1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

That is an excellent question. I went in there once and asked for a patterned button down collar shirt in NON non-iron and all of their heads exploded. They couldn't understand why I didn't want non-iron. I never went back to Brooks Brothers.

2. OffTheRack

OffTheRack Senior Member

That is an excellent question. I went in there once and asked for a patterned button down collar shirt in NON non-iron and all of their heads exploded. They couldn't understand why I didn't want non-iron. I never went back to Brooks Brothers.

I bet most of their customers interested in cotton are probably about at the point where they'd consider MTM for anything more than the absolute basics, whereas everyone else in the general population thinks non-iron is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I bet most of their customers interested in cotton are probably about at the point where they'd consider MTM for anything more than the absolute basics, whereas everyone else in the general population thinks non-iron is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Yeah...but BB non-iron sort of is the greatest thing since sliced bread (especially on a shirt you have had for a while so it has worn out a little). Everybody elses non-iron/easycare/whatever is shit...but the BB stuff always seems nice to me.

4. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

I just like to have the option to iron, and I'm not particularly jumping up and down to buy shirts with more chemicals on them.

For those who don't like BB, what other options are there in that price range?

5. TieMyShoe

TieMyShoe Senior Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

buy 2 shoes thats in the 100-150 range (AE on sale would be a good deal) and rotate instead of getting one for 300.

6. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am a young professional in the medical field. I am in the market for a new pair of dress shoes. I need something that is professional, comfortable, and not too over the top as far as style goes. What are the brands that I should be looking at? Yes, I have seen the list of 50+ brands of "top" shoes. However, this doesn't narrow my considerations.

My price range is not huge probably $250-300. Probably a contemporary loafer or an oxford (black). I need to make sure I get a good quality shoe because it will see a lot of wear. Any suggestions please??

I am also worried about leather soles considering that I will be running around a hospital all day and night and need some grip. Takes. . ?

Thanks!! RLB

Call Allen-Edmonds and ask them to send you a list of discontinued shoes in your size. AE makes great shoes and you can get discontinued models for nearly half price.

7. onix

onix Distinguished Member

Call Allen-Edmonds and ask them to send you a list of discontinued shoes in your size. AE makes great shoes and you can get discontinued models for nearly half price.

I don't think they do this anymore. See the second sentence of the second paragraph: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...45&postcount=1 . You can double check though.

8. Wiseguy

Wiseguy New Member

Hello all,

I have a quick question today.
    I'm trying to purchase my first Alden wing tip shoes and
    I'd like to find out what size I should go with.

my foot measurement : 10.5in (Length) x 4.25in (Width)

Should I go with 10D?

Thanks

9. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

Take a look at Allen Edmonds, starting with the classic Park Avenue. Though they're priced at $325 or something like that. One can easily obtain them for way less than $300. With enough patience and search, <$150 new can be found. Also, leather sole is not as slippery as people make it. Moreover, Allen Edmonds shoes have full rubber heels, so that reduces slipperiness significantly. They also have many other models that are rubber soles (but these are not resole-able, so I would not choose them).
    AE's rubber-soled shoes can be resoled.

10. minervau

minervau Senior Member

Question on scarves: what colors match best with a charcoal overcoat?

11. onix

AE's rubber-soled shoes can be resoled.
    Quote from AE Recrafting website "Due to special construction methods, our Italian shoes, Allen Edmonds Crosstown Collection, Allen Edmonds Seven™, driving moccasins, Casual Comfort Collection and some handsewn and woven styles cannot be Recrafted."

12. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

I don't think they do this anymore. See the second sentence of the second paragraph: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...45&postcount=1 . You can double check though.

They did it for me a couple days ago. I'm talking about discontinued models; not seconds.

13. onix

They did it for me a couple days ago. I'm talking about discontinued models; not seconds.

I see. That's good to know.

14. TK21

TK21 Member

I am attending what seems to be an outdoor wedding here: http://www.playgreenriver.com/wedding.php?page_id=2240&name=Wedding_Events. The wedding is scheduled for late July at 5PM.The golf club is located in Southern California

I am at a loss as to what to wear. All the style guides say to go with a dark suit and tie after 5PM. Yet, those same guides also say to wear light colored suits at outdoor ceremonies.

So, here I am to ask your wizened opinions: What should I wear to this wedding? I'd enjoy as many details as possible: color, shoes, belt, shirt, tie, pocket square, etc.

Regards,
    TK

15. chopp

chopp Active Member

I am attending what seems to be an outdoor wedding here: http://www.playgreenriver.com/wedding.php?page_id=2240&name=Wedding_Events. The wedding is scheduled for late July at 5PM.The golf club is located in Southern California I am at a loss as to what to wear. All the style guides say to go with a dark suit and tie after 5PM. Yet, those same guides also say to wear light colored suits at outdoor ceremonies. So, here I am to ask your wizened opinions: What should I wear to this wedding? I'd enjoy as many details as possible: color, shoes, belt, shirt, tie, pocket square, etc. Regards, TK
    not sure if there are any official rules to this, but what ive done in the past is: if it starts in the daytime, wear something light. it would be outrageous to have to switch to something darker colored just because its evening. 5pm in southern california in july = 90 degree heat until sundown (8-9pm). i would think that its perfectly acceptable to wear a lighter suit. with that said, i have a wedding tomorrow and i will be wearing a light grey summer weight suit, white shirt, seersucker tie, white pocket square with brown captoes and a brown belt. then again..im only a noob here as well, so take my advice with a grain of salt? [​IMG]