Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. dah328

dah328 Senior member

what is the best way to remove wax from a shoe after it has been worn?
    Search for "remove wax buildup." There are tons of threads on that.

2. enarchay

enarchay Senior member

What is the preference on wearing polo shirts? Tucked? Untucked? Why or why not?

3. kinch

kinch Well-Known Member

I took my BB slim fit shirt to my tailor to get darts added, but she said she would have to remove the box pleat at the upper back or it would look weird.

What's up with this? I thought adding darts was easy.

4. onix

onix Senior member

I took my BB slim fit shirt to my tailor to get darts added, but she said she would have to remove the box pleat at the upper back or it would look weird. What's up with this? I thought adding darts was easy.
    Adding darts is easy, but to have both box pleat and darts is very odd since they're kind of opposite: - box pleat = more relax, casual - darts = more stylish - box pleat = add freedom - darts = emphasize on the slim silhouette of the body (hence more restrictive)

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I took my BB slim fit shirt to my tailor to get darts added, but she said she would have to remove the box pleat at the upper back or it would look weird.

What's up with this? I thought adding darts was easy.

It is easy but she is right about the box pleat. Think about how a dart works. You are sewing together a fold of increasing width from the back of the shirt to taper it towards the waist. If you have a box pleat in the back of the shirt, the tapering fold will pull the pleat permanently open, something that will definitely look weird and defeat the purpose of a dart.

6. click here

click here Senior member

Does anyone know where I can get a vest/waistcoat similar to this? [​IMG]

7. kinch

kinch Well-Known Member

Adding darts is easy, but to have both box pleat and darts is very odd since they're kind of opposite:
    - box pleat = more relax, casual - darts = more stylish
    - box pleat = add freedom - darts = emphasize on the slim silhouette of the body (hence more restrictive)

It is easy but she is right about the box pleat. Think about how a dart works. You are sewing together a fold of increasing width from the back of the shirt to taper it towards the waist. If you have a box pleat in the back of the shirt, the tapering fold will pull the pleat permanently open, something that will definitely look weird and defeat the purpose of a dart.

If the box pleat is removed, does that mean the chest will also fit slimmer? Will that affect stuff like the shoulders and sleeves?

8. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

Wedding Attire Question...

For my mid-summer wedding, I'm wearing a navy suit and my groomsmen are wearing blue & white seersucker.

It all looks great together, but I'm still confused about what ties everyone should wear.

I'm thinking something that echoes the seersucker for me, and maybe plain navy for them?

If it helps at all, the bridesmaids are wearing coral/pink colored dresses.

Any ideas?

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Wedding Attire Question...

For my mid-summer wedding, I'm wearing a navy suit and my groomsmen are wearing blue & white seersucker.

It all looks great together, but I'm still confused about what ties everyone should wear.

I'm thinking something that echoes the seersucker for me, and maybe plain navy for them?

If it helps at all, the bridesmaids are wearing coral/pink colored dresses.

Any ideas?

The obvious choice of tie for a navy suit is the traditional wedding tie (lots of threads on that topic in MC). The combination of the relatively formal navy suit and informal seersucker seems a little odd to me. It sounds like you want to coordinate what you and your groomsmen are wearing and I don't know why you'd want to do that. If it were me, I would have them all wear different ties that worked with seersucker. The whole idea that all the groomsmen have to be identically dressed comes from the Men's Wearhouse school of wedding attire.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

If the box pleat is removed, does that mean the chest will also fit slimmer? Will that affect stuff like the shoulders and sleeves?
    There will be no change to the width of the back of the short because the yoke cannot be reasonably altered. Because of the 3D nature of any shirt, you may feel some increased tightness in places, but you could easily simulate removal of the box pleat by pinning it shut and then trying on the shirt.

11. imightbechad

imightbechad Senior member

The obvious choice of tie for a navy suit is the traditional wedding tie (lots of threads on that topic in MC). The combination of the relatively formal navy suit and informal seersucker seems a little odd to me. It sounds like you want to coordinate what you and your groomsmen are wearing and I don't know why you'd want to do that. If it were me, I would have them all wear different ties that worked with seersucker. The whole idea that all the groomsmen have to be identically dressed comes from the Men's Wearhouse school of wedding attire.

I toyed around with that idea, but I balked when trying to figure out different ties for the seersucker.

Thought this would look nice with the seersucker:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8062/28062.jsp

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I toyed around with that idea, but I balked when trying to figure out different ties for the seersucker.

Thought this would look nice with the seersucker:

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...8062/28062.jsp

There's all kinds of tie options with seersucker. Personally, I'm a fine of pale tones with seersucker, but if you do a google image search for seersucker suits, you'll see all kinds of tie pairings.

13. Exit English

Exit English Senior member

Any ideas on some watch brands/models similar to the Rolex Submariner? I love the look of that watch but I definitely cant afford a real one, and Im not into the idea of buying a replica.

14. minervau

minervau Senior member

Tie bars -- wear them horizontal or at a diagonal angle?

According to Flusser, tie bars go diagonally based on the rule that "nothing out to cross the body in a horizontal line" or something like that, but where the hell does he get that from? The vast majority of tie-bar photos I've seen just go straight horizontal.

15. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

these are the new borrelli shirts from vch

http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...te=&att_value=

i am wondering what the relative slimness are of these shirts. i asked Lance about the Finamore, and he said they were relatively slim, but they were not, they were full blown tents.

so i ask here before i get the denim one.