where a grey suit with a medium width tie and a matching grey vest; the shirt is usually different colors. I was thinking of buying a new suits to look fresh for this wedding. Its my brother's, so what do you guys recommend?

Hmm.. do you guys discuss such things here already?

7. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I've been on SF almost 3 years but still encounter signs and symbols that I don't understand and haven't been able to interpret based on context. I need some help with translations.

For example, what does an ellipsis mean (...) when it is the only thing that appears in a member's post? It seems like an attempt to be dismissive of a previous post, yet it is often used without quoting a previous post.

Also, what does this (^^^) mean? I sometimes see it at the beginning of a post, such as this: ^^^ nice tie, but it doesn't go with that shirt. I don't see what the symbol adds to the statement, but it must mean something because people are taking the time to type it.

8. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

I've been on SF almost 3 years but still encounter signs and symbols that I don't understand and haven't been able to interpret based on context. I need some help with translations. For example, what does an ellipsis mean (...) when it is the only thing that appears in a member's post? It seems like an attempt to be dismissive of a previous post, yet it is often used without quoting a previous post. Also, what does this (^^^) mean? I sometimes see it at the beginning of a post, such as this: ^^^ nice tie, but it doesn't go with that shirt. I don't see what the symbol adds to the statement, but it must mean something because people are taking the time to type it.
    (...): When someone wants to edit out the entire contents of a post (since posts can't be deleted) (^^^): Referring to the previous post, rather than quoting it (those arrows are pointing to the post above it)

9. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    (...): When someone wants to edit out the entire contents of a post (since posts can't be deleted)

(^^^): Referring to the previous post, rather than quoting it (those arrows are pointing to the post above it)

Excellent. Thank you, sir.

In both cases, then, the poster is betting that his response will arrive quickly enough that someone else's doesn't get sandwiched in between it and the one to which he's referring.

10. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Does anyone know what the Edward Green Coombe looks like? They have it on their sale and I can't find a picture/description anywhere.

11. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

I need to buy a few pairs of nice pants to wear to work. I prefer wool pants, and I'd like a few colors (beige, gray, charcoal, etc.) and some patterns would be fine. What are some good standard nice work pants at a reasonable price?

I'm sure this has been discussed so if anyone knows a good thread please let me know.

Thanks!

12. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

So I have noticed that quite a few of my suit jackets have shoulder divots - what I am not sure about is if they were always there and I never noticed (pre SF), or if this is a new devlopment. (I have tied to look at old photos taken in the jackets and because mainly due to poor lighting, just can tell). The strange thing is that they are mostly on my left shoulder more so then my right.

When I spoke to my tailor, he was saying it because my upper arms have got bigger - and I have done a fair bit of boxing over the past six months (say 3 or 4 times a week). Can upper arm growth cause shoulder divots or is it just my tailor trying to stroke my ego?

13. IronRock

IronRock Senior member

Another one about trouser length - sorry!

I am pretty tall and slim (6'5" or abt 2m in Europe, 220llbs/98kg). I want to get some serious cuffs on my next suit. Thinking about 2/2.5 inches, is that just going to look dumb on a big lad like me?

14. morox

morox Member

How can I tell when skinny jeans are too skinny?

I will post a picture when I get a chance, but:

I am 5'9" and 165-170 lbs and quite muscular (yes, I lift weights). I own a pair of black 511 Stretch (32" wasit) and when I first put them on, they were tight around my quads. After walking around all day in them, they stretched out and no longer feel tight. No part of the jeans now look tight around my skin, but I am still a bit self-conscious on whether or not they look dumb. Like I said, I will post a picture when I get a chance, but I am hoping I don't look ridiculous.

15. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

How can I tell when skinny jeans are too skinny?

I will post a picture when I get a chance, but:

I am 5'9" and 165-170 lbs and quite muscular (yes, I lift weights). I own a pair of black 511 Stretch (32" wasit) and when I first put them on, they were tight around my quads. After walking around all day in them, they stretched out and no longer feel tight. No part of the jeans now look tight around my skin, but I am still a bit self-conscious on whether or not they look dumb. Like I said, I will post a picture when I get a chance, but I am hoping I don't look ridiculous.

There is a similar thread to this on in the Streetwear & Denim room. You'll have better luck if you post there.

- Keith