1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

Are these shoes in good enough condition to warrant the price? Should I opt for these brand new shoes instead? I plan to wear either of these with jeans and khakis and - perhaps eventually and for rare occasions - a suit. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but only if it is absolutely necessary; I want to get the best deal possible. What do you guys think?

2. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

I have to buy groomsmen ties as a gift. They all have the same suit. Should I get them all the same tie, or 7 different ones?

3. dah328

dah328 Distinguished Member

I have to buy groomsmen ties as a gift. They all have the same suit. Should I get them all the same tie, or 7 different ones?
    Different ties. I don't know how it came to be popular wisdom that all the groomsmen are supposed to be identically dressed, but I suspect the Men's Wearhouse had something to do with it.

4. dah328

Are these shoes in good enough condition to warrant the price? Should I opt for these brand new shoes instead? I plan to wear either of these with jeans and khakis and - perhaps eventually and for rare occasions - a suit. I'd be willing to spend up to $200, but only if it is absolutely necessary; I want to get the best deal possible.

What do you guys think?

The used shoes show some odd wear around the heel counter that would concern me. Being balmorals rather than bluchers, they look a little formal for jeans.

5. dah328

Is it possible to turn a 44L into a 44R without destroying the jacket? I can get a great deal on a long but need a regular.
    Maybe. The general rule of thumb is that you can shorten a jacket about one inch before the proportions start to look wrong.

6. dah328

Why does my collar always show above my tie? I know it is not supposed to show, but how do I fix it? Please help- this is really bothering me.
    It's either an improperly fitting shirt or an improperly tied tie. It's hard to tell without a picture.

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Distinguished Member

The used shoes show some odd wear around the heel counter that would concern me.
    The owner says this is caused by shoe trees.

8. dah328

The owner says this is caused by shoe trees.
    If that's true, he doesn't know how to use shoe trees. Used properly, they don't do that to a shoe. Either way, they've resulted in wear to the heel counter that would bother me.

9. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Anyone know if the J Crew Straight Fit Vintage 5-pocket Cords are slim fit? I don't need it to be skin tight - just don't want it to be a baggy fit. Is $40 a reasonable price for them? I have seen some listed on the internets at that price.

I have some (though they are several years old) and they seem slim enough...I wouldn't mind another pair.

I can't tell if they are sized down or not...one tag says 34x32 and another tag says 32x34. The slimness and tightness in the waist would suggest 32x34...but they are not as long as 34l jeans (but that may be that the cords are cut shorter than the denim)

10. dv_indian

dv_indian Senior Member

I have some (though they are several years old) and they seem slim enough...I wouldn't mind another pair.

I can't tell if they are sized down or not...one tag says 34x32 and another tag says 32x34. The slimness and tightness in the waist would suggest 32x34...but they are not as long as 34l jeans (but that may be that the cords are cut shorter than the denim)

Thanks for the reply. I will try one and see how it fits.

11. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Thanks for the reply. I will try one and see how it fits.

I'd love to figure out which size is actually right (though I am leaning towards 32x34 as 32L is pretty short but I could probably swing 32W with no trouble). I think I stepped in a bleach puddle or something...there are some bleach-stain looking spots on one of the legs (all within a foot of the opening)...GRRR!

I never see them in stores (though I don't freqeuent J.Crew stores that often) so I can't just try one on.

12. LRMD

LRMD Well-Known Member

Different ties. I don't know how it came to be popular wisdom that all the groomsmen are supposed to be identically dressed, but I suspect the Men's Wearhouse had something to do with it.

I was hoping for that answer. Thanks.

13. KAALA

KAALA Member

just wondering what you all thought of my early prom suit idea...

black slim suit jacket
    black and white gingham shirt
    slim tie (not too slim and i'm not sure on the exact colour yet)
    black slim trousers
    black and white two-tone brogues

so what do you all think?

14. Dai19

Dai19 Well-Known Member

What is everyone recommendation for a slim fitting, well constructed navy blue suit with a drop of 8? I ask here because I have a pretty large aversion to creating new threads for stupid questions, but I've suddenly found myself in need of a suit and, with a budget of around $500, am sort of afraid of getting screwed.

My second bet would probably be trying Indochino, but I'd very much like to have something that would be made of nice material and I've heard some pretty bad stories about them. I do know a few things about suits, and am basically looking for a brand or store that would carry a reputable suit for around my price range.

To iterate, I'm looking for a:
    Slim-fitting (I'm not against tailoring) Navy suit
    Two buttons
    Medium gorge, slim-esque lapels
    Medium buttonstance
    Preferably brown horn buttons

Thanks in advance, fora.

Super Sneaky Edit: I live very close to both Washington, DC and Baltimore, so I know there's no shortage of stores around here.

15. enarchay

enarchay Senior Member

I have an extremely small wardrobe, and I'm trying to build from scratch. BB is currently having a sale on shirts, and I thought I'd buy two or four prior to the Father's Day sale in case my size goes out of stock. I was planning to get two OCBD's - one in blue, and one in pink. Does that sound good? If I could get two other shirts, what would you recommend? (I was thinking about the blue stripped OCBD, but I'm not sure for a fourth shirt.)