• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

J Simulcik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RatherAnOddball
Oh, here's another:

I saw a Seinfeld the other day where Jerry's new suede jacket was destroyed by snow. I've never owned suede anything before, but was hoping to get some suede shoes - is it true that even a modest amount of moisture will make them spotty? If not, where does the idea come from that it will?

I have a suede jacket that's seen some fog/light drizzle/flurries, and it's fine. I don't wear it when anything heavier than that is forecast, however.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quick Question: I was thinking of getting a black silk knit slim tie. The two options on the table are the Land's End one or something like it, ie plain black or I saw one at Club Monaco that's black with two white stripes across it near the bottom... My concern was that I couldn't wear it with a shirt other then white.
Would it still work to wear a black tie with white strip on something like a plain blue shirt? (I was thinking to add a white PS to accent?)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
What goes well with orange slacks??

Look at the WAYW thread
1. October 25, Phat Guido (has also done this well with navy blazer, search earlier)
2. October 26 2008, Guy from Shanghai

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can someone please answer me

1. What is the difference/relationship between Glenplaid and Prince of Whales? What are they and how are they similar or different?
2. I haven't been able to find this anwhere... Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the overall quality, styling, etc of Paul Smith suits...? I'm checking one out on ebay but just not sure if I'm paying for a name or if they're even decent suits. Assume I can pick one up for around $350?
3. After a navy blazer, what would you recomend for colors and fabrics for a second and third sports coat?

Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Glen plaid has become a generic term for plaid. The origin of the term from the dictionary says it is short for glenurquhart plaid, from Glen Urquhart, a valley in Inverness-shire, Scotland. Where as a Tartan would represent your family of origin a plaid represents your town or area you are from. Prince of Wales is a specific coloration with in the glen plaid genre. The colors of a Prince of Wales plaid were originally a navy blue with burgundy.

I have no idea of the quality of a Paul Smith suit.

After a navy jacket I would get a lighter colored sport coat. Then you have a dark jacket to wear with lighter trouser and a lighter colored jacket to wear with dark trouser. Could be tan, camel, carmel brown, grey, whatever is a good color for your skin tone and works with your trouser selections.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Is this to say that most cutters today use either the chest measure system, or a table of proportionate measure to work out the appropriate scye depth from the chest measure? Even 1950s texts discuss how scye depth and overshoulder measure can still be useful to experienced cutters, as a way of providing a picture of the proportions of the customer, even if those direct measurements aren't used to draft the pattern.

Depends, drafting a pattern for an individual or creating a block pattern would require different information. Short measures will give more information and detail of a clients proportion so I guess it can be useful. I have tried to draft using these measures and it helps. A visual of the client is still the best because you need a 3D image to know how a client is shaped. Even short measures do not reveal a prominent shoulder blade or a forward shoulder.

Using a table of proportionate measure would be needed for a RTW block pattern but is only relevant if the measurements fits your demographic. A friend purchased a clothing factory and one of the first things he did was update his proportional chart. He found that the average male in the US today is 5'9" and 190 lbs. The proportions the company had been using were outdated. He resized his patterns and the clothing line sales increased substantially due to the improved fit. His clothing actually became the standard sizing several retailers began to use.

The proportional chart is less needed in custom work because I am making one suit for one individual. Only the clients individual measurements and proportions matter.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Quick question: My question is about eveningwear of the not so formal variety. I'm trying to put some stuff together to wear out in the evening to nice-ish restaurants and other things when I'm in Orlando visiting my girlfriend, having no need for that kind of stuff in the town I go to school in. I feel like a suit might be a bit much(not to mention its rarely a comfortable temperature to wear a suit in Orlando, or at least when you're coming in from cooler climates), but that on the other hand, that its easy to look like a chump in a shirt and trousers(am I wrong here?). And then again, what kind of odd jackets would you wear out in the evening? I feel like black is a safe bet for this context, but I don't really want to buy a black suit just for that purpose. Advice? Age is early 20s, if it helps.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Use short measures to determine strap length, scye depth and overshoulder measures. This is pretty much only practiced in Asia now but does have merit.
worship.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sycophant

I'm angling for a discount on my first suit. How am I doing?
sly.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Can someone please answer me
2. I haven't been able to find this anwhere... Can anyone tell me their thoughts on the overall quality, styling, etc of Paul Smith suits...? I'm checking one out on ebay but just not sure if I'm paying for a name or if they're even decent suits. Assume I can pick one up for around $350?

I have a paul smith suit that seems pretty nice. It's got a lot of hand work (lots of pick stitching) and is tagged as made in italy. Mine is an 88% Wool/12% mohair which feels different than most suits so I can't comment on the fabrics he uses.

Mine does not have a hidden naked lady anywhere like some of his suits are supposed to (hidden in the cuffs or somethin)
frown.gif

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I'm angling for a discount on my first suit. How am I doing?
sly.gif

Think of it as getting as close to a Rubinaci as you can get in the U.S., for less money.

There's your discount.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Think of it as getting as close to a Rubinaci as you can get in the U.S., for less money.

There's your discount.

Why, do you wear Rubinacci while you cut your client's suits?

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Why, do you wear Rubinacci while you cut your client's suits?

- B

At one time I considered ordering one for the experience of going through the experience.

I will if you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads