Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

I just picked up a shirt that looks almost exactly like this:

[​IMG]

What would be a good color of pants and shoes to wear this as business casual? (Ad agency, so no tie)

That's a pretty versatile shirt. I'd wear it with tan or gray pants, and brown shoes. Black shoes would work fine too, but I like brown as generally slightly more casual.

EZ

2. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

as im still in college, im looking to buy a black derby/formal shoes that can be worn casually and also for interviews. i have come to a conclusion that grenson kirk/VE derbies are the best options. any more suggestions, but with similar price to the above mentioned shoes? [​IMG]

3. mikearena

mikearena Active Member

Thought I'd try in here first before starting a separate thread.

Shoe fit question: I'm a D (medium/standard) width at the ball of my foot, but my mid-foot is fairly narrow. As a result, when I lace up shoes that fit properly in length and width everywhere else, I can't lace them tight enough. In other words, the two sides are pulled together as tightly as possible, but it's still not snug around my midfoot. As a result, my foot slides around and discomfort results.

Is there anything that can be done for this other than a tongue pad? Is there a certain shoe maker who is known for making shoes with a lower volume mid-foot area?

Thanks!

4. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

A double-breasted, seersucker suit (blue or gray): yes, no, maybe? Is a vest ever acceptable with a double-breasted suit?

If I put a gopher in the mailbox, will he go to heaven?

5. onix

onix Senior member

If I put a gopher in the mailbox, will he go to heaven?

Him, yes. You, no.

6. mrtef3

mrtef3 Active Member

Him, yes. You, no.
    When I die, and they lay me to rest, I'm gonna go to the place that's the best... which for me will be a hybrid of Ben Silver and Borders.

7. CHECKstar

CHECKstar Senior member

Quick question on silk knitted ties: what's the go with the flat strip about 1/3rd of the way down on them? Should that sit at the back of the neck when making the knot?

Sorry to ask again, but am still a little puzzled on this one.

8. onix

onix Senior member

Quick question on silk knitted ties: what's the go with the flat strip about 1/3rd of the way down on them? Should that sit at the back of the neck when making the knot?
    Yes.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Recently received some Kent Wang pocket squares. Nice quality, but I have issues with the folded pocket squares constantly falling down into my pocket. Additionally, with the TV Fold, the pocket squares look sort of narrow. I think this has something to do with the small proportions (12x12). Is there a way to overcome these problems, or should I try to get a refund?

Pocket squares will always slip down. Nothing to do with the maker or quality. TV fold you can re-press to your proportions. Most squares are pressed by equal folds when new.

10. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Pocket squares will always slip down. Nothing to do with the maker or quality. TV fold you can re-press to your proportions. Most squares are pressed by equal folds when new.
    Well, the Kent Wang squares are 12x12, and I have fewer problems with larger pocket squares. I'll try the pressing; might make the folds look better.

11. fxh

fxh Senior member

Does anyone know where to get those Felt boutonnière things? I've seen a lot of people with them and they look really neat.

Yes. Just walk into any shop.

Pick a female sales assistant and say:

"Excuse me - can you tell me where I can get felt "

12. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

as im still in college, im looking to buy a black derby/formal shoes that can be worn casually and also for interviews. i have come to a conclusion that grenson kirk/VE derbies are the best options. any more suggestions, but with similar price to the above mentioned shoes?

[​IMG]

Bump?

13. TieMyShoe

TieMyShoe Senior member

Irish linen shirts at BB, is it worth the price at 40% off? It would end up being $56 after tax. Some of my friends are saying linen should be cheaper than regular cotton, is that true?

14. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

Where can I purchase a really inexpensive linen sports coat for summer-wear? I don't need anything ultra-high quality; just a jacket suitable to wear this summer to look halfway decent and stay cool.

15. onix

onix Senior member

Where can I purchase a really inexpensive linen sports coat for summer-wear? I don't need anything ultra-high quality; just a jacket suitable to wear this summer to look halfway decent and stay cool.

H&M has a lot of linen sport coats during the summer for $50-$60ish IIRC