• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yoink
Attention shoppers with Saks that carry Barker Black- have you seen any monkstrap or archdale loafers available? i am dying for a pair, well my gift card is dying to get used, and my local saks doesnt carry barker black.

Can't you get your local one to order in a pair from a store that does?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I frickin love grey dress shoes. They are great for both, great with navy. I have a grey lizard belt by Martin Dingman that is great with them. Check my Hermes grey ones here :

These are the shoes in question pictured below. Sort of a steel grey with some rough black antiquing done. They're cheap leather and glued together ($70), but i thought they might just be a fun color. What I'm interested in finding out is realistically, how often to you get to break these out? and, am I better off just doing a custom order on AE PA's or ebaying+stripping+dying myself?
img4582j.jpg

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, it depends on your patience level. I have no patience or skill for DIY things like that, so I would pay a premium for what I want. I personally would not go for the ones you showed, but if you like that style, go for it. I wore the Hermes ones with a navy linen suit with pinstripes, and it looked great. I also wear them on the weekends with a dark denim. Lobb also makes a really nice pair in grey too.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Well, it depends on your patience level. I have no patience or skill for DIY things like that, so I would pay a premium for what I want. I personally would not go for the ones you showed, but if you like that style, go for it. I wore the Hermes ones with a navy linen suit with pinstripes, and it looked great. I also wear them on the weekends with a dark denim. Lobb also makes a really nice pair in grey too.

OK, thanks for the feedback. Looks like I may take up the idea but pass on this version of it. Hmmm, grey with black antiqueing on a pair of PA's... might make for a fun photo journal thread!

Re: Grey Lobbs, I hear there was a bit of an uproar over those. maybe it was at AAAC?

Veefy

Reaction score
Looking for a pair of upmarket oxford style shoes in burgundy/oxblood colour for say $Aus 400
Suggestions?

saywhatagain

Reaction score
What are the best sites for online shopping, eBay aside?

I currently browse Gilt, Topman, Bluefly, Undergear, and KLoop. Looking for some new suggestions though!

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saywhatagain
What are the best sites for online shopping, eBay aside? I currently browse Gilt, Topman, Bluefly, Undergear, and KLoop. Looking for some new suggestions though!
Depends on what you're looking for and what your budget is. Can you elaborate?

saywhatagain

Reaction score
Looking for stylish outerwear, long pants, and tees, specifically. I generally look for things in the 100$-or-less price range as well. I'm willing to spend on style, but in moderation
wink.gif

Any suggestions?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saywhatagain
Looking for stylish outerwear, long pants, and tees, specifically. I generally look for things in the 100$-or-less price range as well. I'm willing to spend on style, but in moderation
wink.gif

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you want the Streetwear & Denim forum.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Veefy
Looking for a pair of upmarket oxford style shoes in burgundy/oxblood colour for say $Aus 400
Suggestions?

At that price, you have the full range of Allen Edmonds shoes available to you at retail price, many of which are available in burgundy. Alden are probably just slightly out of your price range. Among the English makers, the higher-end shoes such as Edward Green and Crockett & Jones Handgrade are out of your price range. The lower lines from C&J or Alfred Sargent are in your price range, but it seems difficult to find many of their shoes in burgundy colors. Your price point puts you in the no man's land of about 300-600USD that separates the entry level welted/full-grain shoes from the higher-end shoes with channeled soles, higher-quality leather, nicer finishing, etc.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bother...I'm usually on the other side of the pond (streetwear) and I figure you guys are more suited (no pun intended...groan) to help me out...
I'm heading to a semi-formal event and I'm having some problems (trying to dress up with a little color, as I'm assuming everybody is doing the black suit/black tie/white shirt combo)

I'll be wearing:
-"indigo stripe" colored blazer (close up of the color/pattern):
IMG_3007.jpg

-A light blue shirt (not powder blue, although I guess I can do that too)
-Navy tie
-Light grey pants

Now here is where I have a problem...shoes? What would look best?
I have a pair of lighter brown oxfords that I can use, but I'm leaning towards a burgundy pair. If burgundy, is there no other belt I can wear besides burgundy? I only have brown and black belts...are these out of the question?

Also with this outfit - black shoes/belt are out of the question as well, no?

Thanks in advance!

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityHunter
Sorry for the bother...I'm usually on the other side of the pond (streetwear) and I figure you guys are more suited (no pun intended...groan) to help me out...
I'm heading to a semi-formal event and I'm having some problems (trying to dress up with a little color, as I'm assuming everybody is doing the black suit/black tie/white shirt combo)

I'll be wearing:
-"indigo stripe" colored blazer (close up of the color/pattern):
-A light blue shirt (not powder blue, although I guess I can do that too)
-Navy tie
-Light grey pants

Now here is where I have a problem...shoes? What would look best?
I have a pair of lighter brown oxfords that I can use, but I'm leaning towards a burgundy pair. If burgundy, is there no other belt I can wear besides burgundy? I only have brown and black belts...are these out of the question?

Also with this outfit - black shoes/belt are out of the question as well, no?

Thanks in advance!

I think light brown, burgundy, or black shoes could work with that. You do need a burgundy belt for burgundy shoes, so it sounds like you're down to two choices. Especially if it's an evening event, I'd consider black shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads