1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. zeta

zeta Member

Looking to buy a really inexpensive linen/linen blend sports coat to wear this summer. Macy's has the following sports coat in khaki on sale for $36. Alternatively, I could get this one from Old Navy.

I too am looking for a linen sport coat, and the brands I'm more familiar with (such as J. Crew) don't seem to have them this year. I have found:
    John W. Nordstrom Two Button Linen Sportcoat
    L. L. Bean Kennebunk Linen Blazer
    But I can't find any independent comments on what sort of quality or fit they would provide, or even just general commentary about the brand. Anyone know if they're decent?

2. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

I too am looking for a linen sport coat, and the brands I'm more familiar with (such as J. Crew) don't seem to have them this year. I have found:
    John W. Nordstrom Two Button Linen Sportcoat
    L. L. Bean Kennebunk Linen Blazer
    But I can't find any independent comments on what sort of quality or fit they would provide, or even just general commentary about the brand. Anyone know if they're decent?

A bit out of my price range.

3. scribbles

scribbles Senior Member

good belt to match AE Strands in Walnut? (I know I could just go with a belt from AE, but none of them really interested me)

4. miomall1

miomall1 Active Member

Can anyone tell me the width of T.M. Lewin ties? I presume 9 cm...

5. GiorgioHilfiger

GiorgioHilfiger Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the width of T.M. Lewin ties? I presume 9 cm...

I have one from them, and it seems to be 8.5 cm.

6. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Distinguished Member

I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit.

So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.

7. coonky

coonky Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's "natural" (whatever that means), but Hugo Boss cologne smells really really good. Macy's carries it.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit.

So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.

Double vents too.

Also consider ticket or hacking pockets, pleats or no, etc.

9. rubbishtheory

rubbishtheory Senior Member

I will be getting fitted for my first suit on Friday. It will be made-to-measure, as that is about the only option for someone my height/build (5'3, 125lbs). It will be used for job interviews and just as a general post-undergrad first suit. So far, I am thinking the following: two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, European (as opposed to American) cut. Pants uncuffed. Does anyone have any other suggestions or corrections in terms of styling? Any comments at all really? I truly do not want to mess this up and want to go in as prepared as possible.
    Have a look at some of the examples on the WAYWRT thread...you might change your mind about 'uncuffed pants' etc.

10. Nicola

Nicola Distinguished Member

11. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

I'm a college student and in the process of building a wardrobe from scratch, and I want to pick up three BB oxfords during the sale, and I need advice on which colors to get.

I currently have a BB regular OCBD in burgundy stripes, a BB pinpoint oxford in blue, and a JCrew pinpoint oxford in white. I'm planning to get a BB OCBD in blue stripes (I don't have that color yet), solid pink (I don't have that color yet as well), but what should I get for the third shirt? I could get blue, in which case I'll have two shirts in blue (the pinpoint and the regular OCBD); or I could get white, in which case I'll have two shirts in white (the JCrew shirt and the one from BB). Which would you get--white or blue?

12. onix

onix Distinguished Member

I'm a college student and in the process of building a wardrobe from scratch, and I want to pick up three BB oxfords during the sale, and I need advice on which colors to get. I currently have a BB regular OCBD in burgundy stripes, a BB pinpoint oxford in blue, and a JCrew pinpoint oxford in white. I'm planning to get a BB OCBD in blue stripes (I don't have that color yet), solid pink (I don't have that color yet as well), but what should I get for the third shirt? I could get blue, in which case I'll have two shirts in blue (the pinpoint and the regular OCBD); or I could get white, in which case I'll have two shirts in white (the JCrew shirt and the one from BB). Which would you get--white or blue?
    White. I slowly learn that those of us who have to dress up for work, need a lot of white shirts. The best thing is that they go with everything. When I first built my shirt wardrobe, I had mostly blue in various clothes, patterns. Then, I added a lot of pinks (8 or so) (they look great with my skin color). But I now buy and wear dominantly white (in various textures). Oh, and I got rid of all of my stripes, though I think that's just personal taste.

13. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

Whichever one best matches your complexion. 80% of my shirts are blue, because it is my best colour.

14. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Distinguished Member

Which could mean anything.

But this is exactly what I mean. I want to know exactly what I should be looking out for before hand.

15. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

But this is exactly what I mean. I want to know exactly what I should be looking out for before hand.
    To be perfectly frank, the broadness of your question suggests that you know little about the characteristics of tailored suits. Of course, we all have to start somewhere, but you might be expecting too much if you think you can learn enough between now and your fitting on Friday to dictate a bunch of details on the suit. In fact, that is almost surely the way to get it wrong. If I were you, I would stick to as plain vanilla a suit as possible. What you have suggested (two-button, notch lapel, charcoal, no cuffs) is pretty safe. A mistake many guys make is trying to fit a bunch of distinctive or unusual details into their first suit and they end up with some kind of Frankenstein monstrosity. If you really want to develop an understanding of the whole process, I would suggest reading up on it here and in a couple books and then for your second suit, suggest a few refining details that might improve on your first suit.